• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon Celebrates 15th Anniversary on Sunday

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Should this really be considered fifteen features? Isn't it more two versions of the same movie? I guess since the games are all considered different... but it feels wrong.

Either way, there are now more Pocket Monsters movies than Land Before Time movies.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
What a heartwarming article. Pokemon sure has come a long way.
Eri94

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yay Pokemon Very Happy
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
641 Pokemon? Anime dazed Seriously, they MUST be running out of ideas for them with that high of a number. I digress though...

Happy 15 years for Pokemon. Anime hyper
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Long live Pokemon! I was a fan since the day it came out in the west. I remember all the crap we had to go through by everyone who wasn't a fan.

Being lectured by the preceding generation such as my older brothers who grew up on Transformers, Ninja Turtles, He-Men, GI Joe and whatnot, about how the show is just a merchandise ad. Man, the that generation was smart enough to see Pokemon as a merchandise ad but stupid enough to admit their shows were more obvious toy ads with less intellectual stories ie, The Girl Who Loved Powerglide and Deception Raider in King Arthur's Court. I dare say Transformers Galaxy Force is the best TF series in terms of story and I'm a guy who used to watch Transformers not just before Beast Wars, but before even the Generation 2 cartoon. G-Whiners can sulk on that.

Teachers telling us we couldn't draw Pokemon in art class but drawing X-Men and Batman was okay. I still drew them because (pardon the expression) [Beep] them.

Parents complaining about how they couldn't understand what the show was about. But I felt it was more like they didn't want to know, or they were just from a generation of cartoons that had no stories or conflicts, Hanna Barbera Top Gun, Flintstone stuff.

It still burns me up having to have put up with all that double-standard.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Whoa whoa! $59 for Black & White? I would pay at most $50 since the others (D/P/Pt - HG/SS were each $40). $59... Whatever I'm still going to buy it, and it better be worth it. Yes, I do realize it is the suggested retail price.

A lot of Pokemon fans have build up in the past 15 years.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Whoa whoa! $59 for Black & White? I would pay at most $50 since the others (D/P/Pt - HG/SS were each $40). $59... Whatever I'm still going to buy it, and it better be worth it. Yes, I do realize it is the suggested retail price.

A lot of Pokemon fans have build up in the past 15 years.

Those are prices in Japan. The US is selling B/W for the usual $35
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Long live Pokemon! FTW!!! Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Y'know what's funny? When Pokemon first came out in America, I thought it was just yet another pointless stupid fad, like pogs or yo-yos and refused to get into it until my mom bought home Blue unexpectedly (I think it was because all the kids were playing it or something) and I remember actually being kinda mad at her. Then I played it and I've never looked back!

Sure, I abandoned the show after the Indigo League (maybe after Orange Islands) but the games? Never! It's actually kinda funny, I haven't been this giddy for anything in years! There's little more than a week left and I've been trying to minimalize spoilers (sure, I've seen Pokemon pics, but except for the starters and the legendaries, I'm not 100% sure what the types of said Pokemon are or where to find them, what moves they learn, ability, etc). I've also enjoyed many of the spin offs, Snap (my fav N64 game, hehe), Pinball R&S, Colosseum, and Anime hyper, always up for more Pokemon goodness!

So Happy Birthday, Pokemon! May you forever continue to own my wallet and my soul!
sainta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
The "Gotta Catch 'Em All" phrase appears to be joke now-a-days with over 600 pokemons
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This makes me feel incredibly old.
Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
I was one of Pokemon's original fans. The first time I ever saw the Pokemon show was NOT on Kids WB, but FOX Kids....waaaay back in the day.
I still have my Red Version, and am planning on getting White next week.

Admittedly though, my memory stopped memorizing the name of every monster by gen 3....it's gotten slightly confusing with so many critters to catch!!

Anime hyper
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember being so much into Pokemon when it first came over here.

And I was already way too old for it. I was in high school. Needless to say, I didn't make m(any) friends in high school.

Watched the show until I lost interest around the Johto season. Kept up with the movies now and then (Mewtwo Strikes Back is still the best). Still play the main games at the age of 27. Getting White or Black when that comes out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamui85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
This makes me feel incredibly old.
Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
I was one of Pokemon's original fans. The first time I ever saw the Pokemon show was NOT on Kids WB, but FOX Kids....waaaay back in the day.
I still have my Red Version, and am planning on getting White next week.

Admittedly though, my memory stopped memorizing the name of every monster by gen 3....it's gotten slightly confusing with so many critters to catch!!

Anime hyper

SAME THING HAPPEN WITH ME. At gen 3 my internal hard dirve was full of pokemon names lol
kamui85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I remember being so much into Pokemon when it first came over here.

And I was already way too old for it. I was in high school. Needless to say, I didn't make m(any) friends in high school.

Watched the show until I lost interest around the Johto season. Kept up with the movies now and then (Mewtwo Strikes Back is still the best). Still play the main games at the age of 27. Getting White or Black when that comes out.

Same here, i think the show would've been much better if it changed characters/story along with the coming of each game. Like the manga does.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I was a kid in elementary when Pokemon came out. I was ****ing obsessed with it. I played Pokemon Blue, Yellow, Gold and Silver on the GB Color. I watched the show all the way until the end of the Johto season. I still own a Pikachu pillow I got back when I was a kid.

Then Digimon came, and it was all over...

10 years later, i'm back to playing Pokemon FireRed and Emerald thanks to a friend, and now I can't wait for the B&W games. Pokemon is back in my life, and at 19 years old, I don't think it's going away anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3