• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Spring 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clipeuh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=0&tag=&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=0&em=0&ed=0&ey=0&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&gx=0&o=3&w=2&show=620

Aku no Hana is now the lowest rated TV series in the entire MAL database. This is getting pretty hilarious.

It's sad that so many people judge that show only based on appearances because in every other way, it is competently made. The soundtrack is great, the backgrounds are good, the pacing is just fine and the writing is good. It's just not a bad show.

I wonder what's going to happen next. If the japanese side seemingly has the same reaction as the american side, you've gotta think that some of the higher-ups in the production team are going to be mad. I hope the director and the animation don't suffer any consequences from this, because they definitely have talent. Confused
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:38 am Reply with quote
clipeuh wrote:

I wonder what's going to happen next. If the japanese side seemingly has the same reaction as the american side, you've gotta think that some of the higher-ups in the production team are going to be mad. I hope the director and the animation don't suffer any consequences from this, because they definitely have talent. Confused

Oh, I'm fairly certain there were expectations that this wouldn't go over all too well at the onset. Here's a summary culled from a translation of an interview between the anime director and mangaka. The bolded parts are of my own emphasis.

kuromitsu wrote:
In short (note that this is a quick & dirty summary):
- At first Nagahama (the director) refused the offer to direct the adaptation, because he thought that simply turning this manga into a pretty, clean-looking anime would be pointless. He says that he believes that when the mangaka draws this story he's seeing something "else" which he expresses as a manga. So there would be no point in simply presenting it in animated form, at that rate you might as well just read the manga and be done with it.
- He thought if it was to be adapted at all, it should be done as a live drama. When he was offered the job the second time, he pitched the idea of using rotoscope. He was aware that the result would be different from the manga.
- Oshimi (the mangaka) says Nagahama is right about the way he creates the manga: the original story is something that exists in his head, and he draws what he sees in his mind. So basically the anime and the manga are two different versions of the story that exists in Oshimi's head. By the way, he was also aware that due to the rotoscope the anime would look different from his work, and he thought it was an interesting idea.
- Oshimi also says that he thinks Nagahama has a very deep insight into the story, and firmly believes that he's taking it in the right direction. He also very much approves of Nagahama's wish of the anime leaving the viewers with a scar.
- Oshimi was pretty much "in" on the whole thing, they tested the rotoscope method on him.
- The interviewer asks about the impact the visuals would have on viewers, and Nagahama says he's well aware that a lot of people will go "what the fudge" and "this is gross," "I hate this, I'm not watching this." But he's pretty much okay with that, too, because he thinks it's fine as long as it leaves an impact on people. Viewers may dismiss it right away, but some may check it out later and find it interesting, or they may come across the manga, recognize the title, and read that.
- Oshimi says that he once got a fan letter from a high school girl who wrote that when she read the manga in middle school she thought it was stupid, but she tried to read it again when she was older and she found it very good. Nagahama says that this is what he's going for, to leave an impact, even if it's negative. He's trying to create something that one can't just ignore or dismiss.
- Oshimi also says that the anime has many scenes that he wishes he would've drawn the way they are in the anime, for example a scene with Kasuga and Nakamura in the classroom.
- Also, he confesses he's writing the manga with the intention of murdering the readers with it (metaphorically, of course), thinks the anime is doing the same, and relishes the idea of the viewers getting slaughtered, jokingly of course. (lol #1)

They leave the following messages to the fans:
- Oshimi: He guarantees that those who feel very strongly about Aku no hana will enjoy the anime. However, chara-moe types, those who go "Nakamura-san, unf unf" will probably feel betrayed. (lol #2)
- Nagahama: Since it's so different from the usual anime, he can't say that everyone will love it. But those who watch the first episode and think "I want to see more" will not have their expectations betrayed.

If anything, this made me want to watch the show even more. I hope they're right and it's going to be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
Talking about catering to pre-existing fanbase, if they had used the original illustration for Red Data Girl anime, how many of ya guys would not had complained and not watch it? Laughing

danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
I dont see why man shouldnt be allowed to experimentise on pre-existing material.Nothing bad will happen,the original will still be there and director wanted to express new emotion within animation.
Also I see that you people make it sound like Aku no Hana manga has a huge fanbase,and that they were all deeply disappointed in this anime.Well the fanbase is relatively small and most people complaining about this anime have never actually read manga.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
It's nice to see a show trying something different, whether it ends up working or not. I'm actually looking forward to it more now.
Same here-- I was not at all interested in this series until I saw the design of the anime. Still may not be very interested, as the story doesn't sound terribly compelling (admittedly, I'm super-cynical when it comes to anime nowadays) but at least it doesn't look like a cookie-cutter copy of 95% of what gets released lately. I'll probably eventually check out the first few episodes at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tearitdown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Assuming that interview summary is accurate, I feel even better about this. One can't really claim disrespect if the author himself approves of the adaptation. Unless of course somebody up and tries to speculate Mr. Oshimi is prostrating himself and compromising his integrity before a PR department, like in the hopes of upping his sales. But there's no proof of that. Like I said, the staff felt the more realistic style suited the piece better, and so we get this rather than the angelic-looking adolescents with glowing white skin we might otherwise have gotten.

Besides, it's not a moral high ground to cry foul when a property diverges from a given source. It's the program's investors that incur the capital risk and frankly they should be able to do whatever it is they want with the property, if they feel it is appropriate. I mean, as a general rule, one wants to be as faithful as possible to a given work if eyeing only sales, given the nature of our little venomous community, but as a fan one's money and time is invested in the seminal work, it doesn't therefore follow that one is entitled to anything more. Though at this point in the thread I feel as if I'm just echoing sentiments.

And then again... it's not impossible some backwash couldn't also soil the source, it's just unlikely to deter already existing fans from continuing to partake and just ignoring what they consider a blemish.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
From AnimeNewsdotbiz:

Humberto wrote:
Looks like MBS and the production committee held back Attack on Titan streaming rights. Not expecting a late pickup either.

Alright gentlemen....

*cracks knuckles*

Start your bitching. Evil or Very Mad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
No reason to. They're free to do with their property what they want. If they wish to withhold legal streams for the title from the rest of the world then that is their choice.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No reason to. They're free to do with their property what they want. If they wish to withhold legal streams for the title from the rest of the world then that is their choice.

True, but... why would they want to?

What could they possibly stand to lose by allowing their show to be simulcast in other countries? This isn't like a reverse importation issue or anything like that. It would only be good for them as it would bring in more fans at an international level.

And this isn't even like the JoJo situation, which was rife with license issues. It basically boils down to "we aren't going to simulcast this because we don't want you watching it."

The fact that this was one of - if not THE - most anticipated shows of the season makes this bite even harder. The manga is already being released in the US to an English speaking audience, and has quite a sizable following. This show has the potential to be a big hit in other countries. It would be an entirely different situation if this was just another moe-moe schoolgirl slice-of-life show, but this is a big high-profile blockbuster title. Why MBS and the production company choose to keep it to themselves makes no sense, really. All it does is give the pirates an excuse to steal their stuff, and rips off the true fans who want to watch the show legally.

It would be like a bakery openly putting out a tray of decadent, delicious looking cookies in their display window, then saying "Sorry, these are for staff only."

Yes, they have every right to do what they want with their own properties, but it's honestly kind of a dumb thing to do.

EDIT: Seems like there's at least one country that's getting to simulcast it.

WTK wrote:
Series is getting streamed in France (starts Apr 8th). So the series is not completely unavailable outside of Japan.

Good news for French fans. I gotta ask, though.... Why ONLY France and no where else? Did they strike some sort of exclusive deal or something? Confused
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Wait so AOT isn't coming stateside? Great, we get all the table scraps while Japan & France get the nice fancy steak....le sigh. Crying or Very sad
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, it hasn't been 100% confirmed yet has it? I'm kind of hoping that there was some incorrect info given at some point and it will still be picked up.

I'm curious as to what else will be picked up, though, as crunchyroll still has at least 3 more series they'll be streaming, and I'd find it kind of odd if Funimation only streamed 2 series total this season. Plus I'm pretty sure The Anime Network has yet to pick anything up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

It would be like a bakery openly putting out a tray of decadent, delicious looking cookies in their display window, then saying "Sorry, these are for staff only."

No, it's like if a bakery chooses not to put out any free samples.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

No, it's like if a bakery chooses not to put out any free samples.

Considering that most of the streaming services require a paid subscription to watch the first run anime episodes, or make you wait a week and sit through several ads with the free streaming, and considering the fact that you pretty much have to pay for high-speed internet in order to enjoy streaming at all...

...I really wouldn't consider those samples to be "free". Confused
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that MBS has experienced lower viewership with anime recently and thinks it has something to do with CR/Funi/TAN/Viz/Hulu livestreams (which are then quickly ripped, re-encoded, and then torrented all over the world).

Other than that possibility I'd have no idea why they would choose to withhold streaming rights, but regardless they have every right to do so.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My guess is that MBS has experienced lower viewership with anime recently and thinks it has something to do with CR/Funi/TAN/Viz/Hulu livestreams (which are then quickly ripped, re-encoded, and then torrented all over the world).

Other than that possibility I'd have no idea why they would choose to withhold streaming rights, but regardless they have every right to do so.

The shows was already uploaded 3 hours after it aired so I doubt that's really what they were going for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16