• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Nightmare Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerbilx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Pikachu hasn't been a marketing mascot in many, many years. At. All. You can generally catch it, but it's never been given any in game attention after Yellow.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Since I threw away my dignity years ago, I would've been the first person in line to try Galgun had it been released in the U.S.

As for Catherine...I'll get around to it eventually, Quite frankly I find the character graphics to be a bit strange looking, and not "deliberately" strange but rather "awkwardly designed" kind of strange.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I'm thinking more like Donkey Kong meets Silent Hill

That's... actually pretty spot on!
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Very glad Catherine is coming over here. I love Atlus.

I wish you would have wrote something about Dragon Age 2, but the mention is nice at least. I'm getting as soon as I can.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
apparently Troy Baker is going to play Vincent:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Troy-Baker/35058755892?sk=wall&filter=2

This game's awesomeness just got turned up a notch
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
The news about Chinatown Fair closing down, made very sad though I have never been there or heard of the place but it just makes me sad when an arcades close down for good, something similar happened to a small arcade room in a City's Mall it was sad since most kids go to Howie's (which is right next to the arcade which pains me Anime hyper)

Arcades are becoming more and more rare as time marches on.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I think that Catherine is grossly overhyped. Go back a couple months and not many people were interested in the game. Fast forwards to around late January when several websites started releasing videos and stuff and magazines published articles about it and got the internet talking about it. At that point it was a no brainer for Atlus to release the game in the states.

I predict that by the time it comes out here, maybe 1/6 of the people who are gushing over the game right now will actually buy it. Despite what many people believe, if you don't like Persona style games you WON'T like Catherine. Just because "the cover looks sexy" doesn't mean its a game you'll like Rolling Eyes

Am I alone on this or does someone actually agree with me on this? Very Happy
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
I think that Catherine is grossly overhyped. Go back a couple months and not many people were interested in the game. Fast forwards to around late January when several websites started releasing videos and stuff and magazines published articles about it and got the internet talking about it. At that point it was a no brainer for Atlus to release the game in the states.

I predict that by the time it comes out here, maybe 1/6 of the people who are gushing over the game right now will actually buy it. Despite what many people believe, if you don't like Persona style games you WON'T like Catherine. Just because "the cover looks sexy" doesn't mean its a game you'll like Rolling Eyes

Am I alone on this or does someone actually agree with me on this? Very Happy
I'd have to disagree, not many new IP's get the attention of fans and gamers like Catherine has since it's debut trailer. I think it's working in reverse from the way you listed. Months ago more people were interested in this game before the realized Atlus is allowed to make games other than SMT RPG's. Well I'm just as excited now as I was months ago for this game.

I can't wait to play Vagrant Story. I was late to the party on this one, and have been waiting for Square Enix to get this up on PSN for some time now. Which bring me to a question I've had recently. Why does the NA branch of Square Enix suck so much? Europe is getting games way earlier and their getting all the awesome special editions, while we get to wait.

And as far as Galgun goes, I know it was just a demo but I can't understand what issues people would have with it. Now I haven't played any H-games aside from Tears to Tiara, so don't confuse me with someone who gets off on this stuff but the content didn't seem that offensive to me.

For the past three years I've said this but this year truly has the potential to be one of the best years for gaming releases, at least for me. Just as I make an attempt to spend less on anime I'll spend significantly more on gaming, not what I was planning but I won't complain.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The timing of Catherine's release date is pretty good. Up until now, the only game coming out in the summer that I wanted was Infamous 2.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I know that it's being hyped to death, but I can't wait for Catherine. There aren't many games coming out right now that I'm really excited about, and seeing a psychological puzzle game that combines themes of sex, commitment, death and nightmares (from a publisher I love, no less) is welcome by me. The fact that it looks like a candy-colored Silent Hill 2 sealed the pre-order deal for me; here's to hoping it's not a disappointment.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Haven't companies like Atlus and NIS America proven that we enjoy throwing extra money at games just for some frivolous, closet-bound merchandise? I think they have.

In deed they do...
I'm a sucker for soundtracks by the way. In case any industry folk might be lurking. Anime smile;;
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
You forgot to mention that Arcade Infinity closed it's doors too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Catherine: Think Ghouls n Ghosts meets Persona and you get the basic idea behind this game.

I'm thinking more like Q*bert meets Persona.

I'm thinking more like Donkey Kong meets Silent Hill

Haha nice ones! Anime hyper

GnG + Donkey Kong + Silent Hill + Persona = Catherine

There, that's the equation XP
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
Quote:
Haven't companies like Atlus and NIS America proven that we enjoy throwing extra money at games just for some frivolous, closet-bound merchandise? I think they have.

In deed they do...
I'm a sucker for soundtracks by the way. In case any industry folk might be lurking. Anime smile;;

Same here. Soundtracks don't necessarily get me to shell out for a collector's edition, but they definitely make me think about it.
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
You forgot to mention that Arcade Infinity closed it's doors too.

Oh man, I was going to hit that place on my next trip to LA, guess it's not gonna happen Sad

Regarding Chinatown Fair, I used to go there whenever I could when I lived in the NY area. Such a shame they closed down, I thought that was a pretty decent arcade...

Now I'll have to go back to Japan to get my arcade fix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3