• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Black Magic M-66 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The master has been out of print for 10 years. That's why.

That... didn't stop Discotek from putting on the late 1970s Toho commissioned dub for Mystery of Mamo on their recent DVD release. That dub was in fact never even officially released on home video in its entirety before now and the soundtrack that appears on the new DVD was put together from a couple of different sources for the highest quality.

Discotek have actually made a point of rescuing pre-existing dubs for virtually every anime release they have done. So it can be done, and people have a right to expect it to be the case given Discotek, and others', precedents.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Discotek have actually made a point of rescuing pre-existing dubs for virtually every anime release they have done. So it can be done, and people have a right to expect it to be the case given Discotek, and others', precedents.

Yes, I'd say Discotek has made a nice precedence with grabbing up all dub materials, so I do expect others to follow suit. It's not the same as creating a new dub from scratch, so it can't be compared to dubbed or sub-only new properties. They should have grabbed the English audio, it couldn't have been some massive extra cost. Given that this is Sentai, we'll never know their reasons.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yes, I'd say Discotek has made a nice precedence with grabbing up all dub materials, so I do expect others to follow suit.

Well, it's more like Discotek is willing to search as hard as they can for an English dub if the Japanese don't give them one. I remember hearing that they asked for anyone who had a dub master of Taro the Dragon Boy when they first started up & then there's the whole four dubs of Lupin: Mamo, which required extra work from a third party.

Most companies don't go through the trouble of doing this extra work because it might not seem worth it. Discotek simply goes the extra mile in this regard.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'm guessing either the dub was "lost" after all these years, or it was one if the rare cases where US Renditions/Manga kept ownership of the dub. It's also possible the license holders have some issue with it, and are refusing to allow it to be released again.

It's a shame when the Japanese owners don't get a copy/subsidiary right of it for themselves as an afterthought if they could re-license the work with it in the future.

Lord Geo wrote:
Well, it's more like Discotek is willing to search as hard as they can for an English dub if the Japanese don't give them one. I remember hearing that they asked for anyone who had a dub master of Taro the Dragon Boy when they first started up & then there's the whole four dubs of Lupin: Mamo, which required extra work from a third party.

I'm sure it was easy if they ripped the audio from an old VHS release for Taro The Dragon Boy as it had saw a US release back in the 80's. I actually helped them with "Animal Treasure Island" myself and I'm grateful for letting more people watch it in English if they must (it's not that bad people).

Quote:
Most companies don't go through the trouble of doing this extra work because it might not seem worth it. Discotek simply goes the extra mile in this regard.

I'm sure with those older properties the rights either are in limbo or expired.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Bamble wrote:

Yes, I'd say Discotek has made a nice precedence with grabbing up all dub materials, so I do expect others to follow suit. It's not the same as creating a new dub from scratch, so it can't be compared to dubbed or sub-only new properties. They should have grabbed the English audio, it couldn't have been some massive extra cost. Given that this is Sentai, we'll never know their reasons.

Maiden Japan, not Sentai. Wink So far MJ hasn't even attended any cons, so it's harder to get information from them. They do have a website up now. Sentai and Section 23 are really good about responding to emails. I'm not sure about Maiden Japan though.

They really have no control over the materials that are given to them by the Japanese rights holders. If they didn't supply the dub, or no longer had a copy of it, there's not much they can do about it. True, they could attempt to hunt down a copy of the VHS or DVD with the dub, but their contract may not allow them to use it on a home video release.

Also, if Manga actually owns the rights to the dub, Maiden Japan would actually have to license it from them. It's a short, older OVA and it may not be worth the added cost, assuming they were even able to license it, or that Manga still had masters available.

All we know is that the dub wasn't provided with the masters. Why the Japanese were unable or unwilling to do so will probably always be a mystery.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So far MJ hasn't even attended any cons, so it's harder to get information from them.
Weren't they at Otakon 2011? I seem to recall a large-ish color sign for 'em by a table adjacent to the Sentai Filmworks table.

Also, if Matt Greenfield attends a con, isn't that really the same thing as Maiden Japan attending a con? Cool

If I had my druthers in the matter, Maiden Japan would have commissioned a dub itself for this. I would have preferred that this be dubbed by them over Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Crying or Very sad
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
So far MJ hasn't even attended any cons, so it's harder to get information from them.
Weren't they at Otakon 2011? I seem to recall a large-ish color sign for 'em by a table adjacent to the Sentai Filmworks table.

Also, if Matt Greenfield attends a con, isn't that really the same thing as Maiden Japan attending a con? Cool

If I had my druthers in the matter, Maiden Japan would have commissioned a dub itself for this. I would have preferred that this be dubbed by them over Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Crying or Very sad

I meant attending a con as in actually hosting a panel. I'm pretty sure Matt Greenfield hasn't hosted a industry panel since before ADV was split up.

And everyone has their own opinions on what should be dubbed. Tokyo is being released overseas, so they were more likely to make their money back on that one (of even had assistance in the production of the dub.)
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
ADV doesn't exist.
It's extant enough to sue Gainax and be sued by Funimation.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
No dub? Even when one already exists?

Yeah, bullcrap. Ain't buyin'. I'll go watch the old VHS instead. Evil or Very Mad

How the hell weren't they able to get the Manga dub?

Guess it's time to put a latex cap on my little sister and tap the Make A Wish Foundation...

Plus the Manga dub VHS is pretty hard to find as well.

Since I ripped the dub off of Encore in 2005, Maiden Japan/ADV just got themselves customer.

Hahahahahahahahaha no Manga Entertainment or U.S. Renditions Dub rerelease in North America after Ninja Scroll the [unrated US/18 Can] of Manga then Sentai Filmworks not Manga UK
Manga dub on DVD vs Maiden Japan sub on DVD
no reason
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yeah, bullcrap. Ain't buyin'. I'll go watch the old VHS instead. Evil or Very Mad

Guess it's time to put a latex cap on my little sister and tap the Make A Wish Foundation...

Since I ripped the dub off of Encore in 2005, Maiden Japan/ADV just got themselves customer.

Hahahahahahahahaha no Manga Entertainment or U.S. Renditions Dub rerelease in North America after Ninja Scroll the [unrated US/18 Can] of Manga then Sentai Filmworks not Manga UK
no reason

What does this even mean?
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
11G4GUNOT wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

no reason

What does this even mean?

sub vs dub war on DVD
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:

I meant attending a con as in actually hosting a panel. I'm pretty sure Matt Greenfield hasn't hosted a industry panel since before ADV was split up.

And everyone has their own opinions on what should be dubbed. Tokyo is being released overseas, so they were more likely to make their money back on that one (of even had assistance in the production of the dub.)
Ah. I am also fairly positive that Greenfield hasn't hosted an industry panel in far too long. David & Janice Williams are pretty cool but, to use the old cliche, variety is the spice of life. I'm hoping that this deluge of Maiden Japan releases will get 'em out & touring cons.

I do wish that Sentai & Maiden Japan would let their con plans be known further in advance as I'd totally go to (and have gone to) cons just because they were there. Even though they aren't legally ADV any longer it helps allay my fears about the state of the industry to see David Williams doing his State of the Industry panel. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2