• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Vic Mignogna

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
I sooooooooooo want an interview with the lovely Monica Rail now.
totalgeek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:10 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

I look forward to that one, too! Very Happy
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:

A Monica Rial interview would be super-sweet! Very Happy
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:

Well, if you go back and look at the interview and the questions he was asked, there were two questions that didn't have any implicit religious angle to them and yet his first paragraph for both questions pertained to religion and bore little relation to the answer to the question. He then followed up the religious paragraphs by answering the questions in a somewhat secular fashion. He actually did give some good insights in those follow-up paragraphs, though.

I believe the questions you're referencing are:
Like what? What was your favorite? (as a followup to what he has produced) and...
What would be one thing that you would want to teach your fans through your experience with Ed?

Now the first one, is asking "what is his FAVORITE" which is a very subjective question and he was giving some context for how his faith fits into what he produces. The other, is a bit more "unrelated", but I didn't find it off-putting. I think a valid analogy to how Vic speaks about his faith is like many pro atheletes today. People ask Vic about his work and he considers himself very blessed and gives thanks to God for his good fortune. Everytime I've met Vic in real life he doesn't stride up to you with bible in hand screaming at you to convert or anything of that sort. This whole conversation actually has me interested in talking to him about some of the religious overtones IN Full Metal Alchemist, in things like the names of the homunculi and various other things. There are some very interesting religious philosophical questions in there.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think his religious beliefs are totally overblown. I think it may seem that way, because most of the times he mentions it, it is noted by the reporting person probably because it is relatively unusual. Or maybe I just haven't hung out with him enough to see it as some totally overbearing aspect *shrug*
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I actually think Vic's portrayal is pretty good, it's different from the Japanese, but not SO much as to be REALLY annoying. I think Scott McNeil's Duo was a worse "sounds like he's nowhere near that body frame" voice. And he is much better about hitting the characters emotions than Christopher Nicholas as Arima in the Kare Kano dub (for reference, Veronica Taylor was great, Nicholas was just AWFUL, so this isn't a "dubs suck" comment).

I liked Arima in English... Sad
Though I tend to like any voice in a dub, unless of course it really is AWFUL
lol
I also really like Mignogna (btw, how do you pronounce that?), he's one of my favorite VAs. Especially now that he was cast as Ed. He's done a great job so far. So has Dismuke.
I really wanna see fullmetal fantasy now...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:

I also really like Mignogna (btw, how do you pronounce that?),

Mih(very slight 'g' if at all)-NO-nya

I had this passed along to me by both Vic and .. someone else (was it Stephanie Nadolny? or maybe Monica Rial) when I kinda hit that "how do you pronounce that, ouch I'm butchering this terribly aren't I?" moment. In their words "it's like the Italian, baby"
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Anyway, I think the "Japanese teen boy" is one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) voice to match, as original Tenchi (Tenchi Muyo) and Shinji (Evangelion, altho haven't seen the redub) are both HORRIBLE relative to the character, not commenting on the acting job, just on the casting. I think Vic makes one of the better "teens" that I've heard in a while, and if nothing else, I'll give him some extra credit for his appreciation for and dedication to the specific character. I think fans should appreciate a guy that really LIKES the character he plays.

First of all, there is no redub of Eva. If you mean the Directors' Cut episodes, only some voices were redone, and those were only actors who have left ADV, Spike Spencer (Shinji) SADLY not being one of them. Shinji has the same voice the entire time, even in the movies.

As for Vic, he is one of my most favorite voice actors. I have a friend who gets excited when I let him borrow DVDs and tell him Vic's in it. He loves his characters and he loves what he does, which is why I like him so much. I swear, if I ever met him in person, I'd be so freakin' nervous, I'd barely be able to ask for a picture (kinda like when I met Johnny Young Bosch at Anime Boston back in April). But holy crap, he wants to record at EVERY major studio. Oh my god, I would love to hear him alongside Steve Blum when he goes to LA, or with his buddy Scott McNeil when he goes to Vancouver. Hell, he should even go to Calgary and improve some of their dubs (he and Mark Gatha would be amazing). GOOD LUCK, VIC (he may be reading this)!

One more thing: anybody who hates Vic and/or the FMA dub are stupid. Why? Don't ask me, I'll just reply like Jack Thompson. Twisted Evil

xanbcoo wrote:

I really wanna see fullmetal fantasy now...

As do I. Hey, maybe Vic can pitch it to Adult Swim, or FUNi could put it on DVD.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
xanbcoo wrote:

I also really like Mignogna (btw, how do you pronounce that?),

Mih(very slight 'g' if at all)-NO-nya

I had this passed along to me by both Vic and .. someone else (was it Stephanie Nadolny? or maybe Monica Rial) when I kinda hit that "how do you pronounce that, ouch I'm butchering this terribly aren't I?" moment. In their words "it's like the Italian, baby"

That is so Vic in public for you.
LilyChan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
Yay! Vic-sama! Anime smile

I had met him over at Ushicon and he signed my Edward coat my friend sent me -strokes it- And I took a picture with him. ^^ I'll have to bother my friend for that picture... cause I accidently deleted them. Anime cry;; He's such a sweetie. Anime smile I hugged him three times (with his permission of course).

I know how religious Vic-sama is. ^^; I usually frequent in the AIM FMA chatroom and he comes to talk to the fans sometime and he'd leave early because, of course, church. <3 Gotta respect the guy. He's true to his faith!

Anyway I'll stop blabbering. >>
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Aw, i missed all the penguintruth bad mouting the FMA dub (again)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3