• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2013-03-20

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
You know, it would be pretty funny if they actually found a Chinese knockoff called 'Circleboy Bebop'.

You know, it's not that uncommon for the Japanese to use a circle character to replace part of trademarked name they want to reference. So, "〇ボーイビバップ" is plausable, (although I can actually only find "〇ウボーイビバップ"), which could be read as "Circleboy Bebop".
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
I guess the "suspension of disbelief" here was that you can't do a webcast interview... over the web. No, you have to drive to a studio, like in the old days of... what was that called? Radio, yeah right, radio, that needed a transmitter from a specific location. So if you can suspend your disbelief that the Internet doesn't work any differently than radio, this works. Like an I Love Lucy episode. Oh, wait, that's where I'd seen this before. I guess those who don't remember the past truly are doomed to relive it. "I'll be back!" "Only in reruns, darling."
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

No, not really. IP's are a tricky business. If Nina is ANN's IP and the author is not representing ANN at that convention, selling Nina art would probably be a bad idea. And while I very much doubt ANN would stoop so low, there are certainly companies out there who don't treat authors all that well...

I'm wondering why it makes any sense to even ask that question when I've been posting ads for her appearance at the con in the strip itself for the last month and then posted that ad she made. Clearly there is no issue with it.

Kudos to you for respecting the creators' rights but you are not the rule.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/opinion/sunday/26observer.html?_r=0

Even if this article seems like it's dealing with ancient history, it's naive to think that someone else isn't always ready to bring it back.

I did illustrations for a project on a goodwill basis, later when things started to turn binding, the contract I was presented with stripped any rights to the imagery from me. Another contract I was offered gave the issuer the option to terminate or PERPETUATE my employment at their discretion. It also had an exclusivity clause. Another company wanted me so sign a contract that stated if I left the company that I would not conduct business within a 50 mile radius(Oahu, where I live is 44 miles long). I didn't sign of course.

I heard recently a suggestion that an NDA(Non-disclosure agreements) is a legal signing away of your first amendment right to free speech.

In theory you could set up a scenario where you can legally obligate Robin to corroborate what you said above even if it wasn't true.

Even a contract that cannot be considered legally binding can have the same effect if the person believes it is.

It's fine to speak for yourself as something you wouldn't do provided you don't present it as something that people don't do. I'm not saying that you did but you do sound a little lost on how people could think these things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3