• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax Makes Blue Uru Film with Honneamise's Yamaga, Sadamoto

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that's pretty amazing. I hope this works out for them and they deliver a movie of equal quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Dear God, they're actually making Aoki Uru?

This is the Honneamise sequel project they wanted to make after Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water in 1991.

Problem was they couldn't secure funding, and basically spent the next 3 years in limbo...

...until Hideaki Anno came up with the idea for Evangelion.

Needless to say, the funk the writers were in for three years beforehand (Anno had severe depression) at not being able to get Aoki Uru off the ground really influenced the tone of Evangelion.

Yikes.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited, and amazed that it's actually going to be a real thing after all these years.

It never quite made it to the point where anyone truly expected it to actually be made and was then let down, but the rumblings have been persistent enough to keep interest alive. Particularly when fandom would keep getting teased by things like concept art being included in Sadamoto's Der Mond artbook.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
My actual thought process on seeing this headline: "!!!!!!!!! I thought April Fool's Day wasn't for another week-- No way! NO WAY!!"

I'm UNBELIEVABLY happy about this; just a little while ago "The List" did that "cancelled anime projects" feature and reminded me of how much I've wondered about Blue Uru before and how they planned to expand the Honneamise world... and now we finally get to see it!! This is so amazing! I'm so jazzed I think I'm gunna cry!!! Yes!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Gainax is able to do anything anymore. It's been a long time since they've done anything remotely like Honneamise, in style or tone, so I hope this goes well for them. I feel when people hear Gainax, they immediately think wackycrazylolsorandom, and I'm kind of glad all that's been moved to Trigger.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Plenty remains to be seen, but Yamaga helming the project is definitely a start. For a good sequel to an excellent movie, it helps to have the guy who directed and wrote the original thing.

I admire that they're actually trying it & will hope for the best.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this actually happens; I really like Honneamise, and want to see more of that universe, as the setting was one of the most interesting and fleshed out I've sever seen.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is freaking great!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
So this thing made a big fuss on my twitter feed and I just have this to say.

This should be awesome. Yamaga is returning to what made him famous in the first place, while Sadamoto is getting away from plug suits (at least I hope so).

Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Return both look great so I don't see why a sequel to Honneamise wouldn't also be great.

Until we start seeing character designs of a 14 year old with big titties wearing skintight outfit who goes by the name Tits Mcgee I see no reason to be pessimistic.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited to see how this new project of theirs turns out. Smile
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Oh man it is good to see old Gainax as I loved it back.Hopefully this anime will be a success.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
If this truly marks a return to the Gainax of the late 80s through mid-90s -- even if just for one film -- color me thrilled.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, interesting news. Been a long time since Honneamise's name has been mentioned. I wonder if that will get a re-release sometime in the near future. But looking forward to see what some old school names has got cooking.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
a 14 year old with big titties wearing skintight outfit who goes by the name Tits Mcgee

I thank you for the amusement this concept occasioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited that this is finally happening. Maybe Yamaga took a look at the sorry state Gainax was in and decided to take it upon himself to save the studio, or at least its reputation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2