• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lucas Looking to Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Funny, I thought Lucas was already doing animated movies. Most of Star Wars was cgi. Though I agree with those that say 3D animation is overrated or at least on a diffferent plane and not comparable to cel animation.

-Xenos

Lucas co-directed the original Land Before Time animated movie alongside Speilberg, so he has experience with 2d animation and hopefully he still respects it. Then again, it seems he's lost all self-respect with his latest Star Wars endevours. :lol: Though the movie's ceaseless spinoffs were ridiculous and terrible, the original Land Before Time is a good film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Lucas co-directed the original Land Before Time animated movie alongside Speilberg, so he has experience with 2d animation and hopefully he still respects it.

Co-executive produced is more like it. Don Bluth was the actual director.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dejitaru Otoko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I just had this weird thought of ADV going to Lucas with their stalled live action EVA project. I don't know why, but it just felt like a natural event.

I thought WETA Digital was doing that. Considering that WETA Digital has surpassed ILM in every way, they would be crazy to switch. But with the almost nil-to-nil chance that that movie has of being any good (relative to the anime) maybe its fitting that they get a second-best visual effects studio. I am putting a lot of thought into your premonition. I must be sleepy.

Quote:
...now that Star Trek is currently out of commission.

Crying or Very sad

Quote:
...the original Land Before Time is a good film.

True!

Quote:
I don't think Square is much of a threat to anyone right now, considering their developers are jumping ship.

I liked the Final Fantasy movie. Of course it isn’t anywhere near as good as the games, but its still a decent flick. Damn fickle movie audience!

Just kicking a dead thread. Don’t mind me.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

And what a director! IMHO, no animated film in the world holds a candle to Bluth's best work. That may be fond nostalgia talking, but I guess that's just how my sentimental memory works. (Nevermind the fact that the waterworks still pour whenever I watch the ending of An American Tail...)

As for the 3D vs. 2D thing, I generally agree that 3D animation lacks the warmth of cel animation, but after learning both, I have to say that in principle, the foundation of the two are exactly the same, so regaring one as inherently a "higher" and "incomparable" art form is ultimately false. Not that I didn't think the same thing once, mind you. It's just that, after a certain length of time and a considerable boost in animation knowledge, I learned, once again, how to keep perspective.
Argue 'til you're blue in the face, but it's an undeniable fact that ILM is a leading force in new breakthroughs for 3D animation, pushing it further with each project, as it has been doing in visual effects for the past 20 years. (I remember regarding the character "Buckbeak" in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban with awe and near-incredulity; surely I was looking at a real animal!)

But the fact that several people have stated earlier is indeed correct; although both techniques are animation, they are not interchangable. I seriously doubt that 3D will ever completely overpower 2D. (Word in the industry now is that 2D animation in the states in on a rise and will break through in the near-future. I hope I hope I hope!!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
Hunter Gren wrote:
Having read the full article it looks to me like Lucas is lambasting anime as it currently is.
Quote:
Lucas revealed Monday that he wants to bring the wonders of 3-D animation to Asia, produce television shows much more cheaply than the rest of the industry, and make sure that his Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) effects house doesn't lose its famed camaraderie and creative spunk.

"I put all of my resources into pushing the evolution in an industry that is notoriously backwards and I enjoy pushing that envelope,"

While its not clear what this is a reference too, the full text makes it look like he is talking about traditional style animation as backward.

If you read the original article again, the only field that is referred to as an "industry" is the television industry. He is saying he wants to push the evolution in the television industry, which few would argue is not "notoriously backward."

His speech at SIGGRAPH (a computer graphics conference) was not only about Asian animation. As that beginning paragraph emphasizes, he also discusses the state of the live-action television industry (he specifically mentions live-action cameras later), and ILM in general.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:

Lucas co-directed the original Land Before Time animated movie alongside Speilberg, so he has experience with 2d animation and hopefully he still respects it.

Oppsy, you're right. My apologies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote
Dejitaru Otoko wrote:
Considering that WETA Digital has surpassed ILM in every way

LotR has a lot of really good CGI, but I could still tell a lot of the CGI was CG. RotS was the first movie where many times I couldn't, and considering the amount of CGI used in that film, characters and environments, you have to give ILM credit. They are still leading the way.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
so can we expect Star Wars the anime?
Tivome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah Lucas love the Asian creative talent! Look at all the Asian actors in Star Wars... oh wait, hmmm, let me think. Well nevermind. He just love Asian things and ideas like the Samurai, Chi (Da Force), and the katana fights. Real Asians need not apply.

So I guess a Lucas Anime will happen as long as the story and the characters are not Asians. I bet he digs anime like FMA and Hellsing. But he'll hire Asians to draw them, for sures.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so can we expect Star Wars the anime?

We already have that... kinda. Star Wars animation doesn't need the whole anime "look" to be good. I love this show just as it is.

Tivome wrote:
Yeah Lucas love the Asian creative talent! Look at all the Asian actors in Star Wars... oh wait, hmmm, let me think. Well nevermind. He just love Asian things and ideas like the Samurai, Chi (Da Force), and the katana fights. Real Asians need not apply.

Uh huh. Since when was the definition of "Asian creative talent" limited to actors? 'Cause that's what it sounds like you're asserting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Look at all the Asian actors in Star Wars... oh wait, hmmm, let me think.

Bai Ling to start. But he also originally wanted Toshiro Mifune to play the character of Obi-Wan.

Anyway, I see this as merely Lucas expanding his available resources, and little to do with preferring 3d over 2d or whatever. If he did dislike 2d animation then why would he let them do Clone Wars like that? Although, quite honestly, I would have preferred a more realistic style of artwork, ala Bebop or somesuch.

Also, Vantos gets point because he used the word Luddite in a sentence. Carry on, don't mind me.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Dejitaru Otoko wrote:

Quote:
I don't think Square is much of a threat to anyone right now, considering their developers are jumping ship.

I liked the Final Fantasy movie. Of course it isn’t anywhere near as good as the games, but its still a decent flick. Damn fickle movie audience!

Just kicking a dead thread. Don’t mind me.

He was talking about FFXII, where some of the creative staff pretty much jumped ship due to "creative differences." Some fanboys are complaining that developing FFXII is taking too long (2-3 Years is the norm for such VG's right now).
Tivome

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Uh huh. Since when was the definition of "Asian creative talent" limited to actors? 'Cause that's what it sounds like you're asserting.

Lucas used many Asians as behind the scene production for Star Wars, that is well-known. Several key designers and animators for the prequals were Asians. But it's also well-known in the AA community and Hollywood that he dislike Asians on-screen. Believe what you will, but let's see what he'll produce.

Pop-Art Samurai wrote:

Bai Ling to start. But he also originally wanted Toshiro Mifune to play the character of Obi-Wan.

Did you see Bai Ling in Episode III? Do u know why you can't see her? Cus she was cut. Mifune was considered, but not given the part. (every friggin English bio of Mifune has this blurb, as if Mifune needs Lucas's approval to be considered great). Thus far, no Asian face has ever appeared in a Lucas film, lest you count the two trade federation morons with fake Asian accent. Not that big of deal, of course, but all his talk about reverence to Asian culture etc just sounds a little hollow.

And there never will be a star war anime. I don't think he likes the style; but he just want his own 2D animation studio. I would bet money that whatever he produces won't be in the anime art style. Just another 2D American animation fair.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Tivome wrote:
Thus far, no Asian face has ever appeared in a Lucas film, lest you count the two trade federation morons with fake Asian accent.

Asian faces do pop up in Lucas films--specifically, the Star Wars prequel movies:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/bultarswan/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0156956/
(Taiwanese-American designer Doug Chiang makes a cameo in Episode I as a flag bearer.)

However, these are rather minor uncredited roles with no dialogue.
BeyonderZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
This isn't any thing new is it ? he is just like other directors/producers that have seen diffrent animes and think they would like to "get into it" ^^'' come on.. it's a joke.. and the punch line is all you so called anime fans that like the idea of LuluLukas creating anime ... wtf ...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3