• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Time Ranks Top 5 Anime Movies on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
I remember Wings of Honneaise being really damn good. Or maybe I'm projecting backward from Planetes. Ah the Wings of Mayonnaise. Honneaise. Whatever.
tsubasa-no-kami

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quote
i think i would have included mononoke hime! heck atleast non anime people are getting exposure though top 5 things... x) right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I agree the Barefoot Gen was a daring choice, especially over Grave of the Fireflies (which is available in the U.S., while Barefoot Gen has never been released over here),
yeah it was its just OOP.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
i personally thought Steamboy was awesome, but it sure as hell shouldn't be in the top 5.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
Everyone that says Mononoke Hime should have made the list can go dunk their heads. I mean, if you're gonna be prostrating fanboys at least pick Naussica or something. Spirited Away TOTALLY deserves its spot because I DON'T like Miyazaki movies, and yet Spirited Away won me over with it's visual appeal and great story. It also doesn't have the pacing issues of a Totoro or a Kiki's.

I do need to agree that Millineum Actress is probably the better Kon work, altho (to be fair) Perfect Blue is an intriguing film that leaves you guessing till the end and is a more "adult" animated film. Millineum Actress is more of an interesting film for the more cerebral film watcher, Perfect Blue can catch the more intellectual viewer while not losing the more casual viewer.

Akira deserves it's place if only for it's historical value to the genre. I haven't seen Steamboy or Gen (altho I remember the LD box set by Pioneer, so it was released here). I don't think Robot Carnival or Memories should be on there because both are more "anthology" works rather than a single narrative. I don't know what the criteria used for this were, but considering how "scattershot" I know Robot Carnival was, one could easily love AND hate parts of it at the same time. (I know I did)
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Just to say something other than bashing Steamboy (which did suck) and complaining about why Princess Mononoke didn't make the list (which is should have), I'm glad to see Perfect Blue on there. I was beginning to think people forgot about that movie. Its one of my favorite movies in general, let alone anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SJWyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
well, it's not what I would pick for a TOP 5 must see list. However, just the fact alone that the TIMES printed a Must see anime list deserves some golf clapping.

That said, "STEAMBOY SUCKZ!!!!1!!!!one!onehundredeleven!!!1111!"
Well then, that sounded mature. Rolling Eyes
vherub

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Reading the article, it is not a Top 5 of all time list, but a recommendation list. That a movie was left out does not mean it is worse, nor that what is on the list is as good as anime gets. This is a primer for the new and a talking point for the well initiated. I like Porco Rosso more than Spirited Away, which I felt was too similar to the earlier Kiki. And I have an extreme dislike for Perfect Blue as I could not connect with the characters, nor the conflict and was not sold on the believability of the events.
The inclusion of Steamboy, which, like the recent Appleseed, is about movies being just plain fun to watch, not some claim that it is the better work than GitS for example.
To each his own.
Lix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I went into that list expecting to see <insert Miyazaki film x5), with only your obligatory Akira or Ghost in the Shell thrown in for good measure. Thus, I was pleastantly surprised.

vherub wrote:

That a movie was left out does not mean it is worse, nor that what is on the list is as good as anime gets. This is a primer for the new and a talking point for the well initiated.

Spot on. Although I don't profess to be a critic, I'm sure those who do will be comforted by the thought. =)

I'll have to get this issue, and perhaps support its inclusion with a letter to the magazine.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
SJWyman wrote:
However, just the fact alone that the TIMES printed a Must see anime list deserves some golf clapping.

Bingo, and it's funny. Corliss is bringing positive, and extremely mainstream, attention to anime, and all we've got to show is two pages of people decrying his choices.
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Bakafool wrote:
What!? No Fist of the North Star and Ninja Ressurection!? Are they on crack!?

I think you're forgetting MD Geist and BioHunter Laughing

Bakafool wrote:
...with the following honorable mention that could as easily be in the top 5:

My Neighbor Totoro
Wings of Honneamise
Macross Plus the Movie
Perfect Blue

I'd like to add Tokyo Godfathers, a great film about a drunk, a transvestite and a runaway all trying to survive on the streets and reunite an abandoned baby with its mother. Not only is it a nice heartwarming story, but it has wonderfull characters with good voice acting and animation.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Key wrote:
As for Princess Mononoke not being present, my guess is that the writer decided to use only one Miyazaki film, so he had to make a difficult choice between it and Spirited Away. If that's the case, I can't begrudge him that omission, since I think it's a toss-up as to which is better. The same could also explain why Ghost in the Shell didn't make the cut.

They picked up both Akira and Steamboy -- both by Katsuhiro Otomo. Rolling Eyes If they wanted to keep the list diversified, then IMHO four out of five slots were already occupied: Miyazaki, Kon (I'd say Millennium Actress is better), Oshii (GitS or Jin-Roh; the latter was not directed but created by him), and Otomo (definately not Steamboy). There would be only one slot remaining. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I agree with you on Millennium Actress. It's one of my favorite anime movies of all time and I feel it's very underrated. Perfect Blue is very good too but Millennium Actress is better. Good call on Jin-Roh also (another very underrated movie).
I feel like I'm minority here but I also really liked older anime movie like "A Wind Named Amnesia", "They Were Eleven" and "Memories".

oe wrote:
I think that list needs a little Lupin III. Castle of Cagliostro is one of my favorites and it has the favorable name association with Miyazaki. Not that I really think it's better than some of his other ones. Still... you've got to give the Lupin franchise some credit for enduring and being extra cool.

Ditto. I agree with you 100%. Castle of Cagliostro is a fantastic movie and I love it very much. The fact is, this list could easily be dominated by Miyazaki/Ghibli movies. However, I'm glad that the readers who read this article and know little about anime will be encouraged to check out other director's work as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2