• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reports 200,000+ Paid Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
what about funimation/viz who post simulcast for free and sometimes sentai/anime network does as well.

I prefer Funimation/Neon Alley over Crunchyroll as well.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
If they hired fansubbers to do proper timing and typesetting i might find it worth my money, as it stands now they are about as good as dvd subtitles
Hybridbloodszak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
If they hired fansubbers to do proper timing and typesetting i might find it worth my money, as it stands now they are about as good as dvd subtitles

Don't kid yourself you're not gonna be swayed by such a crappy reason. You like things for free simple as that. You either want to support the creators or you DGAF

I only use fansubs if show's unlicensed in my country
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Crunch¥roll is banking.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

what about funimation/viz who post simulcast for free and sometimes sentai/anime network does as well.

I pay for Funimation's streaming service and it's god-awful.

I regret every month that I've been on.

I don't know why I haven't cancelled yet since it's very apparent that it's likely not gonna get better.

Don't know what Anime Network is like nowadays, but the ineptness of how they had the credit card system set up from when I was on was really up there.

Crunchyroll, I love.

Will keep feeding them my monies.

Just torrent Funi's releases when they're ripped, it's what I do for CR (I have a subscription), having it on your computer it so much easier.
xFiveBoltMainx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
The anime that CR streams, does it have subtitles or is it dubbed? How does it work because I've never used CR. Is there a limit on how much anime you can watch, or is it like Netflix where you can watch whatever you want?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
xFiveBoltMainx wrote:
The anime that CR streams, does it have subtitles or is it dubbed? How does it work because I've never used CR. Is there a limit on how much anime you can watch, or is it like Netflix where you can watch whatever you want?

They have a few dubbed titles, mostly older releases from ADV and Media Blasters, but the majority of the shows use subtitles.

There is no limit on how much you can watch. Keep in mind, that they majority of their simulcasts become free to everyone after a week, and most of their shows don't require a subscription to watch. The main advantage to the subscription is that you get to skip commercials and you have access to HD, however, they HD is fairly low quality (both Funi and Anime Network's player's have better HD quality).
xFiveBoltMainx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
xFiveBoltMainx wrote:

They have a few dubbed titles, mostly older releases from ADV and Media Blasters, but the majority of the shows use subtitles.

There is no limit on how much you can watch. Keep in mind, that they majority of their simulcasts become free to everyone after a week, and most of their shows don't require a subscription to watch. The main advantage to the subscription is that you get to skip commercials and you have access to HD, however, they HD is fairly low quality (both Funi and Anime Network's player's have better HD quality).

Sweet, I'll have to give it a try.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Hybridbloodszak wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

Don't kid yourself you're not gonna be swayed by such a crappy reason. You like things for free simple as that. You either want to support the creators or you DGAF

I only use fansubs if show's unlicensed in my country

I have a lot of fan subbing friends, alot of them work on stuff for crunchyroll now, and guess what crunchyroll generally has the best typesetting since they actually try and match fonts to the original japanese, and it generally has better translations .
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
So glad to hear Crunchyroll is doing well! When FuNico first launched quite awhile ago I was nervous for Crunchyroll. It's always good to hear that a great service is successful.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Great to hear they're doing well^^ I've been subscribed for a while and IMO it's well worth the price of admission. CR has a fantastic service.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
and it generally has better translations .

lol, no.
I guess if you were a 16 year old girl and like to say m'kay, or get with the 411 girlfriend, then maybe. Their fansubs are much more liberal, some people like that and some do not.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
and it generally has better translations .

lol, no.
I guess if you were a 16 year old girl and like to say m'kay, or get with the 411 girlfriend, then maybe. Their fansubs are much more liberal, some people like that and some do not.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, but I think you're saying that fansubs have better translations than crunchyroll. If so, well, not really.

Fansub translations are good at their best, but they are almost never at their best; there are typos all over the place, bad grammar, random japanese left in, blatant translation errors, etc.

It's only in the better fansubs that you can look past these glaring problems to get to the fact that the writing quality, flow, style, naturalness, etc. aren't very good.

It's not to say that crunchyroll is perfect, but I find their quality to be consistently at that of the highest quality fansubs.

Oh, and to talk about what was being discussed before with typsetting, I find trying to 'naturally' typset stuff is the most awkward and stupid looking thing ever. For example, why do people think it looks good for there to be a street sign with japanese, and then the fansubbers' badly photoshopped in english below it? For one, it never looks like it belongs there, no matter how hard they try to make it look so, and even if it did, it's weird. Why would there be english there? There wouldn't be because there actually wasn't in the show, so translate the signs and stuff as a subtitle. White text at the top of the screen is the best, because the translation should be as removed from the work as possible, rather than being inside it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
I can't buy your argument for removing the subtitle from the text it translates - in fact, I'd say that, unless it's technically infeasible, the translation should be where the text is; there's no possible benefit to having to look at two spots for meaning and what it's attached to. Now, you can make an argument against using ASS's capabilities to replace the original text completely when the subs are on, but that's a completely different matter.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Just torrent Funi's releases when they're ripped, it's what I do for CR (I have a subscription), having it on your computer it so much easier.

I found the opposite ~ one of the appeals of streaming is avoiding the various annoyances of downloading to a computer, including the annoyance of watching the video on the computer. I certainly find it easier to watch a stream on Roku straight from Crunchyroll rather than having to (1) torrent the file and then (2) leave the computer on to stream it from there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4