• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix President Youichi Wada to Step Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
Donpablo Sleeping Sogs didn't sel a million copies it sold a few hundred thousand copies and at this point in time a break even for a console game is about 2 million copies for a Triple A Title.

The problem is that the video game industry is broken in general, with shooters selling millions of copies leading to massive stagnation as that is the main genre being made while publishers now put an emphasis about making a trilogy in one console cycle so they can use the assets across three games instead of making one game then having to make up most of the characters again.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
I just read this. It seems S-E wants to pin the blame of its losses on its "underperforming" US-developed Eidos games and not say, the ridiculous development costs pumped into DQX, FFXIV, their next-gen engine, and likely other games S-E developed themselves.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
Console sale attributed to loss? That's HILARIOUS. Squeenix lost money 'cause they're not releasing any new epic games like people want.

If you're 2 companies that merged together that once had competing flagship games and, within the past years, you haven't released any new and original games in those series that follow the same lines of what made the series popular to begin with... of COURSE you're losing money. Star Ocean, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy. Return to the basis of what made those popular, money will return.

I, personally, boycotted FF13-2; and am doing the same with 13-3 because 13, as a WHOLE was crap. I loved elements of it and it was a beautiful game, but I'd rather suffer my way through FF8 (which I don't like) than attempt to play 13 again.

And here is one gripe I have with Squeenix... Quit numbering MMORPG games!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
I just read this. It seems S-E wants to pin the blame of its losses on its "underperforming" US-developed Eidos games and not say, the ridiculous development costs pumped into DQX, FFXIV, their next-gen engine, and likely other games S-E developed themselves.

Let's also not forget how badly they've screwed over Nomura and vs XIII by pulling away development staff from that project time and time again just so they could continue to feed Toriyama's really annoying pet projects like XIII-3 (seriously, WHY?????). I really wonder how much money they've had to waste on vs XIII because they just won't let Nomura get the damn thing DONE.

Anyway, we'll see if this actually does change things for the better in the next few years. The last decade for Square has been disappointing to say the least with practically EVERY key director and developer having left due to being screwed over by executives in one way or another with examples such as the Front Mission team, the Mana team, and Yasumi Matsuno among the most dramatic. Square really needs to turn themselves around and start getting GOOD talent back on projects.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
This has nothing to do with MMOs which as a whole are not considered to be AAA titles in the US.
The single largest lose was 10 billion yen which was the result of a restructuring write down, most likely a tax movement.

Under Yoichi Wada tenure they haven't had a single AAA title come out as very successful, Tomb Raider will end up making a profit at the end of the day but at a unimpressive pace. Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution had awful sales made worse by Square Enix agreeing to cover the cost to retailers of lowering sticker prices.

SE's sales projections were off by 14.6% with the domestic numbers being about accurate, sales in N/A market have been bad across the board largely do to a saturation of AAA tier games. Ubisoft's Jade Raymond has predicted that per year only 10 AAA games at current sales and pricing levels will be highly profitable. When you consider that EA Sports will eat up 2 to 3 of those slots per year it is not a great market for very high end games. EA just canned its CEO for stumbling upon the same issue, plus a couple awful PR issues with new release games SimCity 5 being the most recent one.

The company is in no immediate danger of folding with a cash reserve of 93.15 billion yen, but to continue at the current size Matsuda will have to squeeze more money from its stable Asian market (mobile gaming mostly) and find a way to compete in the N/A market. Phil Rogers will most likely be heading up the effort in the Western market after doing well in Europe.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
In other related news, the 360 put Hitman Absolution in their Spring Sale. If you're in the US, that's $19.99.

Heh. Timing is flawless.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Square Enix, the victims of their own demise. I can't feel sorry for a company that spits out trash like FFXIII.

Actually let me just be more blunt.

Nothing of value of was lost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:

That chart is rather meaningless for saying anything about how profitable those games were. It's entirely possible for games to sell millions of units and still lose money. It would hardly be the first time that happened.

But clearly you're familiar with SE's spreadsheets. How much are the spending on DQX and FFXIV? Or those other games mentioned there? You clearly know, so please share, I'm curious and I'm sure others would also like to know so they could make judgements as valid as yours. Unless you were just talking out of your ass, of course, but that just couldn't be.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
jsieczkar got it right

Lets look at this year one of those ten will be the Call of Duty game, the second will be the new Battlefield game, that leave about 8 spots for everyone else.

The thing is that the current path games have taken are these mind numingly beautiful games that take 100 million to create, and and 300 people to create leaving almost no one else to create something else so while Square could create 3-4 games at once, even with new hires their entire japanese teams are now being spent on just two new games.
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
FFXIII wasn't a bad game but sequel had good game play but at the same time the story was confusion what piss me off is that square enix focus all their work on Final Fantasy XIV it sucks that was main problem
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Square Enix, the victims of their own demise. I can't feel sorry for a company that spits out trash like FFXIII.

Actually let me just be more blunt.

Nothing of value of was lost.
Speak for yourself. FF is the only consistently good Jrpg series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Altacia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I liked 13 for what it was.

It didn't feel very Final Fantasy-ish until half way through the game though. ^^; It certainly wasn't the worse FF to date...
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Is? You meant "was", because there's no way FFXIII gets classified as "good". Not just my opinion, but many who expected better.

They should have just taken out the user completely and forced us to watch a movie.

Wait. They did just that.
VPedge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I love how this turned into a FF13 bitch thread and are acting like 13 is the reasons for this when its clearly not but hey keep ignoring the real factors and keep up the blind rage.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Is? You meant "was", because there's no way FFXIII gets classified as "good". Not just my opinion, but many who expected better.

They should have just taken out the user completely and forced us to watch a movie.

Wait. They did just that.
I don't give a crap about other peoples opinions. I liked XIII well enough. Fun battle system with an interesting premise. So no, as far as I care FF is the only consistent jrpg series. There may be other good jrpgs like Xenoblade and TLS, but no FFXIII was a fine game and FF is the only series that still delivers fantastic and cool looking Fantasy worlds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5