• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix President Youichi Wada to Step Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
All they have to do is release Kingdom Heart 3. Not any more Kingdom Hearts offshoots but THE ACTUAL GAME. Then their problems would decrease. I haven't found a game by SE that i've enjoyed in years enough to purchase. Just rentals and returns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
We spend much of our time replaying PS2 games because the releases for the PS3 have been so mediocre overall. The best RPGs for that platform seem to be coming from Bioware these days. Maybe SE should think about why that is.

You realize despite whatever bile people spew about them, FFXIII still sold more than any Bioware game ever, right? I don't think that's their problem or should they choose to emulate a company. It's probably just your interests that differ, especially if you can't get into Dragon Quest VIII which most JRPG fans love.

Though it's a bit ironic you use Bioware because the founders of Bioware also stepped down not too long ago after The One Republic was a colossal failure. I don't think anyone from the original KOTOR/Baldurs Gate days still works there, it's all current EA's hand-chosen crew. Hell, even EA isn't doing all that well, as the head CEO of EA also stepped down. And EA's one of the most inflated and money grubbing companies out there and if they're looking around all nervous-like then that's a telling sign. In short, a lot of the video game industry is in a huge sinkhole at the moment.

Personally I think the best PS3 RPGs this generation belongs to Bamco (Tales of Vesperia, Graces, and Xillia 1 and 2) I've had more fun playing them than any other RPG on the system.

Vpedge wrote:
I love how this turned into a FF13 bitch thread and are acting like 13 is the reasons for this when its clearly not but hey keep ignoring the real factors and keep up the blind rage.

Welcome to video game forums in general. Unfortunately, these people find a way to bring all that hate and fanboyism of those forums to here every-time a video game thread pops up here and we can throw rationality out the window.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Welcome to video game forums in general. Unfortunately, these people find a way to bring all that hate and fanboyism of those forums to here every-time a video game thread pops up here and we can throw rationality out the window.

Wow, ironic coming from you since this is basically what you're known for on these forums and your ability to be objective and rational has been repeatedly proven to be completely nil. People in glass houses...

Also, your usual trollish attempt to turn this in to one of your "my favorite Japanese thing is better than all things non-Japanese, lulz, TitanXL 4teh trollololol" has not gone unnoticed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Hell, even EA isn't doing all that well, as the head CEO of EA also stepped down. And EA's one of the most inflated and money grubbing companies out there and if they're looking around all nervous-like then that's a telling sign. In short, a lot of the video game industry is in a huge sinkhole at the moment.

Yep, EA's not looking that hot. Laughing

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/03/18/electronic-arts-ceo-john-riccitiello-to-step-down/

jsieczkar wrote:
Under Yoichi Wada tenure they haven't had a single AAA title come out as very successful, Tomb Raider will end up making a profit at the end of the day but at a unimpressive pace. Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution had awful sales made worse by Square Enix agreeing to cover the cost to retailers of lowering sticker prices.

Yep, they cited all three games as very disappointing and underperforming. Maybe Square-Enix should get out of the western market while they can and stick to their domination of Japan Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone want them to leave the western market? That's stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
It's probably just your interests that differ, especially if you can't get into Dragon Quest VIII which most JRPG fans love.

Japanese JRPG fans may love DQ8, but Wiki reports the North American release sold just 430,000 units through 2008 compared to a world wide total of 4.9 million. SE says its problems largely come from the North American market.

Bioware's Dragon Age: Origins has sold a bit over 400,000 copies, and the sequel has sold about the same. When compared with DQ 8 that might seem unspectacular, but all games in this category for the PS3 have lower sales figures than PS2 games did. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion sold just 150,000 units, while Mass Effect 3 reached a bit over 700,000.

In contrast Final Fantasy X sold nearly three million copies in North America, slightly more than were sold in Japan.

These differences are hardly surprising considering that PS2 console sales in North America (~54 million) are about twice the figure for the more expensive PS3 (26 million). A new PS2 costs $133 on Amazon today, or about half what a PS3 costs ($250).

As I said earlier, the market has reached equilibrium, and studios cannot expect console sales to drive software purchases. Evergreen titles like Madden (1.8 million PS3 sales in 2011 and 2012) and the NBA games (1.3-1.5 million) will always pull their weight, though shooters dominate the market by far. The kinds of games SE is best known for do not have the clout in the North American PS3 market the way PS2 RPGs did.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Do not use VGchartz. Those numbers are wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ShindoW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Just release KH3, the REAL PE3, and some new IPs. Then I'll be happy.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Are they off by a few percent? An order of magnitude? Are the relative comparisons valid even if the specific numbers are wrong? Just saying they are "wrong" is not very informative.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Are they off by a few percent? An order of magnitude? Are the relative comparisons valid even if the specific numbers are wrong? Just saying they are "wrong" is not very informative.
They are made up. The owner is/was an old Gaffer(neogaf) who got fed up with Gaf's NPD threads and went off to create his own website. His numbers basically are assumptions based on some data. Like they called a few Walmart and worked it from there. It has never been close to accurate. People use it because NPD's data is obviously hard to come by.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't wanna sound like an asshole, but I am glad he's leaving. Maybe the company can start climbing back out of the hole they dug out themselves
jagerhohenheim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Some facts to help with the discussion,
Hitman and Tomb Raider have both roughly sold 3.5 million units overall, sleeping dogs doing worse with an estimated 1.75 million units.

Honestly, I think if people want to pin one single game for the financial hardships of the company it should be FFXIV. The initial release of that game was so poor that the game was free to play for what, close to a year after release? If you take that into account, and the monthly fees of $15 from subscribers, say they had 3-4 million players for that year that's a loss of $45-60 million dollars for a game simply existing. It doesn't help that they keep pulling staff off projects like Vs. XIII which in turn delays the START of KH3's production and is a growing form of animosity from the fans to SE.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay i just have to put in my two cents. FF 13 did not lose them money but it was not a good game and the sales are not particularly impressive either. FF 7 sold over 10 million copies on a single console well over a decade a go. FF 13 was cross platform so it had the console based of two of the major companies and its total is still barely on par with a game well over ten years old.

Edit: Oh wait it seems some people on this thread are fudging the numbers. I just checked combined FF 13 and 13 -2 sold around 9.6 million. So basically that's two games, both on multiple consoles and together they sold poorly then ff 7. 13 by itself sold around 6.7 million copies a number comparable to ps2 exclusive ff 12 which sold 5.2, oh and this game was on the end of ps2s life span as well.
FF 13 -2 sold 3.2 million, and I can only imagine hw little 13-3 will sell.

So basically relatively FF 13 is poor selling tile, and content wise its definitely the worse FF with maybe the exception of Crystal Chronicles for the game cube.

And for the record they just released an article on gamespot stating that all the titles including tomb raider have sold very poorly, so not only did SE buy a company they had no business buying, one that was completely the opposite of the games they put out, they spent all their effort on those games instead of their own home titles, as a result the eidos games have good reviews but poor sales, while their own games have decent sales but poor reviews which will further hurt their reputation. They had the disaster that is ff 14. Then somebody had the poor idea to make dragon quest a mmo, online only. They keep on releasing games that nobody ones, while the game people want they tell them to shove off.

Why is ff 13 the most poorly reviewed game in the numbered series getting a third game? Not even Ff 7 the most popular one has 3 games.

Where are ff7 remake that people want, where is versus?

Why has kingdom hearts had more spinoffs in the last two years than there are numbered games? Take your DD and shove it, people want Kh 3.

Where are the new console JRPG IPs that are of any quality? Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery were both mediocre at best.

Where are the sequel of spinoffs of old faithful titles that people clamor for?

There are hundreds of questions that Se could ask and answer and gain back some following. But its like they started panicking with a little bad news, and then just snow balled everything instead of righting the ship. Do you actually think ff 14 on the ps3 will sell anything no matter what fixes they made? Why did you not listen to the people when they said they did not like 13, do you have to prove you are right at the cost of millions to the company?

I doubt the company will fold, its too big and even with poor games the FF name will at least hang around for another decade, but there time is gone. NISA, Atlus, Gust, etc. its their time now, jrpgs are a young man's game that has just passed the SE, Segas, Konamis, and Capcoms of the world.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Stuff

It's not really fair to compare Final Fantasy sales to other JRPG sales. Final Fantasy has always been the outlier. 600,000 is actually very good for a non-FF JRPG in America. Other JRPGs tend to only do a few hundred thousand sales here. Like I said, Dragon Quest has nowhere near the selling power as it does in Japan, where they can sell in the millions in Japan alone. It's actually more popular than Final Fantasy in Japan.

CrownKlown wrote:
Okay i just have to put in my two cents. FF 13 did not lose them money but it was not a good game and the sales are not particularly impressive either. FF 7 sold over 10 million copies on a single console well over a decade a go. FF 13 was cross platform so it had the console based of two of the major companies and its total is still barely on par with a game well over ten years old.

Not a very good comparison. 7 is the best selling game, and it was a lot of westerners first foray in JRPGs which is why it was so high. By your logic every Final Fantasy game since then has been a disappointment because they failed to live up to those numbers.

And your claim of "two consoles means more sales than one",aside from being bad grade-school logic, doesn't take into account that despite the PS3 and 360 are "two consoles", the PS2 has sold more than both of them combined. The PS2 had a much large installation base, so by your own logic, the fact 12 sold as poorly as it did makes it even worse because it had more of an audience. And you forget the worst selling Final Fantasy game, 9, was on the same console as 7, the best selling one.

You can try to dismiss or twist whatever way you want to say Final Fantasy 13 was a dud, but it's not really going to work.

Last edited by TitanXL on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
The reason FF XIII got three games is because its too expensive to make 2 separate original RPGs. Thats it, no other reason exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5