• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Escaflowne the Movie on Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takuhii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
There's so many holes in that movie, it's rediculous.

That film was a steaming pile, compared to the series. Even if you don't (which I know you're not supposed to), it's still stupid film in which nothing happens.

Isn't the movie just a cut up of the TV series?? I've avoid buying the movie becuase that's what everyone has been saying. Same as Rahxephon, the Movie, that is just a cut up of the TV series too. I may be wrong however...

BTW: WHY 12 MIDNIGHT!!! It's not an offensive film, there's no tentacle sex!!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote
takuhii wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
There's so many holes in that movie, it's rediculous.

That film was a steaming pile, compared to the series. Even if you don't (which I know you're not supposed to), it's still stupid film in which nothing happens.

Isn't the movie just a cut up of the TV series?? I've avoid buying the movie becuase that's what everyone has been saying. Same as Rahxephon, the Movie, that is just a cut up of the TV series too. I may be wrong however...

The film, from a production (animation, art direction, design and audio) standpoint is totally and completely wonderful. It's story uses some of the same components as the TV series, but in general it is a totally different beast, with mostly different music, new animation, altered characters and plot points. It's unlike the cut-up TV series footage "movie" that Rahxephon got. It's not perfect, but it's atleast something pretty to look at.

It's going on at that time because, well, it's probably the best time for it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
I, too, saw the movie before I saw the series. I thought the movie was a wonderful stand-alone fantasy piece - high production values and a respectable story no more full of holes than any other fantasy story. The characters do look a couple of years older in the movie than in the series and have some different motivations, however, and as others have pointed out, the story is quite different. The mecha element is also much heavier in the series.

The series was unusual in that it was not only a fantasy mecha series (which had been done before), but it was a mecha series designed specifically to appeal to both genders (which I think was new for the time). I liked it, and thought it had some inventive plot twists, though I would rate it as a second-tier title. . .except for its awesome soundtrack, which is one of the best series OSTs out there if you can track it down. (It was never released in the U.S., for inexplicable reasons.)

RyoShin wrote:
Unfortunately, the VA on the series isn't that great in the beginning, but gets better as the series goes on. The VA on the movie was fairly good. Not Cowboy Bebop quality, but good none-the-less.

You do realize it was the same English cast in both? Much the same people who work on Inuyasha, too. (Kelly Sheridan, who voices Hitomi in both versions of Escaflowne, is also Sango in Inuyasha, while Kirby Morrow is both Van and Miroku, just to name the most prominent cross-overs.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
takuhii wrote:

Because Adult Swim doesn't air in the afternoons?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
When was the last time Adult Swim didn't show a movie that started at midnight?
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Wow... Been a long time since I posted but wanted to see if my N/P still worked. But yeah isn't it going to be on Adult Swim, not CN?

Adult Swim is on Cartoon Network. It's treated as a seperate network, but it's not.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
I had seen the series (as much of it as was aired) when it aired on Fox Kids (ok, I'll admit it, I was 16, in 11th grade, and it was on before digimon, which I was and still am a fan of....) and thought it amazing. It then dropped and I was greatly disappointed. However, over a year later, I was given the movie dvd as a gift for Christmas from my best friend (how he knew that I would want it is beyond me, since Escaflowne was one anime title that I really didn't mention since I didn't know much about it other than what I'd seen of it I was impressed with).

The movie, on it's own, quite simply ROCKED. It's an alternate retelling of the series, and thus exists seperately in story and continuity universe from the series, therefore making it totally independant from the series as far as how the story will progress (though they kept some similar points in both). Music was top notch, the fantasy feel was there and it was strong. Technology was prominent but not something which had to take center stage (like it does in some mecha anime....like bad Gundam series), and the characters were still believable in their own way. That, and the version of Sora's Song that is sung in that inn was simply ENCHANTING.... absolutely GORGEOUS.

When I finally got the series on DVD, I was very much itching to see it (I got the boxed set, after I'd lost the dvd a few years back, so it was perfect since it was series + movie all in one box/book), and I was not disappointed. Very different from the movie, but that was to be expected. They're two different stories that share some similar critical plot and character points, and that's it. The sound track was excellent (LOVED the opening song. That, along with the OP to Fushigii Yuugi have to be my top two non-j-rock OPs (since Gundam SEED and SEED-Destiny ops that I like are more rock than pop) of all time...well, Little Wing and Cloud Age Symphony do compete closely for "favorite"), as were the characters, plot, story, settings, and technology.

As for techology, it was refreshing. I like mecha anime, as long as it's good. HOwever, I've always wondered how the pilots control their mecha like they do in Gundam with the controls they do. IN escaflowne, I see exactly how it is in that the guymelefs are in actuality more like massive suits of power armor. The movement of the pilot in the cockpit is mimicked in the exact same spot on the melef. Same way Arm Slaves work in FMP! It simply made sense. That, and the shoot back to swords and sorcery instead of shooting ahead to sci-fi was refreshing to see as well.

All-in-all, Escaflowne occupies a very safe top pick in my collection for all the reasons I stated, and for more reasons which I did not state so that I wouldn't go off on too many tangents Cool.
takuhii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
RezSav wrote:
Wow... Been a long time since I posted but wanted to see if my N/P still worked. But yeah isn't it going to be on Adult Swim, not CN?

Adult Swim is on Cartoon Network. It's treated as a seperate network, but it's not.

We don't have Adult Swim in the UK, we have a Toonami CHANNEL that sometimes shows Anime, and Fox Kids in the UK was a seperate channel (but they are now called Jetix and just show kiddy anime like Sonic X and Megaman X). Anime on the TV over here is very sparse and we only seem to get the mainstream stuff like Dragonball Z. The Sci-Fi Channel show the odd anime feature like Spriggan and Bubblegum Crisis 2040...
bebop26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

The last time Adult Swim showed showed a movie at 11pm was The Animatrix, and that was when adult swim got Saturdays back. Though I guess this means no Scryed or InuYasha on September 10.

The Escaflowne Movie I'm looking forward to. Who knows. If alot of people watch it, maybe they will consider the anime series. I never watched Escaflowne when it aired on Fox back then, nor have I ever watched the movie, but even if it has a different story I'm still gonna watch it.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
bebop26 wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

The last time Adult Swim showed showed a movie at 11pm was The Animatrix, and that was when adult swim got Saturdays back. Though I guess this means no Scryed or InuYasha on September 10.

Of course, by the time September 10th rolls around, the schedule will probably be different, so that won't be an issue.

I think I remember when this aired (ROD was on the week before or something) How long was the Animatrix again?
Ilze88

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
September 10th, eh? I sure hope the cable company will finally take the time out of their 'busy' schedules to install it in my house after two months of waiting.

I'm guessing that this movie wont be too edited, will it? AS seems to do a pretty job of leaving things as they were and there isnt that much of a reason for them to cut it up, is there?

How long ago was it that AS started showing movies? I think the only time I've really watched a movie on it was when they played Metropolis about a month or two ago.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:20 am Reply with quote
Ilze88 wrote:
How long ago was it that AS started showing movies? I think the only time I've really watched a movie on it was when they played Metropolis about a month or two ago.

They've been sporadically showing movies practically since the very beginning. I seem to remember Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack being aired as far back as 2002, when Adult Swim was just barely a year old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Ilze88 wrote:

They've been sporadically showing movies practically since the very beginning. I seem to remember Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack being aired as far back as 2002, when Adult Swim was just barely a year old.

I forgot all about that. My god, was it that long ago?

I remember when AS showed the butchered version of Gundam 0083. I have the DVDs, but I recently borrowed some tapes my friend made of the TV version so I could make fun of it. Cool
bebop26

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Of course, by the time September 10th rolls around, the schedule will probably be different, so that won't be an issue.

I think I remember when this aired (ROD was on the week before or something) How long was the Animatrix again?

Two hours from 11pm-1am (Pacific) And the shcedule could change for better or worse since there aren't any new Samurai Champloo episodes right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2