• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In North America, the Sailor Moon anime was syndicated on American and Canadian TV in 1995.

Are you sure about this? I remember watching dubbed Sailormoon episodes on station KTBH(San Francisco) in June 1993. That was the first run of Sailormoon in the US.

Sailormoon is what really started it for me. I had seen anime before in the US - Voltron, Robotech & Superbook (which, I think is still being shown on PAX) - but none of them ever sparked me as much as Sailormoon did. I was hooked on Sailormoon immediately and bought (almost) everything I could - Sailormoon dolls, shirts, bootleg prismatic sticker cards.

Sailormoon's story always has stuck with me, and even today, I can't find a shoujo anime that can compare. Yes, there have been numerous shoujo titles since Sailormoon (Cardcaptor Sakura, the PreCure franchise, etc.) but none of them have the plot and character development that Sailormoon did.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
@Jason Thompson

Since even this article acknowledges that Sailor Moon is more famous as an anime than as a manga, I think that this article could have been even better if there had been more discussion about how the anime differed from the manga, especially given that Takeuchi was upset at a lot of the changes.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
While I didn't start out with Sailor Moon, back in '95 I would always wake up super early before school and watch the pretty pastel colors and just smile. Now that I'm a bit older, I would gladly plunk the money down for a good R1 release, and the manga as well. Unlike most of the anime that came out back then, Sailor Moon STILL draws a lot of interest today.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was the anime that got me into anime. To this day, I proudly considered the show (albeit the DiC hackdub) to be the quintessential piece of my anime fandom. When Sailor Moon first aired in Canada on YTV back in '95 during the network's lunch hour and primetime Zone slot, it was phenomenal for us viewers. I can still remember rushing home every day after school just to see the latest episode. Very Happy

There are plenty of people who can argue that this was the show that awoke the anime fandom in Canada and you can still interview anyone here and they'll tell you that Sailor Moon was what got them into anime in the first place.

Unfortunately, I've never read the manga. But, I'm hoping that if the license ever gets rescued, that it'll be available in affordable omnibuses.
Cutiebunny wrote:
Are you sure about this? I remember watching dubbed Sailormoon episodes on station KTBH(San Francisco) in June 1993. That was the first run of Sailormoon in the US.

O_O
You're 100% sure of that? Because the DiC dub didn't officially air until mid-late '95.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Sailor Moon was my first manga and anime. Ah, memories. Smile

I would LOVE for the manga to be re-licensed.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Anybody for the awesome live action series? Eh? Eh? Laughing

In all seriousness, though, I went into the live action series expecting to laugh at the terrible special effects and silly outfits, which I did, but then I really started to get into the story and the characters. I actually like the live action version of the characters better than the anime version of the characters. Yes, there are some really unpleasantly goofy moments, but on the whole it's a lot of fun to watch. Plus, Dark Ami? Awesome. Very Happy
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I went into the live action series expecting to laugh at the terrible special effects and silly outfits, which I did, but then I really started to get into the story and the characters.

Same here, I started watching purely for the camp factor, and then found myself crying at more than one part (both happy and sad tears). C'est la Vie gets stuck in my head at random times.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon got me into anime, but when I initially flipped through the manga at my local library, I was put off by the glittery art style. So I decided to just randomly pick a different "Japanese comic" with tamer artwork...as it turned out, I'd checked out a volume of Ranma 1/2 and my life was forever changed. Very Happy

Even though I started watching other anime and reading other manga, my entire extended family cannot forget how much of a Sailor Moon fangirl I was and to this day they still refer to all of my manga series collectively as "Sailor Moon."
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Saphiro01 wrote:

On a hilarious side note, I think Sailor Moon fans may have caused the first huge internet fan communities for young people. I could list over 100 Sailor Moon websites that I used to frequent for news and stories back in the mid to late 90's. Save our Sailors (SOS),

Hahahahaha......... I may have.......... something to do with that........ Laughing

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Cutiebunny wrote:

O_O
You're 100% sure of that? Because the DiC dub didn't officially air until mid-late '95.

Let's hope that wasn't the Saban Moon potential version. Laughing

Incidentally, here's the B2B merchandise license pitch too.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I went into the live action series expecting to laugh at the terrible special effects and silly outfits, which I did, but then I really started to get into the story and the characters.

Same here, I started watching purely for the camp factor, and then found myself crying at more than one part (both happy and sad tears). C'est la Vie gets stuck in my head at random times.

Awww but it was still amusing seeing the sentai aspects, like the zippers on the monster costumes :p And yes, that song I somehow still remember...

Yes, when WILL it get the nice remastered print?? And will we ever see Sailor V in english??
simside

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
Julia-the-Great wrote:

Same here. I wound up watching the first few with my roommate in a state of utter shock, ready to laugh, but we wound up watching the whole thing. Neither of us would admit it, but we both secretly liked it.

I didn't really like the manga. I read it as it was coming out in English, and at the time I ignored my aversion because I wanted to love it so much... but the later volumes just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Part of that may be that I didn't have the shoujo manga vernacular down at the time, but I was so horribly disappointed after I finished Sailor Stars that I never re-read it. Jason, I started this article wondering if you'd critique the story, then about halfway through, I started remembering what attracted me to it in the first place. I desperately want to re-read it now. I don't know how you did that after, like, ten years of me ignoring the deafening internet love for this series, but you did.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 am Reply with quote
I remember when I was a kid, and one day on YTV they started announcing some new show starting called "Sailor Moon". I decided to tune in and see what this show was, and loved it instantly. The characters in it were so cute, and it felt very exotic (everything is in 'Chinese'!) I ended up wanting more shows like this, and my love for anime was born.
Sailor Moon is one of those shows that holds a lot of fond memories for me - playing with my friend on the trampoline and shouting the soldiers attack names, going to the dollar store and getting all kinds of weird Sailor Moon merchandise, learning how to draw the characters, showing it to my niece one day, and having her instantly fall in love with it too. Even as an adult, it still makes an appearance - my boyfriend torturing me by playing Rainy Day Man in the car. Not to mention that the desire to read the Sailor Moon manga is part of the reason why I've started teaching myself Japanese.
It's a shame that the manga got such a poor English release, and that it went OOP so soon. Hopefully there will be a re-release of it in English soon, because there definitely is a demand for it.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
@Jason Thompson

Since even this article acknowledges that Sailor Moon is more famous as an anime than as a manga, I think that this article could have been even better if there had been more discussion about how the anime differed from the manga, especially given that Takeuchi was upset at a lot of the changes.

It could have been, but while I've read the entire manga twice, I've only watched a few episodes of the anime. There's already tons of stuff online about how the manga and anime are different and I defer to the people who've already put in the time watching and comparing.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
simside wrote:
I didn't really like the manga. I read it as it was coming out in English, and at the time I ignored my aversion because I wanted to love it so much... but the later volumes just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Part of that may be that I didn't have the shoujo manga vernacular down at the time, but I was so horribly disappointed after I finished Sailor Stars that I never re-read it. Jason, I started this article wondering if you'd critique the story, then about halfway through, I started remembering what attracted me to it in the first place. I desperately want to re-read it now. I don't know how you did that after, like, ten years of me ignoring the deafening internet love for this series, but you did.

I like the final final "this time for real" ending (i.e. the ending of Sailor Stars) a lot, actually, even though the series drags on to get to that point. I agree with what one of the other commenters said that the art is rough at first, but it gets a lot better over time.

Even now it's kind of hard for me to separate my nostalgic emotions about Sailor Moon from my critical "so how good *is* this manga actually?" side, but I think, all things considered, it's pretty darn good. It's got good characters, and like they say... it's got heart.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The rights are now owned by the original Japanese publisher Kodansha, so I have to ask, when are they going to do an English reprint?

I hear it's Toupee which is dicking us out of both the anime and manga.

Quote:
It's the same as how fanboys love to hate on Twilight, and it's just rude, not to mention stupid, since you'd think male anime fans would want to encourage more female fans.

I wanna encourage legal female fans. Wink But yeah, I admit I used to have a bias against shojo when it first came out in the 90s, 'cus I thought it was all lazy and pandering like CLAMP. Thank gawd Mars changed that perception. Anyway, I don't mind Twi-hards, but they take that stuff way too seriously. I mean, it's like fanboys making a big fuss out of Roadhouse 3. Laughing

As for
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6