• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - These Girls Can Jump Rope Too, Can't They?!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiriOni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I like Da Capo 3 for the MC's voice mostly. And because it was better, in my opinion, than Da Capo 2 anime.

But to be absolutely honest, this series lacks the amazing foreshadowing that increases the mystery that was in the original VN. In addition, I think the series is still in its prologue points. Just wait for the mystery to explode and spoiler[for the series to head to England] It gets better.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Half of the series is this incredibly slow slice-of-life show where boring kids are building a boring robot in a boring hangar.

I know others who thought the same but I happened to enjoy these episodes a lot. Just the right pace and it felt fresh to me.

I think extremely highly of the show (broke into my top 3) and I haven't seen Steins;Gate which I have seen numerous people say it isn't as good as. If it is better then I can't wait to see it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Sakurasou continues to get the respect it deserves Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The Stream wrote:
There isn't a drop of fanservice in this show, which I guess means they're hoping that teenage girls will help contribute to album sales and PV clicks. Even the “beach episode” just involves girls who happen to be at a beach, but absolutely no attempt is made to sexualize the characters in any way.

Well, there was a very blatant fanservice shot of Eri's rear end in the beach episode. But that was notable mainly for the total lack of fanservice otherwise.

As for Maoyuu, my feelings on the show have been the opposite. It had nothing but novelty in the beginning, and the first half of the show just was not working for me at all and had several thing that were really annoying me. While its still something of a mess and could use some more time to flesh some parts out, I've found things to be really coming together recently. Unlike the first 6-7 episodes, I've found myself actually interested in what's going on in the past few episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
The brilliance of Polar Bear Cafe is that all the animals could be humans and the show would still retain 90%+ of its humour and charm.

Before it began airing I was worried that the second season of Chihayafuru would not live up to the first. I think by now I can safely say that we all can rest easy; it's just as superb as its always been.
DG_Nick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I came to the same realization last week about Chihayafuru's main theme. I'm pretty sure I don't even have to watch an episode, I could just listen to it and start to tear up. It's incredibly unfair.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I agree wholeheartedly with your reviews of both Chihayafuru and Space Brothers. I don't think an episode of Chihayafuru has gone by without my getting teary at some point along the way, and this is coming from a guy quickly approaching retirement age. I do have little quibbles with Space Brothers (why give a gun to a Japanese person who has probably never held one in his or her life?), but Hirata Hiroaki is so winning as Mutta that I let those things pass by. The male VAs for Kenji and Nitta are also excellent, though I do wish Sawashiro had more to do then deliver three or four lines that usually focus on food.

I wish you could have reviewed AKB0048; I would have liked to read your perspective on it. I doubt it will have an R1 release, so it won't crop up in Shelf Life, and the second season of streaming will be ending soon. Maybe if they release a third season you can go back over the whole thing and give us your thoughts?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I wish you could have reviewed AKB0048; I would have liked to read your perspective on it. I doubt it will have an R1 release, so it won't crop up in Shelf Life,

Actually, it has already been licensed by Sentai.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I probably would have appreciated Da Capo III's pool episode more if the previous episodes hadn't been individual character episodes with barely any plot development. I liked it, and thought it was kinda funny, but by that point, I just wanted to get back to the mystery of the Sakura tree
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I do have little quibbles with Space Brothers (why give a gun to a Japanese person who has probably never held one in his or her life?)

You know, having read this comment, I've gained new appreciation for Mutta's comment, "Carrying this is a really heavy responsibility." At the time, I thought to myself, "What's the big deal? It's just a gun." But it didn't occur to me that Mutta is from a culture that is decidedly less gun crazy as ours, and thus doesn't regard them as casually as we might. I would assume the gun will come into play in a later episode, or else they wouldn't have brought it up.
Texas84

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Pet Girl was fun until the end. Bunch of entitled spoiled brats that never had a real problem in their lives. Oh wow, my video game didn't get published. Oh wow, I can't be a voice actress. And thanks for ruining my graduation.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Texas84 wrote:
Pet Girl was fun until the end. Bunch of entitled spoiled brats that never had a real problem in their lives. Oh wow, my video game didn't get published. Oh wow, I can't be a voice actress. And thanks for ruining my graduation.

I think when you're an entitled, spoiled brat who's never had a real problem in your life, it makes failure more difficult because you don't know how to handle it. When you're raised in comfort and expected to go to college and succeed, it can be a huge shock when you utterly fail to reach your dreams. Expectations are high for people raised in comfort. Failure is humiliating.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
From the New World continued to be my favorite series of the season. I do agree with Bamboo that I wish we had seen more of how humanity arrived to that point. I liked Robotics;Notes but did not find the ending as satisfying as I hoped. Maoyu is still a nice show to me, but the economy aspect is tedious at times.

These are my rankings and tentative ratings:

1. From the New World (Very good)
2. Robotics;Notes (Good)
3. Maoyu (Good)
4. Magi (Decent) - I am two or three episodes behind; it bores me.
5. Kotoura-san (So-so) - It turned into a very mediocre series.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
As about Love Live, while I agree in the "sport story", at least writers have been able to spoiler[prevent them from joining the big tournament and winning it by the power of friendship, or it seems so].

Maoyu... I am starting to hate the long over-detailed dialogues. If we call "dialogue" to "people talking -one by one- for minutes about wheat's price or how to fend off light cavalry".

The same for the names. If you cannot worry to give the Hero or King Demon a real name, it becomes hard to believe you're watching anything but "Economy 01 for otakus".

Last edited by kgw on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I dunno maybe it's just the cynical bitch in me, but I can't help but disagree with you about Chihayafuru not being melodramatic bamboo. To me it's just completely baffling that these characters are sometimes crying over a card game. And I know, I get it, a lot of the times it isn't the game perse but the things that it represents like their friendships and what not, but it always tends to come off as more about the cards and not about the time they spend together as friends and a team especially as far as Chihaya is concerned. The minute I start think "well, maybe it isn't so melodramatic" I get a heavy dose of a scene like the one from one of the past episodes where Arata played on the team with the West Fukui team and the one team mate was literally blubbering like a big baby because they were able to play a match. I mean really? I just can't help but roll my eyes over stuff like that. The show is still beautifully animated, and the characters more or less are getting some development, but if I didn't have a vested interest in seeing whether a certain ship is going to sail I would've dropped this show a long time ago, almost did once already but gave it another chance due to everyone gushing over it. Can't say that the second chance has done much to change my mind about it though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5