• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Grounded AlienS and Spaceborn Humans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
SnowfairyX wrote:
It really should have been on the Rental Shelf.

Why? Because it didn't match up to your expectations?

No, that's not it. Even if I did like the show, I would probably think that it is rental material anyway because of the bizarre nature of the show. I love Azumanga Daioh, for example, but I wouldn't argue with Bamboo's decision to have put it on the Rental Shelf in the past for the same reason.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I also found a picture of what melon bread (or "melonpan") looks like:

*picture got eaten*

Dear sweet nectar of the gods! *bows down and does homage*
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:
dude, chill. i have no problem with your picture of mellon bread. in fact, i don't see your picture. Confused i was simply wondering why my post was deleted and if it perhaps had something to do with the picture in it.

o_O I have no idea. I didn't do it. I found it entertaining. Post it again.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:
dude, chill. i have no problem with your picture of mellon bread. in fact, i don't see your picture. Confused i was simply wondering why my post was deleted and if it perhaps had something to do with the picture in it.

Oh, OK. The way you worded your post, I thought you took offense towards the picture I provided. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Embarassed

BTW, I also found a cute comic stripabout melon bread that you might like. Wink
Bell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Visited my nearby Mitsuwa today and bought my first Melon Pan from the Hippo Pantry House, mostly because of all the hoopla it caused on this board. It does taste good, especially with a chocolate chip filling. Anime smile
Gauss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Bell wrote:
Visited my nearby Mitsuwa today and bought my first Melon Pan from the Hippo Pantry House, mostly because of all the hoopla it caused on this board. It does taste good, especially with a chocolate chip filling. Anime smile

Oh my... Shocked

Is that supposed to be bread or pastry? I know that nowadays it's all too common for bakers to add sugar to the dough but... chocolate chips? And they dare call it bread!?
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
So wait, it's called melon bread, and contains no melon at all, leading me to believe that it doesn't taste like melon, and it's more of a pastery than a bread? I must try this thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, it doesn't have "melon" in it, nor is it melon flavored. It's just a sweet bread roll. When I was a kid, I always wondered why it's called "meron pan." From what I know now, the layer, which has a sugar cookie flavor, on the outer part of the bread looks like a melon and that could be where the name is from.

They also often add raisins to it.
Tamakun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yay for suggesting Sexy Commando for all those Cromartie fans! Very Happy

Seeing that I have not seen Cromartie, and my friends are telling me that I'd enjoy it, and I've seen the majority of Sexy Commando, I can tell I'll like it. Very Happy

I also loved the opening song ("Romance"), and was even more excited when it ended up on a Guitar Freaks mix. Very Happy

Edit: And I simply must try to make melonpan. Very Happy yay for DearS not being cannon fodder! Razz
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
My Beautiful Girl Mari sounds awesome. I have to find that.

It IS awesome. It's one of the few animated titles in my public list that I've rated "Masterpiece." I thought it had a very Isao Takahata feel to it while I was watching it... a similar kind of magical realism. Anyway, it's just phenomenal. The best Korean animation I've ever seen. Funny thing is I never thought it would be licensed, so I still have an R3 DVD from when it was first released. I'm glad that it now has the opportunity to be seen by American animation fans. Especially after the glowing review it received in Shelf Life. Thanks, Bamboo!! (I wasn't aware that non-anime titles were reviewed. What a pleasant surprise!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Balance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Are there more animes like DearS? I would like too see them, could anyone tell me more that look like it?
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:19 am Reply with quote
Balance wrote:
Are there more animes like DearS? I would like too see them, could anyone tell me more that look like it?

You must've missed this item in the DearS review:

Shelf Life #91 wrote:
Related Products: For another shounen romance series involving unhuman sweethearts with big gushy eyes serving men, check out Chobitsor Mahoromatic.
Egrimm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:02 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
What's really annoying is that we never learn the purpose of those twins with the earmuffs that do The Monkey during the ED (Cutest. ED. Ever.) And they look like such fun-loving girls, too.
We know, kinda. It's the girls from Poppins, the group that sing the song (and the seiyuu that voice Ren and Miyu iirc). They wear the exact same outfits in the PV of the song and dance around looking silly/cute depending on your view.
A bit sad that the dvd didn't have this PV, a concert video with the op (with Under17), Koi no Jet-shooter (PS2 game op) PV and cast interviews like the first Japanese dvd did. Of course was only 1 ep with half an hour extras :p (and some of them on the extra dvd that came with the first print only).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3