• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Valvrave the Liberator, Gurren Lagann TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
People can white knight for Aniplex all they want, I refuse to believe this kind of pricing model is right for anime. I shouldn't have to sell a gallon of plasma to pay for entertainment.

And I don't care if legal streams are an alternative, what if I want to see the show dubbed? CR barely does that as is and I bet Daisuki will do the same. I saw the GL dub on Sci-Fi's website back when it aired and liked it, hate on it all you want.

I personally just don't see why Westerners need to think they are special and somehow "Deserve" to pay next to nothing for anime. The people who actually fund the industry in Japan pay this kinda price as standard. Why shouldn't others around the world pay the same price? What makes you better then them?

That's a whole other discussion. Anime isn't big enough for mainstream prices but the luxury prices alienate a huge portion of its existing audience. This is the riddle we anime fans have to solve.

I really wish we had some sort of Kickstarter-style pricing model for each title where the hardcore fans can have their premium releases (a la first press Japanese release) and the casual fans can have their standard releases (a la Funimation/Sentai). I totally see both sides.

Last edited by ColonelYao47 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The set will also come with a box with an exclusive illustration by Yoh Yoshinari, DigiPak cases with exclusive illustrations by Atsushi Nishigori, a hardcover mook containing an archive of previously unpublished early production designs and other materials, and an illustration book with an exclusive cover illustration by Imaishi.

Either that's one hell of a big box, or you probably meant "book"
Gambeno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:

If you don't think this (DVD set) is worth the asking price you are being cheap. I'm glad we still have companies around that give out great little Limited Edition sets like this. This is what the hardcore fans want. I ordered the BD box set of GL months ago off Amazon Japan. I will pay the price for such an amazing set that will be a collectors item and something I'll have that not many will. A perfect collection of a great anime. I hope Aniplex continues to roll out these great sets since all the other Anime companies will not.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

I personally just don't see why Westerners need to think they are special and somehow "Deserve" to pay next to nothing for anime. The people who actually fund the industry in Japan pay this kinda price as standard. Why shouldn't others around the world pay the same price? What makes you better then them?

Err...different market? When you can get complete seasons of Live action TV shows here in the states for $40 bucks or less usually it's not that weird for people living here to expect the same of anime. Anime doesn't have to get a free pass to charge a signficantly higher price for people to own it just because it's anime. Different markets have different standards and since R1 companies, Aniplex USA included clearly don't have to pay anywhere near the same production costs as Japan does for titles there's no real need to charge this much other than the fact that they can. I mean charging $50-100 is pretty reasonable to me and anyone who thinks that price range is expensive I take issue with but this is kind of crazy.

Also I think the complaints are pretty justified this time around since it would actually be CHEAPER to just import the release from Japan than buy it from Aniplex USA. The DVD's will probably do decent for them but they may have made a mistake with these BD's. Guess we'll see.

Last edited by Divineking on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
So that comes out to $6.48 an episode for the DVDs and around $20 an episode (depending on how you count the movies) for the BD. Whereas Bandai at least offered a basic version for $4.48 an episode, and the Anime Legends version was $1.85 an episode.

Hope the extras are worth it for the people who have the cash.
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Anyone want to place bets on how fast this thread reaches 15 pages?

People should realize by now this will be the pricing for AoA's releases.

They're not going to change their way, and your complaints are falling on deaf ears. We all know you're not going to buy it because of the price, and no matter how strong an argument you make nothing will change.

Oh well, time to make some popcorn and watch this unfold.

And for reference, I like their product strategy. GL's something I might buy if the DVD box is from the Japanese BD encode. Never intended to import this, though.

edit:

Also unhappy that Aniplex is setting a precedent of ~$50 over the Amazon Japan price.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I know Aniplex is more expensive than normal, but I rather liked Gurren Lagann so maybe I'll-

Quote:
US$669.98

Thank you and good night.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
.__________________.

I think I'll keep my Bandai's Gurren Lagann: Anime Legends.
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I know Aniplex is more expensive than normal, but I rather liked Gurren Lagann so maybe I'll-

Quote:
US$669.98

$550.

It's literally impossible to find it online at the "MSRP" at official online retailers.

I wish this misconception that the MSRP is the price the items sell at would end.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Even discounted online that's still a lot of money to shell out for a series.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Quote:
US$669.98

$550.

It's literally impossible to find it online at the "MSRP" at official online retailers.

I wish this misconception that the MSRP is the price the items sell at would end.

Well that changes things completely.

I am totally willing to pay $550 for an anime series.

It was the extra $120 that made it so unreasonable for me.

Yup.
Mirri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Mirri wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Quote:
US$669.98

$550.

Yup.

It's clearly still too expensive for you but that $120 is nearly a 20% discount from the "MSRP" - I was criticizing the misinformation, not your refusal to buy it.

But if that's how things are, then why are you even here? This news is not relevant to you if you have no intention to buy it.

Oh, wait. Everyone just wants to do nothing but complain about Aniplex prices every time anything even remotely Aniplex related comes up.
vinnycthatwhoibe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I simply do not grasp why they can charge so much for a blu-ray set. There are other anime series out on blu-ray that do not cost anywhere near this price and they are LONGER. I love Gurren Lagann, but what on earth justifies this price tag? I mean, FMA Brotherhood is a great series and it's on blu-ray and i can pickup the whole set for what? $70 on amazon?

I realize it's imported and whatever but... these episodes are already ready to go. Just burn 'em to a freaking blu-ray disc, print some box art, and slap a $50 pricetag on the collection. And make a premium set for $75 that includes all the art and booklets.

Until they pull their heads out of the a$$, I'll continue pirating things. FYI, I buy a LOT of anime when it's not a piece of crap release. If they make a proper product and make it available to purchase for a competitive market value, I will happily buy it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Mirri wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Quote:
US$669.98

$550.

Yup.

It's clearly still too expensive for you but that $120 is nearly a 20% discount from the "MSRP" - I was criticizing the misinformation, not your refusal to buy it.

But if that's how things are, then why are you even here? This news is not relevant to you if you have no intention to buy it.

Oh, wait. Everyone just wants to do nothing but complain about Aniplex prices every time anything even remotely Aniplex related comes up.

And for some reason you stick around to be mad about it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:

People use MSRP because it's a set standard to which we can compare prices of different products to each other without having to factor in special circumstances like sales. It's set $670, that's what they want you to pay for it at places like FYE who never put new stuff on sale. End of that pedantic side argument. I don't see why you're trying to call us outrageous for saying it's expensive at that price, if $550 were the MSRP, we'd still bitch!

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24