• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oldest Anime Found

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:48 am Reply with quote
Was someone speedtyping and mistakenly hit T instead of D?
Walkabout

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:59 am Reply with quote
Yup, also in the last sentence it should be "lasts" not "last"...
Still, this is rather interesting, maybe they'll try to hunt down who made it...
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:50 am Reply with quote
Considering this was made around 1907, the person who made it is probably dead.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
soulless_mariuno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
Woah,
An anime dating back to 1907 is big.They probably will find out who did it.Man,this is intreging.
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
I know right? Next thing we'll find out is that Human Life really began on mars, and not Asia O_O!

This is really cool though. 3 seconds is really short for the action packed sequence described though. Writes the word "movie" and turns around and saluts. Thats one action a second. That boy was truckin...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Montusama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Considering the Wars that Japan had till the end of WWII this person is DEAD DEAD and even if this person didn't die from the wars this person would be more than 100 (unless he made this when he was just bored Very Happy) so finding the creator is probably impossible at least thru saying in a newspaper "Please Call us if you are the creator of this" and if they did such a thing (they won't) they could easly tell who was lying Razz
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Montusama wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Considering the Wars that Japan had till the end of WWII this person is DEAD DEAD and even if this person didn't die from the wars this person would be more than 100 (unless he made this when he was just bored Very Happy) so finding the creator is probably impossible at least thru saying in a newspaper "Please Call us if you are the creator of this" and if they did such a thing (they won't) they could easly tell who was lying Razz

there's no question they're gone. In order to have the talent to make an animated picture, they would need to be in atleast their thirties. Remember, there wouldnt be any good schools or training programs to learn how to do this back then. The art would have had to have been practiced for years by them by the time they made that 3 second film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote
Montusama wrote:
Considering the Wars that Japan had till the end of WWII this person is DEAD DEAD and even if this person didn't die from the wars

The oldest person in Japan is 116 years old, so he'd have been about 20 when this animation was created. So it's possible, but very unlikely that the creator of the animation is still alive.

But your assumption about the war is missplaced. The creator of the 1917 anime died in 1973.

Finding who created the animation though has very little to do with whether or not he's alive.

-t
Montusama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

But your assumption about the war is missplaced. The creator of the 1917 anime died in 1973.

Finding who created the animation though has very little to do with whether or not he's alive.
-t

Yes but if the crator is alive that makes it alot easlier to find out and about that war that might be true but I was only using it as an example.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
So how long before someone cosplays as the main character? Very Happy

------RM
mewtwo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
at least it reminds us how much easier it is to write "eiga" instead of what is literally the phrase "motion picture"... Neutral
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
That doesnt really say a whole lot though. That's like saying someone found a wooden plank on top of two sets of sticks with rocks attatched on the ends, disproving the fact that Henry Ford invented the automobile.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
That doesnt really say a whole lot though. That's like saying someone found a wooden plank on top of two sets of sticks with rocks attatched on the ends, disproving the fact that Henry Ford invented the automobile.

Henry Ford didn't invent the automobile. ^_^;;; It was invented by Carl Benz (as in Mercedes-Benz) a good twenty years before Ford brought out the Model T.

And this is a big deal. If anime=animation from Japan, and this is the first animation known to have been made in Japan, then no matter how primitive it is, "Title Unknown" is first anime ever.

And hey, three seconds may not be a lot, but it was most likely done by one guy who had to draw that little boy fifty times directly unto the film, which mean he couldn't make a mistake or he'd have to start all over. That's still a fair amount of work.
runpup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
How long before ADV licenses it?
streen2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Knowing them, probably not long. But no loss for the fansubbers - what's to sub? Rolling Eyes

But yeah, this discovery is really cool as hell
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2