• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
That was a nice first episode. The battle reminded me of the first episode of Macross Frontier. It was interesting to see them on a ship. I wonder what happened to the lands.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I too was reminded of Gunbuster, which I'm a pretty big fan of.

I liked this better because the bio aliens here had a certain elegance that the more intestine-like bio aliens of gunbuster lacked.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I mean, aside from the eye candy, it would be so painfully conventional to have a return of the spoiler[aliens] or, god forbid, spoiler[boringly avaricious humans and now he has to take the side of the backwater guys and Avatar/Dances with Wolves/name your other generic show with this storyline].

My thoughts exactly. While some were worried about the "too many girls=instant harem hijinks", I'm more concern with it turning to the spoiler[white-man's burden] storyline.

Behold, spoiler[a man with lighter skin pigment (and blueish hair) from the "more technology advanced" race has landed on your primitive, tree-hugging planet, ready to offer his wisdom and lead "your people" into some intergalactic battle that has absolutely nothing to do with them.] And, Ledo is totally going to hook up with spoiler[Amy]; not even a spoiler worthy.

Visually, it's what I expect from Production I.G, but if they start singing spoiler["Colors of the Wind"], I'm bailing.

Also, I like the alien designs from Gunbuster way more.
Sure, they aren't pretty light shows of bioluminescence in the starry sky, but that's the point. You're not suppose to look at a mencing, foreign life form and go, "Aww...I want to stare at it while it eats my face off!" Just look how organic and fungus-like they are: http://www.toponeraegunbuster.com/Gunbuster-Aliens.html
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok, according to the anime spotlight, Ledo is 16.

According to the show, he just exceeded 145,000 hours of military service: that's over 16 and a half years.

Is this a mistake, or a hint of some sort of plot element?

Anyways, really enjoyed the first episode, and am excited to see more.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. While some were worried about the "too many girls=instant harem hijinks", I'm more concern with it turning to the spoiler[white-man's burden] storyline.

Behold, spoiler[a man with lighter skin pigment (and blueish hair) from the "more technology advanced" race has landed on your primitive, tree-hugging planet, ready to offer his wisdom and lead "your people" into some intergalactic battle that has absolutely nothing to do with them.] And, Ledo is totally going to hook up with spoiler[Amy]; not even a spoiler worthy.
l

I think you're reading too much into it here. First of all, White Man's Burden is a western idea and therefore a Japanese guy using it would make no sense.

Second, Ledo is almost certainly pale because he works in space in a mecha and therefore isn't as exposed to sunlight that much (or at all). All of the people on Earth ARE exposed to sunlight, and therefore are darker-skinned.

Also, for it to be WMB, the "white man"'s world has to be portrayed as far superior to the "natives". But Ledo's world, at least in my opinion, came off more as some kind of seriously screwed-up military dictatorship drowned in propaganda (with the whole "HUMANS DA BEST SCREW EVERYONE ELSE" and the "Glorious Human Empire") that treats its own citizens like cattle.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Ok, according to the anime spotlight, Ledo is 16.

According to the show, he just exceeded 145,000 hours of military service: that's over 16 and a half years.

Is this a mistake, or a hint of some sort of plot element?

Anyways, really enjoyed the first episode, and am excited to see more.

Implies to me that he grew up in the military, probably born to serve in the military. Maybe a clone or something, but even without that an extremely military culture would suffice. Which also makes sense, given that apparently he's never been "home" before.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
You also have to remember that it's not just 16 years in service--it's 16 years of service. That's even more ridiculous since it doesn't count downtime.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
He doesn't have the right to sleep, remember? Although arguably rest would count as part of his duty if his commanders consider it necessary.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

There was so much going on in that battle that I had to keep pausing to take it all in. Everything from the terms used, implied culture, functions of his craft, what the enemy looked like, and despite the chaos it felt very well thought out. I am pretty sure most of us figured out he was spoiler[on a planet] early on, but we had to get into his mindset of finding out surprise of something not being ideal for vacuum or having exactly 1 G gravity. I probably should have calculated how long his service was, but I was able to calculate that he was later in sleep for 185 days.

Anyway I like the look of this show, was particularly interested because Urobuchi was on this, and it seems he did another interesting sci-fi concept after Psycho-Pass. Most likely will watch more, kind of hope it does not get too dark though. And lol at the girl's words being about spoiler["reproduction with one's mother" (mother f#$ker)] and spoiler["sanctified excrement" (holy sh!t).]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I probably should have calculated how long his service was,

spoiler[16.5 years]
batou37

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
@ Clarste
At least from the CR subs it says that citizenship gives them the right to sleep, eat, etc... freely as in not rigidly structured. At least that's the way I took it.
I'd say the whole time thing is that they are born into military service and training. The time during which they sleep is counted as well because of the REM training. I enjoyed the first pretty much other then then some of the terms used. I'm a bit of a sci fi geek and have read hundreds of novels and am therefore quite forgiving on the names given to future tech, but unless CR's subs were wrong this had a few that were quite goofy. the "ergo" region of the wormhole? Or in other words the "thus region" of the wormhole or the "hence" or "consequently" region? The Dimenstrium sounded pretty strange too. Other than those two small things the art was great the story seemed solid thus far, and the characters seem like they will be interesting.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
I don't think they're pale from lack of sun. I think they're genetically modified, or at least have drifted from modern humans. In the show they called people 'descendants of humanity' rather than 'humans', which seems to indicate that we've diversified a bit over time.

As for the 16.5 years of service, I think that counts linear time as opposed to him being awake. They didn't seem to imply that the counter was paused. Hell, it could have been just how old he is since he was probably raised to be a soldier from birth.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Didn't Urobuchi said this show is for and about young adults who are in their early twenties?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

There was so much going on in that battle that I had to keep pausing to take it all in. Everything from the terms used, implied culture, functions of his craft, what the enemy looked like, and despite the chaos it felt very well thought out. I am pretty sure most of us figured out he was spoiler[on a planet] early on, but we had to get into his mindset of finding out surprise of something not being ideal for vacuum or having exactly 1 G gravity. I probably should have calculated how long his service was, but I was able to calculate that he was later in sleep for 185 days.

Anyway I like the look of this show, was particularly interested because Urobuchi was on this, and it seems he did another interesting sci-fi concept after Psycho-Pass. Most likely will watch more, kind of hope it does not get too dark though. And lol at the girl's words being about spoiler["reproduction with one's mother" (mother f#$ker)] and spoiler["sanctified excrement" (holy sh!t).]

Me too . This show pay so much to attention to small details. I had to pause so many times during this show to get all the information. I haven't do this for a long time.
This anime is so different than most anime, I have no idea why people think this anime is generic.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...
Lots of action in the first episode.
All the colors and shooting were pretty confusing.
At first I thought about dropping it, but the second part totally changed my mind!
I so watching this!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 52