• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Ledo's new role as a goofball continues. spoiler[I lost count of the number of boob shots we got in this episode and most of them were from Amy of all people. I don't get what the producers are thinking. Are they worried we can't focus unless there are close-ups of female body parts on the screen every 30 seconds?]

The "targeted demographic" are males in their teens and 20s. So, apparently they have the attention span of Amy' pet squirrel and spoiler[need boobs to understand the "complicated" story.] Not the best episode but, a thousand time better than the previous. If Ledo and Amy don't have children by the end of the series, then there's no other reason for the blatant "romance" between them.

Ledo is still the butt of the jokes but, at least, he continues to learn more about the society. The fact he spoiler[couldn't swim] and didn't know how to spoiler[manually control machinery] without Chamber would have been more interesting had Bellows spoiler[taught him how to use an underwater Yumboro.] They missed an opportunity for him to stop relying on Chamber and integrate more into his environment. Also, they missed the golden chance to spoiler[get rid of Pinion] via a giant squid attack. I would believe that spoiler[ the Hideauze originated from Earth around the time humans went into space.]
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
If Ledo and Amy don't have children by the end of the series, then there's no other reason for the blatant "romance" between them.

Indeed. I have started wondering whether this will follow the the story line of movies like Starman where Ledo returns to space leaving Amy carrying his "starchild." Since the mains are sixteen that seems an unlikely development, especially since the writers chose to ignore the rather obvious opportunity for Amy and Ledo to discover kissing while watching the light show in this episode, I now don't expect them to kiss until the end of the series. At that pace we will be left to speculate about starbabies.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I now don't expect them to kiss until the end of the series. At that pace we will be left to speculate about starbabies.

I dunno. During Amy's dance Ledo did a pretty good impression of some guy getting his first boner ever.

And keerist almighty. What are the girls doing dressing and dancing like that if they don't want to do it? Even that gay guy Pinion had to remark on it.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode this week. It was interesting seeing Ledo struggle with the concept of money, and I like how it tied into him trying to understand work in the last ep showing that there was some value to it despite people's complaints. Also nice to see the romance between him and Amy progressing quite a bit. The angles for those dancing scenes felt a bit too much at times but I guess the purpose was to highlight Ledo's attraction so I sort of get where they were going with it. Should be interesting to see where the romance stuff leads since Ledo doesn't really have any concept of the subject at all.

The Hideauze related stuff was also pretty nice. I thought Ledo would cause a bigger scene after that freakout but it was nice to see them avoid that cliche, though I wonder what'll happen now that he's confirmed the real deal are living on the planet.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I thought Ledo would cause a bigger scene after that freakout

I see where you're coming from but here are your choices:
  1. Pay attention to a guy freaking out at an octopus.
  2. Watch scantily-clad, underaged girls dance.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Divineking wrote:
I thought Ledo would cause a bigger scene after that freakout

I see where you're coming from but here are your choices:
  1. Pay attention to a guy freaking out at an octopus.
  2. Watch scantily-clad, underaged girls dance.

Sadly this makes perfect sense according to anime logic...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Love that ending image by Tsuji Santa. Dayum.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
It was interesting to see them implement Arabic culture.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
So, could this ep have been subtitled "Ledo's first wetdream"?

Actually, I find it interesting that they are subtly establishing Ledo's attraction to Amy without explicitly saying anything about it; given what we know about Ledo's character, he doesn't have the words to express how he's beginning to feel, and Amy's too shy or unsure to acknowledge anything between them at this point. It's a great demonstration of "show vs. tell."

I would love to see Ledo learn how to swim and use this world's manual equipment, but him fishing in Chamber was worth it just to see the *smile* on Ledo's face as he was about to board Chamber again!

The episode ended spoiler[ on a cliffhanger. Was that a squid or a Hideuaze thing? If it was humanity's alien enemy, did it originate on Earth, or did Ledo bring spores back with him from deep space? The ep titles imply that things are about to get really exciting!]
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:55 am Reply with quote
That was a good episode.I like how they dealt with Ledos idea of spending money,and how he has now decided that he should be a consumerist.When given two choices (to go with Pinion and get some quick money,or to go with Bellamy and increase)he chose the second one,which is quite an obvious nod to real world problem of young people that give up on their ambitions to get some quick cash.
The fanservice was nice cause:a)it made sense that it happened b)I didn't feel like I need to shower after that.Animation during that scene was also quite stunning,and Yamauchi knows how to direct.
Now that Ledo found a job and knows how to spend money,I am thinking that plot will kick in big time.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
Underage girls dancing in extremely revealing costumes... this is why I don't suggest anime to non anime fans. lol.

After this episode I'm going to guess spoiler[ the hideaze developed from nanotechnology gone wrong, and are what really drove most of humanity off-world, not an ice age. ]

I liked this episode but I'm starting to think this is less a sci-fi show and more simply a very pretty critique on modern society... mainly the generation that grew up on Japan's lost decades.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Underage girls dancing in extremely revealing costumes... this is why I don't suggest anime to non anime fans. lol.

I made the mistake to recommend this to a friend who likes sci-fi.

I have actually recommended a lot of good series to her that she enjoyed but if I knew how much fanservice this would have I definitely would not have recommended this one.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
About Chamber. Given how completely dependent Ledo is on Chamber, he seems remarkably unconcerned about any maintenance requirements Chamber might have. Its technology seems to have an inexhaustible power source and is pretty much invulnerable to wear and tear even in the salt water environment. Local power tools couldn't even scratch it. But what would Ledo do if Chamber started to malfunction? Or is Chamber basically built to be eternal?

So it seems there is pretty much a connection between local seafood and hideaze. Something related to that could explain why, out of the petabillion places in the universe he could have landed, Ledo ends up on Earth rather than some other random planet after being sucked through the wormhole. And right underneath Amy no less.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I am from Balkans and due to the influence of Ottoman Empires belly dancing is quite popular here.I have seen a younger girls dancing in those exact clothes a lot times actually,so I got immune to it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
My emotions are mixed towards the most recent episode but it had me thinking of a Zentradi, from the Macross series, saying "Deculture."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 52