• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zork

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
Ignatz wrote:
I agree. I'm amazed how easily people can get offended.

This internet social justice fad is definitely getting annoying. Confused

Nah, what's annoying are dipshits who think they have a monopoly on what should or should not be discussed. "Gee, I'm not offended by this so nobody else should be, either." That's the unmistakable bleat of a useless asspipe as far as I"m concerned.

What about the flip side of the coin? Equally annoying and of equal asspipe uselessness are the people who claim the moral high ground. "I'm offended by such and such so everyone else should be offended, too."

You could argue that stereotyping is wrong and that those who oppose it are indeed right, but before you do I suggest doing an internet search on LGBT programs or gay pride. View some of the images and watch some of the videos. You'll see real people who make the three transvestites in Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet look positively normal. If people in the LGBT community don't mind stereotyping themselves, why are others offended?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
No one cares if you are personally offended or not. The problem is when you brush off my & other people's issues with the episode as silly and overreacting.

If people pointing out things that they saw as problematic in the narrative is ruining your enjoyment of the show, well that is your problem.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
seriously enough!This is getting off topic and the whole debate is stupid. How about we talk about the show instead of saying who is right and who is wrong. It really amazes me how 2 scenes in a episode completely derail everything. Maybe next time if someone is being ignorant just ignore them and move on. No need to bring more attention to it then there already has been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
@jsc315 You are being insensitive to people that like to be offended; that's offensive. Please go be an adult elsewhere.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
@jsc315 You are being insensitive to people that like to be offended; that's offensive. Please go be an adult elsewhere.

Funny how mocking people=being an adult
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
@Maidenoftheredhand I didn't see jsc315 mocking anyone. You must be oversensitive.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
@Maidenoftheredhand I didn't see jsc315 mocking anyone. You must be oversensitive.

Hint I wasn't talking about him.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Hint: I was mocking you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Zork wrote:
Blood- wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
Ignatz wrote:

Nah, what's annoying are dipshits who think they have a monopoly on what should or should not be discussed. "Gee, I'm not offended by this so nobody else should be, either." That's the unmistakable bleat of a useless asspipe as far as I"m concerned.

What about the flip side of the coin? Equally annoying and of equal asspipe uselessness are the people who claim the moral high ground. "I'm offended by such and such so everyone else should be offended, too."

Point me to a post in this thread where someone was offended by the ridiculously unfunny cross-dressing stuff and who also said (paraphrasing) I'm offended and you should be too?

I'll just wait here for ya.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
@TatsuGero23 You've been rational, logical, and civil this entire discussion. So unless you shape up and start being whiny and offended at the anime, offended at the writers, offended at those that are not offended, offended that the word "offended" sounds mildly offensive: GTFO. We don't need sensible people around here; I want to see otaku fights and catgirl fights.

Ha. That made me laugh. Even if you were just being sarcastic and making fun of me or being truthful but in a sarcastic manner, that made me laugh. I needed that. Thanks.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We have been given plenty of hints that Ledo knows a lot more than just combat. In episode 1 he used logical deduction to understand his situation and rule out various possibilities. He recognized the 'ancient' tools that Gargantia used and took great care not to harm anyone. He could've taken control of the whole fleet by force, like any soldier would've done, but instead he opted for diplomacy and giving aid and trust to people who had him at gunpoint. This is not the mindset of someone who only knows how to fight.

Furthermore, Chamber has the task of supporting Ledo in anything he wants to do, showing that the Galactic Alliance had considerable interest in the well-being and capability of its soldiers.

That is true for any education that exists.When you graduate something like literature it doesnt mean that only skill you posses is analysis of a book.There is always an aspect of critical opinion ( which can and should be applied to everything)and logical deduction.Even with all of characteristics that Ledo posses where is he suppose to find a workplace?Being logical and diplomatic is great,but the only job that necessarily requires such skills is the one of leader of Garganita(or whatever it is does old people are doing).And for that years of trust and experience are needed,so that is impossible.
EDIT:Also forgot to mention Shigeyasu Yamauchi dude who directed episode 5 of From the new world,will be doing episode 6 of Gargantia.This will be fun.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
EDIT:Also forgot to mention Shigeyasu Yamauchi dude who directed episode 5 of From the new world,will be doing episode 6 of Gargantia.This will be fun.

Yay! Very Happy I hope we have more awesome visuals that everyone hates!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Yay! Very Happy I hope we have more awesome visuals that everyone hates!

He directed far more than that episode of SSY (which I didn't have a problem with).

I think he has one of the most unique visuals styles. Not sure how it will translate into this series but I certainly look forward to his episode more than the last one.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Would it have been so hard to say: "Chamber, could you heat this metal plate to 150 degrees?"
Zork

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Zork wrote:
Blood- wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
Ignatz wrote:

Point me to a post in this thread where someone was offended by the ridiculously unfunny cross-dressing stuff and who also said (paraphrasing) I'm offended and you should be too?

I'll just wait here for ya.

Please point out in my earlier posting where I specifically mentioned people being offended by the cross-dressing stuff. Because I don't have decades waiting for you to reply, I'll answer for you. I didn't. I was speaking generalities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 52