• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryce Papenbrook, Cherami Leigh Lead Sword Art Online Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Absolutely loved Papenbrook's work in DRRR!!

Forgive me if I'm stepping on your shoes a bit here, but.... HOW?

Bryce Papenbrook's Masaomi was one of the most annoying performances I've heard as of recently. Every time he said something like "Laterz, peepz!!" or "BOOBIE-LICIOUS!!" it'd make me want to strangle a kitten with a dead puppy. Granted, when Masaomi goes into serious mode near the end, he gets a lot better, but the first two parts are horribly irritating.

That having been said, he's still far from the worst actor in the dub. That honor goes, as usual, to Mr. Darrel "I'm a whiny, effeminate robot who can't act to save his life" Guilbeau. Mad

Thankfully, Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman and Patrick Seitz make that dub at least tolerable, so that helps. Smile
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Bryce Papenbrook's Masaomi was one of the most annoying performances I've heard as of recently. Every time he said something like "Laterz, peepz!!" or "BOOBIE-LICIOUS!!" it'd make me want to strangle a kitten with a dead puppy. Granted, when Masaomi goes into serious mode near the end, he gets a lot better, but the first two parts are horribly irritating.

I don't get it. It sounds like you hated Bryce's performance whenever his character acts silly. But dub or not, the character would act like he's in his own silly, optimistic world and make bad jokes in much of the show anyway. So were you really angry at the fact Bryce dubbed the role or rather were you annoyed with the Masaomi character himself? Or considering the specific phrases you used as examples of lines you hated in the dub, could it be you had more of a problem with the script?
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Were you able to identify any of the other actors? I'm particularly interested in who they got to voice Klein.

Klein sounded very familiar for sure. For a moment, I almost thought it was Vic Mignogna, however it was more than likely not. Again, it definitely sounded familiar for sure.

Unable to really pinpoint any other voice actors or actresses because generally the lines were pretty short for most of the main supporting characters. Besides I was too engrossed into SAO that I kinda forgot that I was watching an anime Laughing

I would assume that Aniplex USA will be annoucing the full cast here in the next couple days to weeks since the cat is out of the bag now.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
I'm with ChibiBritt on this one. Regardless of what you may have thought of it, SAO was the big new series of 2012, by pretty much any measuring stick. So what VA wouldn't be pleased as punch to be associated with it, especially in one of the three biggest and most important roles?

Echo_City, the degree of hate you're spewing on Asuna as a character is approaching soapboxing level, as well as becoming almost comically hyperbolic. I know that a lot of people didn't like what the story did with her in the second arc, but she is nowhere near as bad a character as you claim and shows competency far greater than any mere "waifu." In fact, I'd say that her being more than a mere "ideal waifu" is why her essentially being unable to act for most of the second arc stung so badly. That certainly wouldn't have been the case if there was no more to her than what you're claiming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...shows competency far greater than any mere "waifu." In fact, I'd say that her being more than a mere "ideal waifu"...

To add to this, straight from Reki Kawahara-san's mouth (at his Q&A panel), he said he believed he made Asuna and Kirito too perfect in the sense of an ideal person. Kawahara-san said that is why he made Hiroyuki in Accel World the way he did was because of how much of a perfect character Asuna and Kirito were.

I'm in full agreement with Key.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Key wrote:
...shows competency far greater than any mere "waifu." In fact, I'd say that her being more than a mere "ideal waifu"...

To add to this, straight from Reki Kawahara-san's mouth (at his Q&A panel), he said he believed he made Asuna and Kirito too perfect in the sense of an ideal person. Kawahara-san said that is why he made Hiroyuki in Accel World the way he did was because of how much of a perfect character Asuna and Kirito were.

Huh. That little line there made me gain a whole lot of respect for him. It's the mark of a true writer--one who can realize their mistakes and correct them.
Kayito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I Love the voice acting of the guy, from his role in durarara!! I'm excited for his part as Kirito...never got past the first episode of Fairy Tail to know what the girl is capable of, but the Japanese casters know what they're doing, so...I trust em lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5