• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kara no Kyoukai Standard Blu-ray Box Slated for July 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
First of all, the article is talking about the Japanese release, and second, people really shouldn't talking about things that have not yet been decided. AoA pricing is an endless debate, just like sub vs. dub. Instead of going around in circles, let's just not talk about it unless you have something new and meaningful to add that doesn't result in insults being thrown around and whatnot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
I'm interested to hear Mirri's opinion that the DVD version is actually better to watch than the BD. Has anyone else had this experience?
Mirri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm interested to hear Mirri's opinion that the DVD version is actually better to watch than the BD. Has anyone else had this experience?

It's not so much that it's better as much as it is they are set close together in visual experience that I don't understand why people throw such huge tantrums about the BD set(s).

The audio is absolutely better on the BDs but my setup is not high fidelity enough for it to make a real difference.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote
Well, that's good to know. I've been holding off getting the AoA DVD LE because a) I'm waiting to see if it ever goes on sale the way the R.O.D. BD set did one year and b) waiting to see if AoA ever releases a regular BD version. If there's not much diff in visual quality, it makes buying the DVD LE a more attractive option.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
Calibrator wrote:
Roflolololol. $400 is standard price for a blu-ray box set now?

Yes, this is pretty standard for Blu-Ray Box Sets.

That's actually about close to what it cost me for the Dancougar Blu-Ray sets which was an older show, while these are recent and films.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:

Those are some of the more friendly shots.

That is a crock. If you really think I have the free time to cherry pick over 100 comparison screenshots to make sure the BD comes out looking better, you're nuts. The DVD screenshots were taken before the corresponding BD screenshots, so I had no way of knowing which shots would be favorable to the BDs in the first place.

The fact is the BD always looks better than DVD, in motion or not. Was it animated at a 1080p level of detail? Nope. No series that started production the better part of a decade ago was. It isn't a "shoddy upscale." Its appearance has nothing to do with Aniplex's encoding at all. This is the way it was animated. The BD release only reveals what it actually looks like, including any deficiencies, and if you don't like it, your beef is with ufotable's work. Even in the extras, where a low-bitrate Japanese cable special that aired about a year prior to the BD box release is there as is, the animation looks the same. Maybe Aniplex took apart those clips, placed their "shoddy upscale" shots in there, then recreated the graphics from the special on top of them. But I'll take the simpler explanation.
Gambeno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

This is false, I'm not sure what hardware he is running or TV size but on a 50" LED TV the difference is night and day. I have both and the BD version is far superior. To say its not is silly.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy that the BDs are getting a re-release. But what about the epilogue? Will it be sold separately?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
And does anyone happen to know if the reg BD release will have English subtitles?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Im sort of glad I held back and didn't order the DVD box set from them, but at the same time dat price Anime dazed
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Supposedly the bundle price is more discounted than paying for the individual pieces separately. Laughing
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why this new regular edition Blu-Ray set wouldn't have english subtitles they probably or going to repackage any leftover discs and then press the same ones from the first release.

I'd bet good money Rightstuf will sell this and if they do I would guess it would be in the 350.00 dollar range which is a bit cheaper than the 400.00 dollars it was for the limited number of import sets they had over 2 years ago for sale discounted.

The new epilogue doesn't come out till fall in theaters so their is no way this set will contain it.

I'll say one thing now that they are releasing it again on Blu-Ray all of us that bought the limited edition release, it's value will go down. Since people will now wait for the standard release and save a few bucks. Not that we can't get our money back and a few extra bucks, I'll never sale mine but gone are the 600-900 dollar days used on Ebay. Still the box is nice and the artbook is gorgeous, the only thing I hate is taking off the re-sealable plasstic cover over the box that contains the discs. It's a pain in the ass to take it off and put it back on every time I want to watch it, I should store it else where.

From every Blu Ray to DVD comparison I own side by side the Blu-Ray depending on the series will always look better. Sometimes it's only marginally better and not that much difference or it's night and day where it's completely better. The main difference I notice every time on a properly set up big screen TV is the colors are always darker more eye popping and sharper lines/images. On some DVD's for most people it's not worth double dipping or rebuying on Blu-Ray.

I'm just glad that it's available again on Blu-Ray for those who missed their chance the first time around.

It's laughable to those who complain about the price. It's not so expensive that if you saved your whole life you never could afford it. Just save a few bucks here and their until you can get it, so what you don't have the money day of release get it at a latter date down the road when you can.

And I'll tell you this Aniplex of America is the reason why this show had English subtitles they were the ones that convinced Aniplex of Japan to add them because they knew the series had a huge following outside of Japan.

And it's AOJ that sets the prices they could careless if people complain about the price of their properties. Why because they have that power they make and own the shows and two enough people are willing to pay it. I was their at the premiere in San Francisco and the Aniplex guys from Japan wouldn't bat a eyelash if they cut off all import releases with english subtitles. Think about it imagine your favorite title gets released and even if you were to pay whatever price it is, and are willing to import it, the show is in raw japanese only because you pissed them off. Now you can't buy the show at all. Just be thankful they are still dealing with us fans outside their primary market.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:

It's laughable to those who complain about the price. It's not so expensive that if you saved your whole life you never could afford it. Just save a few bucks here and their until you can get it, so what you don't have the money day of release get it at a latter date down the road when you can.

I see this thrown around a lot, but people often miss the point. It's not that everyone who complains can't afford it. Speaking for myself, I can afford it, but I think Japanese prices are freaking insane. I wouldn't pay those prices even for my favorite anime.

Dfens wrote:
And I'll tell you this Aniplex of America is the reason why this show had English subtitles they were the ones that convinced Aniplex of Japan to add them because they knew the series had a huge following outside of Japan.

And it's AOJ that sets the prices they could careless if people complain about the price of their properties. Why because they have that power they make and own the shows and two enough people are willing to pay it. I was their at the premiere in San Francisco and the Aniplex guys from Japan wouldn't bat a eyelash if they cut off all import releases with english subtitles. Think about it imagine your favorite title gets released and even if you were to pay whatever price it is, and are willing to import it, the show is in raw japanese only because you pissed them off. Now you can't buy the show at all. Just be thankful they are still dealing with us fans outside their primary market.
That only applies to those willing to import in the first place. I don't care if Japanese releases have English subtitles or not since I would never buy them. I'd rather have Aniplex gone and not have subs on Japanese releases since I view Aniplex as blocking any kind of legitimate non-import Blu Ray release in the US for these titles. I'm more or less fine with Bakemonogatari like prices for Blu Rays, but I'm not fine with imports. Call me paranoid, but I'm convinced Aniplex does these import releases for titles that they have no intention of releasing non-import Blu Rays. Maybe I'll be a little less negative about these damn imports if I see Aniplex actually releasing non-import Blu Rays for some of the import titles. I don't care about DVDs or streaming. I'm willing to pay Bakemonogatari prices for Blu Rays, but I'm not paying that much for inferior quality which is why I didn't buy the Garden of Sinners DVD set.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too stoked on what Aniplex charges for imports or even the US release subtitled versions that are cheaper than Japan prices but still cost a pretty penny. I won't defend their pricing but acknowledge that their is no way around it, they own the shows so either they charge a arm and a leg for them or the other option for them is just sitting on it and not licensing it to anyone. Would rather have the ability to own a legitimate copy of a series than none at all.

At least though they do offer shows import only or not with english subtitles, imagine if they shut down AOA tomorrow and said f-the US or foreign markets and said we aren't releasing outside of Japan ie Japanese language only. Then what how many shows now or in the future would never be available how does that help anyone?

Aniplex is in a whole another league compared to other US licensors, you can't change their minds on pricing so all the bitching and boycotting in the world isn't going to do anything.

If you like their show and want to own it then pay their prices or move on.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I won't defend their pricing but acknowledge that their is no way around it, they own the shows so either they charge a arm and a leg for them or the other option for them is just sitting on it and not licensing it to anyone. Would rather have the ability to own a legitimate copy of a series than none at all.

I'm hoping for the third option. Aniplex of America goes out of business and things return to the pre-Aniplex days where other companies would license Aniplex properties. I know that Aniplex started the USA branch because they weren't happy with the little profit from us, but I doubt they'd cut us off completely if the venture fails. A little money is better than no money.

Dfens wrote:
At least though they do offer shows import only or not with english subtitles, imagine if they shut down AOA tomorrow and said f-the US or foreign markets and said we aren't releasing outside of Japan ie Japanese language only. Then what how many shows now or in the future would never be available how does that help anyone?

That logic applies to the non-import releases, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that import only releases are the equivalent of no release for the majority of fans over here. If anything, I think import titles are worse than no release because that means I can give up on seeing a Blu Ray release for years if I see one at all. I could at least have hope of seeing a non-import Blu Ray release if Aniplex didn't bring over these official imports. Like I said above, I still doubt that Aniplex would stop licensing titles all together.

Dfens wrote:
Aniplex is in a whole another league compared to other US licensors, you can't change their minds on pricing so all the bitching and boycotting in the world isn't going to do anything.

If you like their show and want to own it then pay their prices or move on.
Complaining isn't going to do anything. Aniplex obviously doesn't care, but the hatred and bile towards Aniplex probably isn't ever going to stop.

I'm going to shut up now before I get this thread locked since this is off topic.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3