• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon May Be Pre-Reg Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
dokool wrote:

They announced after last year's con that there would be a prereg limit. Everyone knows Otakon is getting bigger and bigger (one reason why 2003 was the only time I'll ever go).

Yeah, it'd be one thing if they were springing this on us at the last minute, but they gave plenty of advance notice that attendance would be capped, so it you miss out, it's your own fault. Doubtless there will be some people throwing fits outside the BCC on Friday morning when they're told there's no reg-at-the-door, but that's what they get for not planning properly.

I'm gonna be there. ^^ I don't really mind the crowds, though I can see how some people might prefer a smaller con.
tstidm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As of midnight Eastern time, pre-registration for Otakon 2005 is closed. We will be offering a LIMITED number at-door registrations for Otakon 2005. (Once we clean up the remaining data, we'll know the final number available.)

We expect that these will go quickly, and in the event we sell out completely, we WILL post that information to the website immediately.

If you haven't pre-registered, make sure you check the website before you come to the convention center, because once we've sold out, that's it. You'll be turned away.

We WILL NOT be able to issue more registrations. (The only exceptions will be for children under 8 accompanied by a registered adult, or people who've received a waiver from our pre-reg department due to complications with their registration.)

Even if you drove fifteen hours to get here, spending the last bit of your meagre earnings from selling all your worldly possessions, even if you did all that to satisfy the last dying wishes of your best friend who said "just go to Otakon before I die....", we simply cannot budge on this one.

This is Otakon's Final answer about On Site Registration for this year. The last minute people are luck, but I don't think they will be as lucky in 2006.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Well with the convention center Hilton approved, things are looking up.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
saishokushugisha, I don't that policy at all. The policy of the con should have been to issue special passes for the panelists, since they are guests of the con. When Otakon says to have the panelists pre-reg, they are inflating the number of pre-regs unfairly to some point.

I've been at coins before and I have never heard of panelists or guests of the con who were invited to attend, to pre-reg for the con. These guests are more than often enough given special passes identifying them as guests or special members of the con itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2