• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Film Critic Roger Ebert Passes Away

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Literally the only film critic I have consistently watched/read over the past quarter century. Even when I disagreed with him, he writes with such enthusiasm and wit that I could never really get angry about it. I will miss him dearly.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
RIP Roger.

I loved watching your reviews when you were doing them with the late Siskel and I loved seeing you do them by yourself or with whomever you had with you.

Ebert had great taste I will miss him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Very possibly the last human being who will ever become famous as a movie critic. Print film criticism is dying and all the Internet has produced so far is rabid fanboys like Harry Knowles. Not an Ebert or a Kael in the bunch.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
One of the best writers and critics we've ever had. Really gonna miss him.

May he RIP.
yurixhentai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it, he was the only film critic I actually followed. I have a lot of respect for him. Rest in Peace.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
One of the only critics I actually read on a regular basis. His passion for film shined through in every word of his reviews. He will be sorely missed.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Roger, this one's for you. Anime smileb
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I disagreed with his opinions more often than not, but always respected him. Watching Siskel and Ebert back in the day was a real blast.

R.I.P., Mr. Ebert. You will be missed.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't keep much consistancy with reviewers, but may he Rest in peace.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, no! He was my favorite film critic, and the one I respected the most. His film reviews were so well-written, and so was his blog. He seemed like a smart man. Man, the critc industry just lost a very important person. Crying or Very sad
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Farewell today to one of the few critics I actually followed. I didn't agree with all of his reviews, as I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree with mine (so is the nature of subjective opinion). But as an aspiring lover of movies myself, I think I speak on behalf of most people when I say his unspeakable wisdom and passion for film will truly be missed. Thanks for everything, Mr. Ebert.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Watched him and Gene Siskel on PBS oh-so-many-years-ago and I always enjoyed his reviews even when he was as far from right as it was possible to be.

Requiescat in pace. May the light be an eternal flicker of a projector...

Mark Gosdin
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Read this, which has nothing to do with reviews or even movies, but about this incredible man.

http://www.salon.com/2011/09/15/roger_ebert/
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't matter whether I agreed with his reviews or not; few other reviewers I've read have been able to match him in terms of writing and wit. This was a man who truly loved his craft. R.I.P Mr. Ebert; I'm sure you'll continue to be an icon for many years to come.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Very possibly the last human being who will ever become famous as a movie critic. Print film criticism is dying and all the Internet has produced so far is rabid fanboys like Harry Knowles. Not an Ebert or a Kael in the bunch.

Blame it on the downfall of the education system...

... and btw, the problem is NOT isolated to the US.

There are more and more people being born into a zombie lifestyle where they go through the motions, eat the same junk, go for whatever the prevailing entertainment trends/culture tells them, and they're just not taught how to think for themselves or enjoy life without accumulating a bunch of junk they don't need!

Yes, the films today ARE lousy but I don't know for sure that the percentages of good versus mediocre are that much better than they were in the 1930s and 1940s. It could be that it just appears there were more good films back then because a dollar stretched further back (inflation was nothing like it is today; nor did the government purposefully allow the money to be devalued just for the sake of trade with a few countries) and there were hundreds of movies made per year! Today, between the studios, less than 50-some major films get made and a studio's fortune can depend on one or two films to hit big because of the mega-high budgets.

What IS surely different is that you could not get The Godfather, Blazing Saddles, Jaws, and any number of classics made today because of the prevailing climate of political correctness and the pressure to put in "bling" where it doesn't belong. Jaws was infamous for all the troubles with the mechanical shark but it ended being a better, more suspenseful film for the LACK OF APPEARANCES of the shark and camera-view only. Today, the pressure or inclination would be to put a lousy CG shark in all too many frames and the film just couldn't be made the same way or feel like the final 1975 product.

It's into that '70s climate and the early period of the Fourth Wing of government (the media) that the better-known critics today got established.

And yes, the Internet does allow a lot of uncouth, heavy-breathing, boorish-beyond-words carnival freak bozos (like Harry Knowles) to flourish.

The only good thing is that the influence of these guys lasts only a couple seconds by current Internet standards. What is more lasting and damaging is the fact that critical, independent thinking isn't being taught and all too many people are being educated by rote without demonstrating one bit of common sense or ability to survive in the real world. And that's at the college level as well as public school.

Society is too tech-focused now. People can't put a thought together, many can't write or spell to save themselves. Sadder yet, typing is being stressed more at public school at the expense of traditional penmanship (cursive writing). Bunches of kids are getting out of school without knowing how to do basic math without calculators, too...

You definitely won't get great critics, let alone many historians, out of that group. And again, I stress that this trend is worldwide... It's not just the US, Britain, or other English-speaking nations. This is being seen in Asia and throughout Europe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6