• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Severing Crime Edge (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:
I like this show, but a bunch of little details annoy me about it.

I'm so sorry that spoiler[disabled people don't bungle around for your enjoyment and are actually capable of being functional human beings], which seems to offend you somehow.

???

spoiler[When did I say disabled people weren't capable human beings? I know that all too well, I know deaf people. I'm just saying the deaf people I've met who can speak can't speak that perfectly.

Blind people are also perfectly capable on their own, the perfectionist in me just wanted to see the subtle movements that a lot of blind people do to get around]

Sorry if what I said offended, but you're taking what I said in completely the wrong way
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
wouldn't the speaking thing depend on whether or not the person was born deaf or became deaf later in life?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
spoiler[I know that all too well, I know deaf people.]

Yeah, black best friend and all that. What you're basically saying is these characters don't behave incompetently enough to satisfy you, how on Earth should that not be offensive?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
As everydaygamer has already said: someone born deaf (or went deaf very young) is not going to speak perfectly while someone that went deaf due to an accident once they are older teens or beyond would retain their speaking capabilities. After getting a feel for how loud they are based on what other people tell them: they wouldn't sound off.

I'm not sure what the backstory for that character is, so I don't know which case it is, but publicenemy333 is correct for most cases and Parse Error is doing their best to be offended just to be offended.

My dad was deaf, so feel free to call me out for trying to get "enjoyment" out of disabled people.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
and Parse Error is doing their best to be offended just to be offended.

Cool story, yeah I go around being the PC police all the time. What part of what you said would I call you out for, anyway? Why is okay to say that these people should are not acting "defective" enough to be believable? I was going to edit that post and let this go to let them think it over, but now I'm getting ganged up on as the bad guy, for being upset about something that was blatantly insulting.

Last edited by Parse Error on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I agreed with publicenemy333, who you have decided goes around being offended whenever disabled people "don't bungle around for your enjoyment and are actually capable of being functional human beings."
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
I agreed with publicenemy333

Are you seriously going to pretend you cannot see any difference between the tone and implications of your post versus what they wrote?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Parse Error wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:
I like this show, but a bunch of little details annoy me about it.

I'm so sorry that spoiler[disabled people don't bungle around for your enjoyment and are actually capable of being functional human beings], which seems to offend you somehow.

???

spoiler[When did I say disabled people weren't capable human beings? I know that all too well, I know deaf people. I'm just saying the deaf people I've met who can speak can't speak that perfectly.

Blind people are also perfectly capable on their own, the perfectionist in me just wanted to see the subtle movements that a lot of blind people do to get around]

Sorry if what I said offended, but you're taking what I said in completely the wrong way

Yeah, I didn't find your post offensive at all. I felt your point was you wanted these characters to be a little more realistic, yes?
I can understand this well. I have a friend who used to be friends with a blind girl and when we watch anime together that has a not-so-accurate blind character, she's like "rawr rawr". Anime hyper

It kind of bothered me too...but asking for realism in this type of show that has very odd things as it is, may be asking for too much....Anime hyper
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
maybe typed out, I can see how my words sounded harsher than it would have sounded in my head if I said it out loud. Certain tones and implication just dont translate through text very well. I will apologize if that was the case

Quote:
After getting a feel for how loud they are based on what other people tell them: they wouldn't sound off.

That, I'll admit, I did not know. I personally haven't met any deaf people who can speak, but the ones I've heard elsewhere usually sound a bit off (to no fault of their own, I'll add). I'll own up to being wrong about that

And for the "black best friend" comment, I didn't mean that as "I know deaf people, so its okay," (and I'll admit, I've only recently been getting to know some deaf people, mostly professors, since I started learning ASL this year), I meant more that Im somewhat familiar with some of their mannerisms. It has nothing to do with them being defective people, deaf and blind people are perfectly capable human beings that dont need to be constantly babied and treated like lesser people, any one who treats them otherwise or treats them like they are some kind of spectacle for the hearing and seeing people to laugh at are jackasses (and what I typed was not about me wanting them to be a spectacle)

However, there are still certain mannerisms (which are NOT defects) that they tend to have. The fact that we dont see them that much isnt that I feel they weren't portrayed "defective enough." I just wanted to see if the animators as artists could reflect these subtle mannerisms, which do exist, as realistically as possible. I just felt we didn't see much of them. Which, hey, is fine. The entire show could on with them going on as they've been doing so and I'd be fine. I know I said earlier that it "annoys me" but I was exaggerating while making an observation. It is not absolutely essential for the purposes of the story, it just woulda been a nice touch to showoff what they animators could do

Im a guy who tries to understand everyone (without this false sense of pretending to "know" what its like to be them when I've never been in their position in life), and that goes for race, nationality, religion, sexuality, and blindness and deafness. Im not sayin Im perfect, Im still human and flawed. But Im still not the kind of person who demands that deaf or blind people in my fiction act in overly exaggerated manners that makes them seem like they are completely hopeless without their sight or hearing.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

It kind of bothered me too...but asking for realism in this type of show that has very odd things as it is, may be asking for too much....Anime hyper

Haha, true I suppose Anime hyper
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
maybe typed out, I can see how my words sounded harsher than it would have sounded in my head if I said it out loud.

I'm not sure how that's a maybe, even rereading it now that I have cooled down a bit and know you weren't deliberately being disparaging is still unpleasant. But, at least you're not trying to vilify me for feeling hurt by it, and I am an imperfect person as well who sometimes says insensitive things himself without wishing to offend anyone.

publicenemy333 wrote:
However, there are still certain mannerisms (which are NOT defects)

Not everyone views it that way. We'll leave it at that and return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am Reply with quote
@publicenemy333 - I agree with you and I didn't interpret your original comments as being offensive. Especially the deaf guy - I'm too lazy to go back and watch the eppie, but I bet there were times when he knew what she said without being able to see her lips. It seems like they wanted the surprise moment of revealing he was deaf at the expense of being credible. Not that I would expect in a show like this that they have a completely naturalistic representation of deafness, but come on.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm too lazy to go back and watch the eppie, but I bet there were times when he knew what she said without being able to see her lips.

Wasn't the reveal near the end of the episode that he'd been using his phone's voice-to-text function to see what everyone had been saying, and thus why they were able to communicate even when he wasn't looking at her?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Oops, that's my bad - totally missed that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out why he had two tuning forks among his tools. If he's using his phone and an ETD app to tune the piano, he wouldn't need the forks, and he can't really use them for anything anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 19