• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Beatboxer Covers Touhou's "Bad Apple!!"

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zalas

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Just to be more accurate, this is a cover/arrangement of Bad Apple!! from Alstroemeria Records's album Lovelight (and the compilation CD Exserens). That song is itself an arrangement of ZUN's original song from Touhou Lotus Land Story, but has a distinctively different melody and structure from the original. The Alstroemeria Records song is also the one that got viral.
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kaihatsu tackled "Bad Apple!!" a musical track from the third game of the Touhou franchise, Lotus Land Story.

No, he's doing yet another rendition ALST's crappy, overrated arrange version, not the chiptune game track itself. (They sound vastly different from each other, believe it or not.)

Also, protip to ANN: Touhou is not anime-related. If you're going to do it anyway, at least hire someone who isn't an ignorant secondary fan to write articles. This is almost as bad as the cosplay of the day (read: thinly disguised Sankaku-esque "I have awful taste and I just masturbated to this photo recently") bulletins.

How does does it feel to be going down the path of chaotic sensationalist bull like Sankaku, ANN?

(edited for for further clarification so people don't get the wrong message)

Last edited by gapgapgap on Mon May 23, 2011 6:05 am; edited 2 times in total
yuffsters

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
third game of the Touhou franchise, Lotus Land Story.

I'm pretty sure Lotus Land Story is the fourth game in the Touhou franchise.[/quote]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
(read: "I have awful taste and I just masturbated to this photo recently")

Woah, doing that to babies dressed up as Luffy... you have a sick, sick mind.

Also, use animenewsnetwork.com/news if you want news.

It completely bypasses these "interest" articles.
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
@Megiddo: My earlier comment applied towards the person who posts the cosplay articles, not me. (I'm not interested in cosplay at all.)

OK, I guess I'll add /news to my bookmarks, then.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:

Also, protip to ANN: Touhou is not anime-related. If you're going to do it anyway, at least hire someone who isn't an ignorant secondary fan to write articles. This is almost as bad as the cosplay of the day (read: "I have awful taste and I just masturbated to this photo recently") bulletins.

A lot of stuff on this site isn't anime-related; is it really a problem? Just like news about developments in US copyright policy aren't directly about anime, or news that Hatsune Miku is giving a concert at AX actually has "nothing" to do with anime, it's relevant to many anime fans' interests. But regardless, you can't expect a news source (a small one, at that) to have people who are experts in every field they report on; this isn't Wikipedia.

I do agree that ANN is getting kind of Sankakuish (although just barely), which is pretty annoying. Nothing to cry about though.
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
A lot of stuff on this site isn't anime-related; is it really a problem? Just like news about developments in US copyright policy aren't directly about anime, or news that Hatsune Miku is giving a concert at AX actually has "nothing" to do with anime, it's relevant to many anime fans' interests.

What I mean is that most of the "Special Interests" posts would be more appropriate on tumblr, not a professional news site. When I come to a news site I expect NEWS, not a site full of annoying social networking-esque "What I recently favorited on youtube" entries.

To be honest, I kind of miss the old ANN. At least it was a halfway decent news source and there weren't intrusive banner ads plastered everywhere. Meh.
Ninjaguiden

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just to be more accurate, this is a cover/arrangement of Bad Apple!! from Alstroemeria Records's album Lovelight (and the compilation CD Exserens). That song is itself an arrangement of ZUN's original song from Touhou Lotus Land Story, but has a distinctively different melody and structure from the original. The Alstroemeria Records song is also the one that got viral.

Note the polite, informative nature of this post.

Now, compare and contrast with this post:

Quote:
No, he's doing yet another rendition ALST's crappy, overrated arrange version, not the chiptune game track itself. (They sound vastly different from each other, believe it or not.)
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
Anime isn't - and shouldn't have to be - such serious business that it can't contain some fun news every now and then. It's not like professional newspapers and news programs don't have sections for material that isn't news. It's something that makes them more accessible to more people, and can be just as informative as regular news. As long as such things don't encompass everything that their service provides, I don't see a problem. You're not being forced to read it. It doesn't even appear in the RSS feed, I believe.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Dam that was awesome
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I like the viral video better.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Beat box in only good when done for comedy purposes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1