• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I wonder why anime writers never seem to understand that in Christianity Satan and Lucifer are the same dude? Granted, Lucifer was the Dark One's handle in Heaven - he only started handing out business cards with Satan on them after the Fall, but still.

Not always--"Ha-Satan" in Hebrew just means "The Opposer" and sometimes he was considered to be a distinct being from Helel (the original Hebrew name for Lucifer), I'm pretty sure. Under some interpretations "Satan" was more of a manevolent force embodying sin than an actual being.

Would it help if I unnecessarily used the word "mainstream" to describe the Christianity that holds Lucifer and Satan to be one and the same entity?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Possibly, but Christianity isn't exactly common in Japan and therefore the author just probably used the names because they sounded cool.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
Why would the names Satan and Lucifer have to have any connection to the associated religion figures? Although at least giving Lucifer some angel like wings was kind of the way to go.

I guess the name Satan is or was used in Christianity often with the horned goat like body, while Lucifer is often more used to invoke the fallen angel image.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Acquiring religious probity from anime is about as sensible as getting your science there.

Most people who call themselves devout Christians (including those who annoy me by ringing my door bell wanting to save me) don't have the slightest idea what's in the Bible. You could watch every 7th Heaven re-run and not get the slightest clue except for why condoms are important. So why would you expect anime writers to be any better?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Acquiring religious probity from anime is about as sensible as getting your science there.

Next you are going to tell me that Jesus and Budha don't live together in a tiny rented apartment in Japan.

HaruhiToy wrote:
You could watch every 7th Heaven re-run and not get the slightest clue except for why condoms are important.

That made me laugh harder than it should have, I have watched more of that show than I should have.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
It's always epic when Mao gets buff haha he'd be a good gym partner.

But yea, my guess was right, Emilia's hair turns white when she powers up. It was pretty obvious :p Alsiel's almost death scene was hilarious! "at least take advantage of the discounts they have on the first of every month" Anime hyper I wish I could hang out with these guys in real life!
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5
Great episode again!

Surprisingly, there was a new OP song. Well, okay I guess I'm not too surprised since the previous OP song just used scenes from the episodes. Anyways, it's pretty good imo. I actually thinking a lot of this Spring Season's OP/ED songs are good. (mostly opening songs anyways)

Oh I definitely feel sorry for spoiler[Emi this episode especially since he finds out that Orba sided with the enemy, Lucifer.]

spoiler[Cueball, B-Movie, B-Movie] Laughing

Anyways, great episode with the action. I thought the fight was done well even with the somewhat violence. I'm surprised though that everyone worked together well. Oh and Lucifer's defeat makes him look like some cheesy kid now. Lol, well at least spoiler[Chiho's memory] will remain intact this week :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I really loved how Maou just cut through all the BS and said what the deal was. Anime in general could use a lot more of that.

I think my two favorite lol moments were when spoiler[Emi sidestepped the shot instead of deflecting it, letting it hit Maou smack in the head], and that spoiler[Alsiel had to go home and change first so he could look fabulous enough to join the battle.]

I also got a kick out of Alsiel's poses in the OP and the literally sparkling clean skivvies. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Really good episode, and despite what the series has done so far they did not rely on it just being a slice of life where everything is forgotten to hold to its premise rigidly. No Satan seems to have made some of his thoughts quite vocal that is changing a little from being the evil one who plans to take over Earth, Chiho knows the truth and has neither been made to forget or really had her opinion change.

There was emotional parts with spoiler[Emilia being betrayed, and our two leading males being run through]. Of course there are a comedy/funny bits that are also great: Alsiel's spoiler[last words], Emilia spoiler[dodging an attack with it hitting Satan], leaving her to supposedly spoiler[get him for that]. Alsiel spoiler[leaving to get his clothes], Satan getting spoiler[serious at his frustration and asking what he should do] with spoiler[Lucifer terrified]. And lastly that bit with Chiho spoiler[getting scared when Satan entered his house while they were saying that Chiho thinks about him all the time and starts screaming], then Satan and Alsiel spoiler[start screaming too].
Arkov

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think my two favorite lol moments were when spoiler[Emi sidestepped the shot instead of deflecting it, letting it hit Maou smack in the head],

What the fudge was that?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
ep.5
spoiler[

so reveal lucifer is teaming-up with cueball priest to coup rid both of satan & emi give find it like b-movie plot so lucifer blast satan's sidekick then go beam & shoot satan.

give satan figure it all negative powers give lucifer still powered which satan teleport to crowd area get his powers-up with had team with emi & his sidekick.

while holding the bridge & keeping people all done cue clench your teeth on lucifer all good fix all damages & oh emi's pals arrive give mention church of esta isla has gone mad.

so after all set yet both satan & emi still staying in japan.
]
JR-1

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
I've had so much fun with this anime until episode 4, but after episode 5 which I found to be kinda boring I don't think I have the drive to watch more. The novelty already wears off and it has already begun to reiterate the same joke with diminishing returns. Then again, I should have expected it since this is the problem of most semi-episodic manga and light novels.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
JR-1 wrote:
The novelty already wears off and it has already begun to reiterate the same joke with diminishing returns. Then again, I should have expected it since this is the problem of most semi-episodic manga and light novels.

But, episode 5 was the game changer? Where it kind of stepped out from the "it's a secret to everybody" and we don't quite know what it might do next.
JR-1

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

But, episode 5 was the game changer? Where it kind of stepped out from the "it's a secret to everybody" and we don't quite know what it might do next.

I think it's the reverse actually, it's the game resetter. Episode 4 made a nice builtup with spoiler[Yusa trying to confront Maou why he, the reviled Demon King of Ente Isla is so nice in this another world], but at the end of the conflict in episode 5 this thread is practically unsolved. spoiler[OK, perhaps Maou explicitly claims that he doesn't want to bring trouble to this another world, but from Yusa's point of view, this shouldn't absolve what he did (or what she thinks he did) in Ente Isla]. Heck, by the end of episode 5 the only thing's different is pretty much Chiho spoiler[knows that Maou and Yusa are from another world and that doesn't even affect her viewpoint that much (she's still romantically interested in Maou)].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
While I appreciate the fact that (as I noted earlier) this show is not content to rest just on its comedy laurels, after eppie 5, I am actually ready to go back to some of the small scale, SoL comedy stuff.

Like, will Satan be named Employee of the Month???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 30