• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Arkov wrote:
But from everything that we've seen so far, it wouldn't be a 180 degree turn. The Maou/Emi (non-romantic) relationship has been progressing in such a way in that Emi is growing increasingly respectful of Maou. She's realising that he's not as bad as she thought he was, though it's a very slow, on-going realisation. There's nothing backflippy about it.

Additionally, I'm fully expecting either the Church to be directly involved with the death of Emi's parents (razed her village/killed her father so that she would fight for them) or that they're indirectly involved (the Church started the war/provoked Maou into invading the islands).

Pure speculation, of course, though those are two potential scenarios that I feel would justify Emi being able to develop a romantic relationship with Maou, or at least no longer harbour any resentment toward him.

I was responding to information given by trescaballeros that the staff had been downplaying Maou and Emi's chemistry on purpose because they like Chiho too much. Which means that in LN there was some romantic interest between them early in the story and if it is true, it would be a backflip. Now that the staff downplayed Maou and Emi's chemistry in the anime, I agree it is not anymore.

-----------------------------
Honestly, I don't like the idea of Maou&Emi either way. If the second season is about them and turns into a romantic comedy (I dislike romantic comedies), I will not watch it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I was dreading this, this show has been so entertaining that I was not looking forward to it ending, but the episode was not really sad at all. It did try and trick the audience that it was going to do something along the lines of have them go back, but I quickly saw them as spoiler[a dream or simply misleading dialogue]. Just something random, but I thought the way that Satan spoiler[threw the angel through the portal was funny, but it seems that it did not get rid of him, though perhaps interacting with the manager] will have a positive effect on him.

Oh, and I do see that there has become some room that Emilia can start to forgive Satan. I have said before that I mostly support Chiho and him, I still do, but I do think that what was done in the episode has started to make them a credible pairing. My opinion on the issue is that I am glad that they removed a lot of the romantic moments that may have been in the novel, in favour of Chiho. But I hold that opinion because they should have more respect for Emilia and Satan than a pandering standard enemies to lovers bit, and I do think the last episode did a fine job of starting to bridge the gap between the two of them. How things are done in the original are not always best, and I do think that the last episode was proof that the staff do have respect for Emilia's character.

But I am still a Chiho fan, we did get a shot of her doing archery, something we had only seen in like the OP up till now. It has left me feeling that they have left out parts of her character, like does does her father's job affect her. I felt a little sad at the ED being different from the standard Chiho one, but it was goo.

This and Youth Romantic Comedy were my favourites this season, probably in that they felt like they did something a little different, something smart. I will rate this series as... probably Excellent, as it is indeed an excellent anime, and I hope to be able to buy it and have another season, I think that if it manages to get my emotions it mind end up as a masterpiece.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Chiho and Emilia's dreams were kinda LOL
Guess both of them have subconscious fears.
Looks like their troubles were far from over.
That Emilia is always so suspicious...
It really is a hard life for Ashiya and Maou.
Their own blunders certainly make their lives interesting.
It would be fun to watch a 2nd season of this ^^
Judging by the unfinished feeling the final episode gives, there is probably gonna be another season.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
That was a nice ending. Very sweet. It was nice seeing Emi helping them and returning the favor to Maou, umbrella-wise. A lovely show with some incredibly awesome timing. I will miss those laughs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
All I know is, Greenland better watch itself next season. That was foreshadowing if I ever saw it. Wink

Also, Alsiel's reaction to learning the truth was definitely laying even more foundation for the idea that things are not as we've been told back on Ente Isla.

I forget, what is Chiho's father's job?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

He's a police officer, right? o.o
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

He's a police officer, right? o.o

yeah they mentioned in a previous episode that he was the officer maou hypnotized in the first episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, now I remember. Very Happy
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yeah, in Chiho's dream, was Mr. Satan a little more more than usual? More ripped and defined than even kaioken Goku? She definitely has a type, doesn't she?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
^
Yes, his demonic form was a bit more ripped than usual; those abs were insane.

Maou has ruined Chiho for other men. After seeing his muscles in his demonic form, she now can't settle for anyone less than a heavyweight boxer or bodybuilder. Poor girl.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It is how I knew it spoiler[was a dream] at a glance.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Aw. I'm going to miss this show. The last episode was great, as were all the other episodes. Gave it an Excellent, but it is very close to being a masterpiece so I might end up amending my score one day. I'm really hoping that this will get a second season.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, Alsiel's reaction to learning the truth was definitely laying even more foundation for the idea that things are not as we've been told back on Ente Isla.

His reaction when he realised that spoiler[he worked for a company that scammed people] was hilarious Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am Reply with quote
I'm rating this show Most Excellent. It's funny to think back how I wasn't all that keen on the first eppie because the first half was kind of serious and even the second half didn't have the kind of laughs I was expecting. But it sure picked up after that and never looked back. I found the humour consistently well-done and there was some decent story-telling chops on display, too.

I too want a second season, but there is that trepidation over whether they'd be able to match the awesomeness of the first.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Yup, an Excellent for me as well. Loved every minute of this show. would love to see where a second season would end up taking us.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Maou has ruined Chiho for other men. After seeing his muscles in his demonic form, she now can't settle for anyone less than a heavyweight boxer or bodybuilder. Poor girl.

Hahaha Anime hyper

..........ironically though, it was his skinny, little human form she fell for first..... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30