• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) Devil Is A Part-Timer! (TV)
Season 02: (The) Devil Is A Part-Timer!! (TV 2)
Season 03: (The) Devil Is A Part-Timer!! (TV 3)

Source: Light Novels (completed @ 30 volumes, written by Satoshi Wagahara, illustrated by 029 (Oniku))

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Season 01: White Fox
Season 02: Studio 3Hz
Season 03: Studio 3Hz

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy, romance, slice of life

Themes: demons, isekai, mythology, workplace

Plot Summary: In another dimension the Devil King Sadao is only one step away from conquering the world when he is beaten by Hero Emilia and forced to drift to the other world: modern-day Tokyo. As "conquering the world" are the only skills the Devil King possesses - and are obviously unnecessary in his new situation - he must work as a freeter to pay for his living expenses.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 4, 2013 (Thursday)
Available on: FUNimation, Hulu, Netflix, Tubi

Season 02: July 14, 2022 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 03: July 13, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 13 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes
Season 03: Pending

Total: 25 episodes
----------------------------------

Episode 1
I just finished watching this and thought was kinda amusing. I see some similarities with Maoyu with the humor. Otherwise, the episode started with a "serious atmosphere" but later had a lot of comedy.

Yusa was funny to watch even at that place he was working at. It doesn't seem to be a job that can earn him a lot of income though. I also think he has an admirer who works besides him. Otherwise, fun episode beginning so far but the end of the episode sure doesn't seem fun to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
the first 3-4 mins are epic, then wtf.
Atleast they explained how they can stay in Japan and find work unike some anime, alien were able to stay in Japan without any residence establishment.
Ghost10516

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I found this quite amusing because it gives a very realistic twist to an otherwise fantasy genre anime.

Maou-sama is hilarious in his antics working at MgRonalds and Alsiel is super busy keeping up with all of the chores.

The end where he realized spoiler[the girl was the hero was kind of predictable, but funny as well.]

I loved the clever references inputted like spoiler[Harry Potter and Supersize Me.]

Next episode shows spoiler[the hero will stay at the demon king's place]. Can't wait for that!

Overall, pretty good way to start off the anime. looking forward to more.

Score: 8/10
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
Heh, heh. This could be a fun comedy anime for me. Maoh taking his job at a fast-food restaurant so seriously despite his status as all-powerful demon king had me cracking up in laughter quite a bit throughout the episode, alongside he and his partner's efforts at learning about their new life on Earth. The preview hinting at spoiler[the hero staying at his apartment] has some fun potential for next week. Looking forward to seeing more of this in the weeks to come! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
I also liked how it went from a serious anime to a lighthearted one. I loved the references to spoiler[Harry Potter and Super size me.] I also loved how it explained how they got accustomed to living in Japan normally.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I definitely had fun with this, demon lords seem to be hot right now. It started off very fantasy and serious, something that could probably stand as series setting in its own right, but then suddenly changing it to being more comedy and set in reality. I actually enjoyed the shift, spoiler[Alsiel trying to use magic, and later seen eating the food that Maou (Satan) did not seem to care about].

It seems that he will likely end up changing from overlord and conqueror, into being an alright guy. Him doing things like lending his umbrella to comforting his workmate, make it look like he is already part way there. I totally did not see it coming that the spoiler[girl he talked to would turn out to be the hero], but that is a cool twist. I enjoy a bunch of the characters, the young Maou, light haired Alsiel, the adorkable workmate, tough looking manager, and likely the spoiler[hero (heroine).]

Interested in where they go from here. Oh, the how they got where they are was good too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 am Reply with quote
It took me a while to warm up to the first episode, but by the end I was on board. Seems like this will be a fun series. Really looking forward to spoiler[Emilia the Hero moving in with the lads.]
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
Even after reading the synopsis of the show, I found myself chuckling more than I thought I would, especially the brief but tense music where spoiler[Maou was thinking about using some of his remaining magic to cook the fries] Smile. What struck me first was the ridiculously well-animated introduction. It looks like they put a lot of polish into this episode. The premise gives room for plenty of funny gags, though I hope they don't burn out after the first few eps before "moving on" to the real-life stuff. I hate it when shows do that; they start with a great premise and feed upon it, but by the end of the show it's like they forgot what it was all about.

Anyway, I enjoyed this first episode very much and hope it'll keep making interesting scenarios.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, didn't the ending of Eppie 1 make the title of this series spoiler[inaccurate?]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
The beginning looked very promising.
It's a shame they didn't continue with that theme.
We'll see if putting them into spoiler[human world] will be interesting.
Somehow, it still got me glued to the screen.
spoiler[Maou really became his polar opposite]... how pathetic ^^"
This is actually pretty good. Think I'll be watching it!
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The part with the fries was honestly one of the funnier moments in anime recently for me. Just the whole agony over it cracked me up.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 1

I didn't expect Maoh to be so adorable! >///<
Look at him get so worked up about his spoiler[black-peppered fries]~ Alsiel kinda cool too as well as Maou's boss lady.

The show did a great job setting up the situation as to why and how the two demons arrived to Japan, how they lost their powers, coping with modern day city life (they went to a freaking real-estate agency for crying out loud!), and, ultimately, scoring a spoiler[full-time?] job at McDonalds.

Must continue~
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
I thought this was hilarious lol I especially enjoyed their reactions when Mao was able to successfully communicate. "DID YOU EXPECT ANYTHING LESS?!!" Anime hyper Definitely gunna keep watching. Love the concept of him going from a near god to a permanent fast-food employee
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
oh my the only reaction to say on it all yep “the mighty maou-same has fallen & now working in a mcdonalds”.

spoiler[
yea maou-sama ruling a lot til hero arrive cue him & sidekick travel to modern japan with weird language, low on magic, etc now live as normal people.

even more maou-sama working in a “mcdonalds” indeed how the mighty has fallen & yikes maou-sama got face hero in japan yet the hero is a WOMAN?!
]

overall this could quite the ha i need to see.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote
This seems as though it will be one of those shows that's very entertaining but ends up making everyone depressed when it sells like crap. I was surprised at how well it handled covering any potential plotholes, even though it often had to cram in the explanations artificially to reach the right point in the story at which to end the episode. Looks like there will even be a bit of ecchi next week, on top of the crazy premise and good production values, so this one should be a pleasant watch for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 30