• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV)
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 2 (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: school, school club, school life, social psychology

Plot Summary: Hachiman Hikigaya is an antisocial high school student with no friends or girlfriend and as a result has a distorted view on life. When he sees his classmates talking excitedly about their adolescent lives, he mutters, "They're a bunch of liars." When he is asked about his future dreams, he responds, "Not working." A teacher gets Hachiman to join the volunteer "service club," which happens to have the school's prettiest girl - Yukino Yukinoshita.
----------------------------------

Episode 1

Lol, the sensei is so cool and badass. Anyways, I thought the first episode was a decent start. The main protagonist has this weird look on his face almost the whole time with antenna hair. He also thinks a lot as well about his school life.

I think the main protagonist's name is Hikki and the main female protagonist is named Yukinoshita. Anyways, it was kinda funny to see the two interact. They don't seem to match too well though. But ya, overall I enjoyed the first episode and looking forward to more!

spoiler[Lol @ the chocolate]. Kinda cute I guess.

[EDIT: Renamed the title to match what's in the Encyc., now. -TK]

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
These animes with long titles are becoming a trend. No, they are a trend. I still can't really agree with it though. I mean what kind of title ends in a dot? It's supposed to be a title, not a goddamn sentence. Thankfully these oddly named animes also usually have an abbreviation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
These animes with long titles are becoming a trend. No, they are a trend. I still can't really agree with it though. I mean what kind of title ends in a dot? It's supposed to be a title, not a goddamn sentence. Thankfully these oddly named animes also usually have an abbreviation.

They're almost assuredly light novel adaptations.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
This felt like a mesh up of Haganai and MM! without the ecchi parts. This has a friendless delinquent looking guy, a friendless popular girl, and a club that is there to help other people. I expect good stuff from this serious, but I doubt it matches Haganai's brilliance.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Haganai briliance, huh...

There is one big differnce between these two. Haganai is about harem antics, whole that stuff about "not having friends" were unimportant background statement without actual merit. I liked it, but as generic above average harem comedy.

OreGairu in otherhand is about people who have actual issues, and where these are plot points.

For me later wins big times.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

yeah, this definitely gets some comparison to Haganai, although this show seems to earn a lot of points for avoiding ecchi characteristics, and seeming to have less of a harem vibe.

Honestly I was a little annoyed by the first episode, he has fallen into pitfalls before with the friend or relationship thing, and he has to deal with a teacher who acts as if his opinion is so bad. And then he is forced to interact with a girl who treats him like he is some criminal, a girl who seems to be upset over people judging overs over their appearance, but does so to him. Acting like she is some victim that she had a hard time because she is smart and pretty and thus separate from others. She claims to want to help him, and she thinks she has by just talking to him, but what right does she have criticise him and say he needs changing.

Perhaps I am getting a little into it. But I think that is one aspect I rather like about this, it is clear that both Hachiman and Yukino are flawed, they are unsociable, they can say some harsh things, they think they know best. Some actual growth of these characters sounds tantalizing. Then there is that Yui girl, the fact she was wrong in the way she was treating the male lead actually sounds pretty good as it looks like there is already some change. Although I am not a fan of that word being used, I kind of like how he kept calling her it, I thought that it said quite a bit about his own character and her with her reactions. I was not entirely happy with how she seemed to focus onto Yukino, maybe I just thought it was kind of sad she was getting a friend over him who it is clear is actually looking for one.

I plan to watch more.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:

OreGairu in otherhand is about people who have actual issues, and where these are plot points.

So it's Kokoro Connect? I see the image on top and all I can see is another bland harem. I'll keep a closer eye then if this does actually manage to go beyond that.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
Haganai briliance, huh...

There is one big differnce between these two. Haganai is about harem antics, whole that stuff about "not having friends" were unimportant background statement without actual merit. I liked it, but as generic above average harem comedy.

For me later wins big times.

I don't know what you watched but Haganai was pretty much an anti harem. There was nothing generic about it. Kodaka is definitely one of the better MHL I have seen.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I think you are right we probably watched different anime of same name. That one I watched had archetypical characters including token loli, oujou, bitch (no offense intended), little sister, glasses girl who double as third love option, reverse trap and protagonist who isn't exactly proactive. All standart props without any obvious effort subvert them (except Rika and ¨maybe Kodaka (not realy))

And yes, Kodaka had some reasons for being like that, but that doesn't make it original anime. It was fun. Funier than most, but still generic harem that is best watch with disconnected brain.

Megiddo wrote:
tenzen12 wrote:

So it's Kokoro Connect? I see the image on top and all I can see is another bland harem. I'll keep a closer eye then if this does actually manage to go beyond that.

More like Bakemonogatari but Kokoro connect isn't bad comparison either. I would recommend you read manga as anime downplayed some aspects (it's only four chapters so no big waste of time). It might turn into bland harem later but in it's core it's far from that.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree that, from the first episode anyway, this is unlike Haganai in that takes its premise a bit more seriously. These aren't quirky characters who don't have friends just because the story thought it would be funnier if they didn't, but instead deeply misanthropic characters who have their personal philosophies and flaws pushed to the front and center of the story.

This isn't to say it's not a comedy too, but the comedy revolves more around their situation itself than "harem antics".
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the industry has responded to people becoming jaded with the way they presented romantic comedies by just making the main characters jaded.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
I found this to be extremely dull and generic. I almost fell asleep watching this because it was so damn boring and predictable. The only reason I stayed awake was because the entire time I was watching this, I was trying to figure out what anime character Yukino reminded me of. Only until the cooking scene did I realize that Yukino didn't remind me of any one character. She reminded me of every single smart beauty in just about every high school romantic comedy ever made. Too generic for my taste :p
I'll watch another episode, just because it did give off a clear Haganai feel, but if it doesn't improve, then it's dropped. Hope it does get better though
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
too much talking but I like the idea of the show and where it is going. I'll keep watching
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
There's only promise in this anime if he ends up with the redhead. Just saying...
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
There's only promise in this anime if he ends up with the redhead. Just saying...

Hmm? I'd say there's only promise if he ends up with no one because it ends up not being a romantic comedy love triangle thing where we even care "who he ends up with".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19