• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
EPISODE 8

Ignatz wrote:
spoiler["Shin sekai no Kami ni naru."]

Am I the only one who immediately thought about Death Note? Very Happy

This episode actually borrowed a lot of Tetsuro Araki/Osamu Dezaki's visual tricks (split-screen, speed lines over stills, imagery fading into paintings)...

It was kinda surreal.

Also, random excuse to get everyone into spoiler[swimsuits and long-hair girl's insecurity over chest size...]

I should be complaining about this stuff, but... I'll allow it >_>

Also:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/dklreviews/ScreenShot2013-05-30at115340AM_zps489a46bc.png

EDIT:

Just finished it... wow, this episode was like hella scumbag during the spoiler[test of courage] lol
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9

That was an interesting monologue. Hikki is disappointed at Yukino for not living up to his expectations. spoiler[ He respected her as a person who wouldn't lie and was true to herself. But she has been lying to him since the beginning when she said she did not know him. Now he hates a part of himself for refusing to believe that she can lie].

Hikki is so good at interrupting people. He probably prevented spoiler[Yui's confession and Yukino's apology.] I found it funny that Yui had to introduce that Sagaya girl to Hikki and vice versa, despite all of them being from the same class. Looks like the new girl will be trouble in a future episode based on that smirk.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9
Hachiman, Hachiman, Hachiman. This guy is one of my favorite MC this season so far now, and possibly of the year.

Lol @ the way spoiler[Hachiman's sister is baiting him to go to the fireworks with Yui.] I can tell he is somewhat reluctant to go at first but oh well, you can't win against two girls can you? Razz Otherwise, I like Yui's outfit for the spoiler[fireworks festival] this episode. She looked kawaiiiii

Oh the spoiler[train scene] was cute too.

spoiler[Regarding the festival, I think Hachiman only wanted to go for her friend as he even wanted to conceal himself in the background when Yui met her friends there. Great episode and another terrific monologue from Hachiman once again even if it was voicing out disappointment. As regarding one of Yui's friends, yes she might be an antagonist of sorts based on that grin. Hehehehe]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amylian208

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
This isn't to say it's not a comedy too, but the comedy revolves more around their situation itself than "harem antics". I think this is very significative for the young.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Nothing bad or that depressing this episode. Hachiman is great, he looked after Yui's dog, I laughed as the app spoiler[translated its barks as wanting to play, and then Hachiman's bark not wanting to work]. His sister was also good kind of making that slip about Yui spoiler[meeting their parents], and strongly forcing Hachiman to spoiler[go to the fireworks in a date setting]. One thing I find interesting is that Hachiman often ends up looking really dense, but I think that he really averts it when he internally mentions exactly what the situation looks, and then brings back his past experience to show the reasoning of his actions.

I might bring up a few thoughts of the interactions that I am wondering about. It looked like Hachiman might to some degree hold a spoiler[grudge to Yukino for the accident], this is based on the fact that he spoiler[denied it so much, and that he put on that fake smile] while doing so. Yukino's relationship with her Haruno seems to have been explained a bit too, it appears to me that Yukino may have tried to meet her spoiler[parent's expectations by copying her sister, which may have caused friction. My guess is that it caused Haruno to continuously try to outdo Yukino to prevent herself from feeling inferior to her younger sister, which is why Haruno is so fake smile, and Yukino frustrated of being the inferior one until she became inwards].

Back onto Yui and Hachiman, it seems that fireworks festival dates are all the rage at the moment. He is telling himself that it is spoiler[not a date so that he won't get disappointed], Yui did seem to catch on that he was feeling down from the spoiler[confrontation with their classmate where he was being judged]. But at the same time he handled his decision very well in showing that he did not blame her for what happened, and in some way wants to spend time with him. But Hachiman also seems to spoiler[sabotaged in things going smoothly, that it looked like Yui was going to confess but cut off, and he cut off what was looking like an apology from Yukino]. I do wonder if he did so subconsciously.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
EP 10

Yup the new girl was trouble after all. The tension in this episode was thick. But the good thing about this anime is the drama does not feel forced at all. Also what was the deal with Haruno in this episode. She acted spoiler[like a b**ch. Was she really that afraid her younger sister would one up her? In episode 9, it seemed like Haruno actually cared about Yukino since she was worried about Yukino's previous friends rejecting her out of jealously. But then she does a 180 and goes against Yukino in this episode....]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls,

(EP 10 stuff below)

I thought the same thing about Haruno in EP 9. However... spoiler[while I am still not sure of this, it seems to me that she acted the way she did in order to get Hachiman and Yui to accept her words. By implying she was motivated by caring for her little sister, it would defuse their natural resistance to what she was saying *about* Yukino, and generally lower their wariness around her, too. In short, it was an attempt at obfuscation and deception. Yui might have bought into it, but I don't think that Hachiman did.]

However, in Ep 10, spoiler[we see that Haruno is pretty spiteful towards Yukino. She says that Yukino merely wants to match her sister, but Yukino didn't even want to be chairman of the festival (which seems to have surprised Haruno). Haruno is trying to shape how people interpret Yukino's actions, and do so in a way that diminishes Yukino's individuality in the eyes of others. I am certain Hachiman saw this due to the expression on his face at the time. Yui seemed to have understood some of what was going on subconsciously (at least with the actual chairman's actions), but I don't think she gets it consciously... at least not very clearly.]

As far as Hachiman and Yukino goes, spoiler[ Hachiman is angry. Because Yukino disappointed him, he is angry with himself for setting up an image of Yukino that turned out to be false. He feels duped, but that he duped himself, which only makes it worse. He is also angry at Yukino herself, but I would guess this is much weaker. I did notice that when Hachiman said what he did at the festival committee meeting, and Yukino agreed with him and said she was sorry, that that sorry was actually directed at Hachiman over what had happened regarding her not telling him about being in the car. I *think* Hachiman took it as such, but am not sure.]

It was a pretty good episode. I like the way that some things are said without actually being spoken. The dynamic between Hachiman and Yukino is pretty interesting, IMO.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
That makes sense.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

So much bi**hing. First Hachiman gets spoiler[volunteered for the festival committee], which is really his own fault in multiple ways, but then there is the girl from the previous episode, Sagami, who tries to spoiler[volunteer Yui to be the female rep]. The act was obviously an attempt embarrass her in saying she like Hachiman, and knowing spoiler[Yui she is not quite able to refuse someone], luckily someone else was able to say no for her, and in a sort of deserving right Sagami gets spoiler[volunteered], seems she likes to look good in front of people.

The drama gets stronger as Yukino, also in the committee almost gets volunteered as chairman, I think it was likely student president who was generally nice but tripping of all sorts of social land mines, Yukino was able to say no and sited that she is not her sister. Sagami for some reason spoiler[volunteers herself], again it seems to look good, but then she ends up getting Yukino to do almost all the work, largely in that Yukino is actually pretty spoiler[good at doing such work]. And then the girl who I assumed is the student president made a huge mistake, she spoiler[brought Haruno in].

spoiler[Haruno's] actions her speak much louder than the sugar coated words in the previous episode, it seems very likely that she does not want to be spoiler[outdone by Yukino, and she allows Sagami's, which was an obvious sabotage of the festival]. Although knowing Hachiman, he probably was not fooled earlier.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I realize the show probably wants us to think there's something deep about Haruno's approach to Yukino, but... they're siblings. How much motivation would an older sibling need to screw with a younger one?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I realize the show probably wants us to think there's something deep about Haruno's approach to Yukino, but... they're siblings. How much motivation would an older sibling need to screw with a younger one?

Uh... that's... really... not very commonplace. I never, ever, tried to sabotage my (younger) sister. That's not to say that we didn't fight when we were growing up, but that sort of stuff stayed in the family and never outside of it... and even then, we didn't fight very often, nor was it anything like what Haruno is doing to Yukino.

So, IMO, whatever her motivation is, it's not *normal* for her to be treating Yukino that way. Heck, Haruno is not even in high school anymore. And look at how Hachiman treats *his* little sister. Not the same at all.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Little random fact here. The sign above the door for the service club gets a new sticker every episode
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
EP 11

So Haruno spoiler[was on Yukino's side after all ,if I am not mistaken.]. I think the highlight of the episode was Yukino waving goodbye.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
I admit spoiler[Yukino waving at Hikigaya was cute and unexpected] but I still want him to be with Yui. It was a good episode.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
It was indeed a good episode. In fact, I think it was the best episode thus far, and I enjoyed it a lot. The room full of girls squealing while watching the play was funny. Hachiman's analysis of the written character "human" - and his subsequent extrapolation to talk about the lack of co-operation amongst committee members - was insightful. He possesses an impressive amount of courage and conviction. Seeing the lazy and b*tchy chairwoman get humiliated was satisfying. The way she sat alone in the classroom as everyone else was busy with their work was a great visual shot, and her fluffing the speech was just perfect. Public speaking is hard, but it was obvious she hadn't bothered to prepare properly for the speech, so she deserved to be embarrassed. I hope she grows as a person rather than takes it out on Yukino. Speaking of Yukino, she softened a little. She was cute when she smiled and waved goodbye to Hachiman. Plus she looked very lovely in her casual clothes:

Her personality leaves a lot to be desired, but she's quite fetching in that outfit. I love it when long-haired girls wear scrunchies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 19