• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Actualy I wouldn't mind if he got girl in the end, but I can't imagine how it should be done without destroying whole show as it stand right now.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Probably due to it just having ended and the female leads being somewhat similar, it gave me a strong OreShura vibe. I don't really mind these shows being generic because it gives them the chance to polish certain aspects for greater efficiency at pushing the right buttons, while perhaps taking some of them to the next level. However, so far this one doesn't appear to be aiming for anything greater than lightly brushing the bar while it's still set at the same height its recent predecessors managed, but this episode barely had enough energy to make it off the ground. Some more characters are obviously on the way so there may still be some hope yet, but if they're anywhere near as uninspired as what's already there, I'm going to be letting this one go in a hurry.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The more reviews I read of this series the more I'm starting to think it's some kind of inkblot test for the viewer. You can either relate to the characters and if not respect them at least see where they're coming from, or... you just can't and write them off as incredibly shallow. Frankly I find it bizarre how stark this divide is. Perhaps because most people agree that the show doesn't really have anything else going for it.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Probably due to it just having ended and the female leads being somewhat similar, it gave me a strong OreShura vibe. I don't really mind these shows being generic because it gives them the chance to polish certain aspects for greater efficiency at pushing the right buttons, while perhaps taking some of them to the next level. However, so far this one doesn't appear to be aiming for anything greater than lightly brushing the bar while it's still set at the same height its recent predecessors managed, but this episode barely had enough energy to make it off the ground. Some more characters are obviously on the way so there may still be some hope yet, but if they're anywhere near as uninspired as what's already there, I'm going to be letting this one go in a hurry.

Except both of them being "Cool beuty" there is nothing much common between them. They are more like... polar oposite.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 1
=======

Halfway through I was already giving the show nods for its snappy writing and at the end I was really happy with how great that writing was. It's quick, fun, has meaning and really carries the show in an excellent way.

The characters are great too and I LOVE watching 'Hikki' and Cynical club girl interact (I'm really awful about learning names in first episodes, sorry).

So, will this be a kind of 'adventure of the week' thing with the club?

Either way, I'm in.

The animation kind of reminded me of a lesser KyoAni mixed with CLAMP. This is what...Brain's Base? Aside from Kure-nai, I'm not too familiar with their work...either way, I like it.

I'm in and looking forward to next week.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
They are more like... polar oposite.

So the "polar opposite" of a gorgeous, intelligent, arrogant girl who feels cursed with beauty, is supposed to be another gorgeous, intelligent, arrogant girl who feels cursed with beauty? I do not believe that is how polar opposites work.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am quite sure I said: ASIDE OF BEING "COOL BEUTY" (means your description) If you can't see behind that you missed whole deal with their characterization.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
If you can't see behind that you missed whole deal with their characterization.

That is their characterization. She might get fleshed out more later on, but it's only been one episode, and so far the only significant differences between the two characters are their hair color and initial interactions with the male lead. No matter how strongly you disagree with that, it's still contradictory to claim they're polar opposites even while admitting they're two instances of the same archetype.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for confirming. You realy missed that.

Masuzu defining traits are: She is liar, she always hiding herself behind numerous layers of lies.

Yuki never lies, she is brutaly honest and never back off.

Masuzu is drived by jelousy and will try drag anyone happier than her into mud, where she is.

Yuki tries change all people around her to become better person and ultimately create ideal world where everyone is happy.

See, polar oposite. Their motives that drive whole their being is diametrically opposed, so she can become happy herself. Conclusion: Masuzu is more similiar to Hiki than Yuki.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
Yuki never lies, she is brutaly honest and never back off.

tenzen12 wrote:
Yuki tries change all people around her to become better person and ultimately create ideal world where everyone is happy.

So, she's such a shallow character that we should know all about what she always and never does and why she does so, based on one episode? In that case, you might be onto something, as Masuzu had far greater depth and complexity than that. Of course I would have missed it if this is true, because I would have never expected any writer to be quite that lazy and unimaginative.

tenzen12 wrote:
See, polar oposite.

No, that's still false and always will be. If they were polar opposites, one of them would have to be ugly, stupid, and meek, among other things.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
If Yuki is only such swalow person will be decided in another eleven episodes. But Masuzu can be (more or less) described by mere these two lines.

Quote:
No, that's still false and always will be. If they were polar opposites, one of them would have to be ugly, stupid, and meek, among other things.

I guess sophistry is well suited for this kind of show.

Last edited by tenzen12 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
If Yuki is only such swalow person will be decided in another eleven episodes.

Yet you're claiming it already has been decided, and that I just didn't notice. All I was getting at originally was that she vaguely reminded me of Masuzu, which should be understandable given that outwardly they're roughly the same basic character type. Somehow you're able to acknowledge that fact even while still insisting that I'm completely wrong about it and they're nothing alike. Unless this is some silly little game of rusemanship, I don't get it.

tenzen12 wrote:
I guess sophistry is well suited for this kind of show.

So now it's sophistry to demonstrate that you're clearly wrong on a simple point of fact? Yeah, I've definitely been feeding a troll here.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Outwardly they're the same archetype, inwardly they're not. Is this really so hard to understand? Maybe it's bad writing to have the character blurt out their life philosophy in the first episode (although I wouldn't say so, since it's basically the premise of the conflict), but it's still kind of obvious where the differences lie?

Now I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before with my "inkblot" analogy, but after coming this far with an admittedly antagonist conversation it's pretty clear that you never gave this show a chance to try to define its own characters. Because, well, she blurts out her life philosophy in the first episode and you still don't get it. And people are trying to explain it to you and you still don't get it. Heck, her entire "I'm too beautiful it's a curse" thing was a joke, as evident by Hiki's disgusted sigh near the beginning. It wasn't really the important part other than to lead up to her greater point that she has impossibly high standards for everyone, including herself.

Now, is she any deeper than that or just a one-note character? I don't know, I've only seen one episode. But as a starting place, I don't think it's particularly bad. There's likely more to it, if only in the form of a dramatic flashback we'll see at some point that gave her this attitude, but the main point as of episode 1 was simply to set her up as an idealist equal yet opposite to Hiki. Equal in the sense that both of their philosophies stand in the way of them having friends.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Outwardly they're the same archetype, inwardly they're not. Is this really so hard to understand?
And people are trying to explain it to you and you still don't get it.

The only thing I'm not getting is why I keep replying to people who are obviously just upset because I didn't heap glowing praise on the show they like, and aren't bothering to read anything I post except for what's convenient for stuffing their strawmen. Why do you assume that I don't already understand that they have different internal motives? Why else would I have alluded to the very distinction I'm supposedly unable to comprehend?

What I'm being criticized for saying is that these two characters seemed, in my exact words, "somewhat similar" to me. How does that mean they must have exactly the same motives? How does mentioning one reminds me of the other magically mean that I'm too stupid to understand both the show and what you and tenzen12 are trying to explain? You two claim that I just don't get it, but at the same time, you're not really making any case for how what I said was incorrect. One episode doesn't tell me much about underlying motives, even if they're stated, because characters can do things such as pretending and lying. In terms of outward personality, basic character type, and role, they are not noticeably different to me at this point.

And seriously, mentioning it gave me an OreShura vibe because of that, somehow means I never even gave the show a fair chance? What are you people smoking in here, would you mind letting me have a few tokes of it?

Last edited by Parse Error on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:51 am; edited 3 times in total
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
They don't have "somehow" different motives but completely different. But as long as you understood, there is no problem.

Also any similiarity with OreShura (or Haganai when we are on it) is only superficial. It has different focus and aproach. To be frank Oregairu would fail miserably as silly gag driven harem. It wouldn't be funny enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 19