• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
In the first season, he clearly cuts Yui off when she wants to start something (end of episode 9), and does so in a way that doesn't really involve any kind of response from him. He definitely knows what's up, and his criticism of how someone might "misunderstand" is his typical approach to relationships (through abstraction away from himself on a personal level).
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, exactly as Yttrbio says. You can't read his commentary "straight-up". You have to interpret what he means. If he'd only said "a male teenager could interpret this the wrong way" once, then I would agree with you, DP, but he says it *repeatedly*, and usually accompanied with an undertone. He knows what she is doing and *chooses* to interpret her actions "correctly" (as in, non-flirty/non-romantically) in order to allow her to save face and not hurt her feelings, while at the same time keeping her distanced from him (that's what he's really saying in his internal monologue). I'm pretty sure Yui is aware of this but is stubbornly still trying. I *know* that Yukino knows what he is doing, and so does his advisor.

Remember: Hatchiman is the opposite of the clueless male lead. He is *too* clued in. I think that he feels that if he does let someone get close to him, not only may he be hurt, but *they* might be hurt, and he doesn't want to hurt anyone he cares about. The more he cares about them, the more determined he is not to let them get close. Hatchiman is actually a very kind guy in his own way, which is one of the reasons his advisor is so determined to get him to let people get close to him.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Remember: Hatchiman is the opposite of the clueless male lead. He is *too* clued in.

Is it possible that he is also gay and doesn't realize it?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, he certainly seems to be taken with that dude who's always wearing shorts.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Everyone's gay for Totsuka so no, I don't think he is. If it weren't played for a very tired joke, I would probably suspect him of being bi.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
My take on Hachiman is nowhere near as positive as Tuor's, though. They lead off the season with a reminder that he tells himself he doesn't even count when it comes to getting hurt. I think his whole self-abstraction thing is a defense mechanism from being hurt in the past, and him being "kind" is a consequence of that, not a motivation for it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, whichever way you slice it, it's tedious. Just get laid, Hachiman!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
They are high school students, they are not supposed to get laid. They are supposed to date occasionally, hold hands and maybe swap a little spit. Then they go to college and break up.

There would probably be a different outcome here. They would go further. However the bit about breaking up when one or both goes to college is universal. High school romance is almost always transient. That is why they are in such a hurry and so emotionally intense about it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
They are high school students, they are not supposed to get laid. They are supposed to date occasionally, hold hands and maybe swap a little spit. Then they go to college and break up.

Is this just speaking anime romances in general or real life? Cause i remember high school being a sex dungeon. Kids are so horny these days. Nothing is sacred Crying or Very sad

Glad the show is back and loving Hachiman as always. Totsuka for best love interest. I think this is the first time the lead has had the hots for the trap and not the other girls even though they are interested in him. Normally that would annoy me.................(questions sexuality).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime romances. I'm not sure how that mirrors real Japanese teenagers. I will say that I doubt that anyone who expresses fondness for 2D girls has ever had a relationship with a 3D one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Remember: Hatchiman is the opposite of the clueless male lead. He is *too* clued in. I think that he feels that if he does let someone get close to him, not only may he be hurt, but *they* might be hurt, and he doesn't want to hurt anyone he cares about. The more he cares about them, the more determined he is not to let them get close. Hatchiman is actually a very kind guy in his own way, which is one of the reasons his advisor is so determined to get him to let people get close to him.

What? He totally wants to have people close to him, which has had him twice ask Yukino to be his friend, something he has done no doubt because he feels that they are both people quite jaded about people. But Yukino has turned him down both times, perhaps because she could see that it might be disruptive.

If he is sabotaging possible romance between himself and Yui, I think that it is subconscious, that he is continuously afraid of being disappointed that he stops it first. I really don't think he is letting himself consider the possibility. He previously accused her of only being nice because she was feeling guilty.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What? He totally wants to have people close to him, which has had him twice ask Yukino to be his friend, something he has done no doubt because he feels that they are both people quite jaded about people. But Yukino has turned him down both times, perhaps because she could see that it might be disruptive.

If he is sabotaging possible romance between himself and Yui, I think that it is subconscious, that he is continuously afraid of being disappointed that he stops it first. I really don't think he is letting himself consider the possibility. He previously accused her of only being nice because she was feeling guilty.

I didn't say he doesn't *want* to get close to people (at least, to some people) -- I agree that he does want that. I think he *won't allow* it to happen.

I guess our opposing stances on this is an example of how two people can look at the same thing and come up with very different interpretations. From my point of view, what Hatchiman has been doing is pretty clearly intentional on his part. From yours, he is doing it subconsciously. If the scene that Yttrbio cited isn't enough to see that he's doing it intentionally, then I doubt I'd be able to change your mind, and that's fine with me.

The only person he's let his guard down around, even slightly, was Yukino, and that's because he bought into her image rather than how she really is, and he later chastized himself over it.

Yttrbio, I'm don't think it's a matter of him feeling that he doesn't even count so much as he feels like he can endure whatever social/emotional consequences result from his actions -- something he doesn't think others can do. If someone is going to suffer, why not the guy most capable of handling it? But however you look at it, it's definitely not good for his own wellbeing, which is what his Advisor told him afterwards, IIRC (I know she's told him that, but I'm not sure if it was due to this occasion or a different one).

jl0745, I'm pretty sure his feelings for Totsuka are being played as a joke. I don't think Hatchiman is gay.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I will say that I doubt that anyone who expresses fondness for 2D girls has ever had a relationship with a 3D one.

I will say that I doubt that any one who has been mangled by a 3D relationship hasn't considered giving it up for 2D.
DuskyPredator wrote:
He previously accused her of only being nice because she was feeling guilty.

And he was at least partly right. And the fact that he recognized that and was willing to speak to it allowed them to move past that.

Tour_of_Gondolin is right. Hachiman is too aware of the trees to see the forest, and it looks like this anime is going to be all about him learning to widen his scope of vision. At least I hope so, but that doesn't mean he has to end up being romantically involved with either of prime harem cows.
Tour_of_Gondolin wrote:
jl0745, I'm pretty sure his feelings for Totsuka are being played as a joke. I don't think Hatchiman is gay.

Bi-curious then? (of course it's a joke) Hachiman seems to respond to him at least as strongly as he does when Yui leans on him.

Yay. CR started streaming this.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Anime romances. I'm not sure how that mirrors real Japanese teenagers. I will say that I doubt that anyone who expresses fondness for 2D girls has ever had a relationship with a 3D one.

Ooi, I'm extremely offended by that completely unfounded.....statement...that totally doesn't apply to me..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Don't be offended, LordByron227 - that's just Alan45 being Alan45. He's always going around trying to pick fights - ask anyone.

(...hee hee hee...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 19