• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Devil Survivor 2: The Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And was the bunny hood really necessary, not that I don't mind how it makes him kind of cute for some strange reason.

That's definitely something distracting I've found throughout the series also that I thought was a bit distracting.

At any rate, this series has a lost a lot of touch for me since its epic debut. Imo, it had a strong start, a rather weak episode that followed and then somewhat okay episodes. The latest episode did set up things well and had some great action. However, this show stands at slightly above mediocre for me now. I have not played the game before so idk how well this has been adapted so far. Yet, I just hope it improves a bit more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

spoiler[The Anguished One played his villain role perfectly.
Hibiki had a difficult choice to make.
So this time they met the app maker.
At least the plot is making a leap forward.]
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the weird minority that's actually really enjoying this show. But, I did play the game first, so I can't say what my feelings would be if I hadn't.

I certainly wouldn't call it my favorite show of the season, but I think it's perfectly entertaining and a much more enjoyable adaptation than Persona 4 was. (...Though I also recognize I'm probably in the minority on that sentiment, too. Razz)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well I can't help hearing Airi without thinking Nyatlathotep. She does not even have an unspeakable bar thing.

At least the mean dude feels a little nicer now.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Ban! Airi! lol I laughed so hard when she introduced herself, herlast name gives me giggles. she's so adorable!!! please dontdie Sad Her relationship with Jungo is pretty cute too
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8
Well, business sure picked up this episode with the the spoiler[deaths of three comrades.] Also, that explanation about spoiler[The Void] seemed to have hit a particular someone hard in his mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Well that's some wayspoiler[ to get rid of a third of the cast.] I get this show is trying to be merciless and mean, but I thought it was kind of stupid tospoiler[ just off so many people, which I hardly cared about anyway, except, perhaps for Ronaldo].

The ending left me with a question: If they somehow manage to save the world,spoiler[ will it go back to how it was before or will ir remain half consumed by the Void? It seems kind of pointless to "save" a world, when most of it no longer exists]
Ridia

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I guess this answers the question of 'How is a series this short going to juggle the game's rather large cast?' Answer: Kill 'em all! Twisted Evil Though to be fair, so far no one's died who doesn't have the possibility of dying in the game as well.]

Having played the game, I'm kinda apprehensive about where the show is going. (Game spoilers ahoy beyond this point)spoiler[ The 'kill 'em all' attitude is giving me the sinking feeling that we're working towards Daichi's ending with the Giant Reset Button, which was mildly irritating as a game ending and is, IMO, toxic as an anime ending. Fingers crossed that the anime decides to be a bit more bold and goes Alcor's route instead.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

It seems no one actually listens when someone says spoiler[they are going to die. They just say they will be careful and then drop their guard to end up in the situation. At least no one I have really cared about has died yet, well maybe that guy with the hat]. As long as they keep spoiler[Airi a Jungo].
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
Finally some action!
It was about time we got to see some serious fighting.
Watching the summoned beings fight was pretty awesome.
spoiler[Alcor - Hibiki] heart-to-heart was interesting.
At least they gave us some new info and explanations.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
The ending left me with a question: If they somehow manage to save the world,spoiler[ will it go back to how it was before or will ir remain half consumed by the Void? It seems kind of pointless to "save" a world, when most of it no longer exists]

If you were left with a choice of a piece of a world or no world at all, it would seem the choice would be pretty clear. At least to me it would.

Where do you suppose the Anguished One learned to write cell phone apps?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
While I suppose the choice does sound obvious, I do have to think of what the remaining world would be. Say you manage to survive and save a little piece of world. spoiler[A lot of your friends and loved ones have died. Whatever's left is in ruins. Where do you get food supplies? The Void has consumed the sky, there's no sunlight. Only Japan is left, where do you get your energy from?] Any post-apocalyptic movie or show has taugh us that surviving the almost-end-of-the-world is not as fun as many zombie fans seem to believe. I'm not saying the world is not worth saving, but the specific scenario presented in this show reeks of inevitable despair and I can't imagine how this could turn into a happy ending
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

That's exactly the terrible realization that was dawning on Hibiki at the end. Plus, spoiler[the episode briefly revealed at the end - and the game much more explicitly - that Japan is the last remaining portion of the Earth not yet erased by the void. And even it is largely destroyed, and most of the characters' loved ones dead.] I think it's supposed to fill you with an overwhelming sense of dread and futility.

Still really enjoying this show. The adaptation is so, so much better that P4 - most my many complaints about that show have been fixed in this one, even if its source material was weaker. (I honestly thought DS2 was one of the less impressive Megaten games that I've played... Still fun though.)

But it certainly isn't perfect. My biggest complaint is the lack of potential development on the side characters. I don't know if they could have effectively stretched this show out to be 26 episodes, but I wish they could have done some kind of strange "1.5 cours" 19 episode run or something. In the game (where most characters CAN indeed die - or survive - based on your actions), the major 12 characters all had (optional) mini-character arcs that you could (optionally) gradually progress through the game. If the show had a few more episodes, it would've been nice to see some of those character arcs worked in. It certainly would've given the various deaths far more impact.

At least they preserved little glimpses of and references to them. For most characters, I think they still did a good job of giving a general representation of who they are. Well, except Keita. But Keita sucks.

...I knew it was unlikely, but I really hoped Jungo was going to be in the anime, though. Sad
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:

That's exactly the terrible realization that was dawning on Hibiki at the end. Plus, spoiler[the episode briefly revealed at the end - and the game much more explicitly - that Japan is the last remaining portion of the Earth not yet erased by the void. And even it is largely destroyed, and most of the characters' loved ones dead.] I think it's supposed to fill you with an overwhelming sense of dread and futility.

That's exactly the point I addressed in the post right above yours. I think that scene wspoiler[ith Hibiki in the bridge watching the Void consume the sky and realizing the world can't be saved] was probably the first time in the series where I felt seriously invested in whatever's happening.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not saying the world is not worth saving, but the specific scenario presented in this show reeks of inevitable despair and I can't imagine how this could turn into a happy ending

It could, however, stand in for the prologue for about 1,000 different anime I have seen so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7