• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop CEO Cites Borders' Bankruptcy for Layoffs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Jaymie wrote:
No, it's because of the money squandered away for America's Greatest Otaku. The cost of the minibus, hotel rooms, and gas to travel across the freaking country could've easily went towards the employee's wages instead.

You don't see Viz, Yen, Dark Horse, Seven Seas, Vertical, Kodansha, or Digital Manga laying people off because of Borders.

Vertical was bought-out by Kodansha, & Dai Nippon Printing animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-02-23/kodansha-dai-nippon-printing-buy-vertical

Kodansha International Shut Down animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-03/kodansha-international-to-shut-down-by-april

Not that it matters to me I don't read manga.

Neither of those is a result of Borders. Both are a result of Random House and Kodansha restructuring how they are set up and Vertical is one of the few publishers who has been showing growth in recent years.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
The fact Borders had a substantial debt to pay publishers is a pretty good indication the problem isn't with Borders.
As the icv2 article says, borders is very manga heavy in terms of accounts and the other companies also have large parent companies to eat any losses. Tokyopop just has a distribution deal with a major publisher. They don't have anyone to protect them from a what's probably a 5 mil write off (which would be over 50% of their revenue according to some sources).
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
As the icv2 article says, borders is very manga heavy in terms of accounts and the other companies also have large parent companies to eat any losses. Tokyopop just has a distribution deal with a major publisher. They don't have anyone to protect them from a what's probably a 10 mil write off (which would be over 50% of their revenue according to some sources).

It's not 50% of their revenue, because they were never paid. Sending books to people who will never pay you is not a profitable activity.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
As incharitably as many would (rightly) want to view Tokyopop's business dealings, they really were between a rock and a hard place with Borders. We've seen an identical pattern in home video as well:

The store responsible for more than 50% of your income is having trouble paying. You have 3 new series coming out that you spent a lot of money licensing and translating, and if you don't get them on store shelves, nobody even knows they exist. DO YOU:

A) Keep shipping to your biggest customer, hoping they'll pay you someday? I mean, they always have in the past, even if it took a while.

B) Stop shipping to your biggest customer, at which point they shrug because you're a small publisher, and risk the buyers taking you off their monthly planner and they never order anything from you again? That's over half your revenue. Since the money isn't coming, you'll have to cut your costs and lay a lot of people off, because you're not going to bounce back from a 50%+ cut in your revenue very quickly. Your shareholders will probably want to kill you, and if your customer ever rights itself and starts paying people again, you can rest assured you will be very low on the priority list.

C) Sue them, even though the cost of suing them will be more than they owe you, and you'd probably go bankrupt paying the legal fees up front? And they'll never order from you again if they turn around.

Yeah, NONE of those options are very good ones, but A is probably the least-awful option. It's the one everyone made with Musicland a few years ago. And just because nobody else has had (known) layoffs yet doesn't mean they won't occur or that they're not hurting badly. But the bigger publishers do have a lot more cushion simply by virtue of being way more diversified.

TP has made a lot of terrible investments in the past, and they deserve ridicule for those, but this isn't one of them. Borders' bankruptcy is a Very Bad Thing for the manga business, and everyone is feeling it.

Last edited by jsevakis on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
It's not 50% of their revenue, because they were never paid. Sending books to people who will never pay you is not a profitable activity.

You DO know the manga business didn't start yesterday, right? All the publishers have had a years-long relationship with Borders, who has been a very good and influential customer in years gone by, to the point where many publishers would have a hard time existing without them. For 15+ years, they have been paying their bills.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Justin's points are quite true- the Borders situation is something that was very complicated, and even though publishers saw it coming, it was difficult to work around it. There's a lot more going on than people think, outside the surface level.

bayoab wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
Vertical was bought-out by Kodansha, & Dai Nippon Printing animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-02-23/kodansha-dai-nippon-printing-buy-vertical

Kodansha International Shut Down animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-03/kodansha-international-to-shut-down-by-april

Not that it matters to me I don't read manga.

Neither of those is a result of Borders. Both are a result of Random House and Kodansha restructuring how they are set up and Vertical is one of the few publishers who has been showing growth in recent years.

Good point- the whole Kodansha thing has been underway for a number of years, kicking off with Kodansha putting several TP licenses on hold in 2008. The JapanTimes article about the restructuring http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20110305a1.html even mentioons that they started Kodansha USA in 2008.

Ed Chavez has pointed out a few times, including in an article on CBR's Robot6, that Kodansha is an investor not an owner, and that this was planned for awhile.

Another thing I just remembered-
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-06-03/tokyopop-to-restructure
Tokyopop became 2 companies 3 years ago. One to handle publishing, the other to handle "new media" and films. So all the wierd shenanigans of the Otaku Reality show are likely under a different company that's also handling their website, digital and film plans [Priest being underway], which was seperate from publishing. It might be that all that stuff doesn't affect publishing, and the issues they're experiencing might just be from publishing world issues like Borders. This is something to consider, though it's not terribly clear if it's the case.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about Priest. That's also going to be a big problem for Tokyopop. They're putting a lot of emphasis on Priest, even creating a brand new series (Priest: Purgatory) to help promote it.

The thing is, Priest is going to be a big-time box office flop. I doubt it'll even break even. Soooo... Confused
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I forgot about Priest. That's also going to be a big problem for Tokyopop. They're putting a lot of emphasis on Priest, even creating a brand new series (Priest: Purgatory) to help promote it.

The thing is, Priest is going to be a big-time box office flop. I doubt it'll even break even. Soooo... Confused

A 4 issue comic book miniseries is pretty standard in the world of comic book marketing. Not really that unusual. I think they licensed his new series, and it looks to still be in print- it was generally a well selling series for them in the past [they even put out an Artbook for it].

How much it flopping affects TPop probably depends- it's not like the flop of the Astro Boy movie destroyed IDW and Dark Horse because they made products tied into the movie, or that Dragon Ball Evolution tanking hurt VIZ. Sometimes when a movie doesn't quite succeed to Hollywood standards, the hype and high profile is more than enough to draw readers into the books it's based on- the Scott Pilgrim movie sure lead a lot of people to those books this past year.

It doesn't look like Tokyopop financed this themselves [like Marvel did with the IronMan movies], as Screen Gems [who made the Resident Evil franchise] are releasing it.

But I dunno, I guess it's more fun to predict doom and gloom?

On the bright side, it's nice to see all the discussions about buying books, finding books at places other than Borders, checking out overlooked series and other things that all this as caused.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"We will continue to do everything we can to evolve the manga business and we very much appreciate the support of our fans, our partners, our creators, and out retail customers."

There's a typo, it should say OUR retail customers, someone should fix that.

I would have bought from Borders, had they not wanted me to pay retail price to order something online that I can find cheaper on Amazon.com.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I kinda feel sorry for them in a way-but it doesn't affect me one way or the other cause I don't read manga.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

I would have bought from Borders, had they not wanted me to pay retail price to order something online that I can find cheaper on Amazon.com.

That is also the reason why I for the most part stopped most things at B%M stores. If the B&M stores had better pricing to keep up with online stores I would probably buy more from B&M out of convenience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
nargun wrote:

You DO know the manga business didn't start yesterday, right? All the publishers have had a years-long relationship with Borders, who has been a very good and influential customer in years gone by, to the point where many publishers would have a hard time existing without them. For 15+ years, they have been paying their bills.

Exactly. Moreover, even up to a couple of weeks ago, Borders was trying to work out some deal with their creditors that ultimately fell through.

Tokyopop is simply screwed because they're a very small fish in a large pond full of creditors going after Borders, and the bigger fish are going to get paid first (if at all - my guess is that whatever company buys Borders will probably then go ahead and liquidate it).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
MagicallyDelicious wrote:
But as I was reorganizing my collection the other day... it's almost all Viz although DelRey and a few others are earning their space. The only "new" Tokyopop that I added since the early days of my fandom were DearS, Welcome to the NHK, and 2 volumes of Rozen Maiden. Oh, and 4 volumes of Crescent Moon that I haven't read because someone gave it to me saying it was "awful".

I remember being worried about Tokyopop the month that Fruits Basket ended because there was nothing left from them that I wanted, and if I felt that way, I was pretty sure other people did too.

I hope Tokypop gets it together, but it's hard to see it happening.

I was happy they were nice enough to finish out BTX.
Mad Love Chase. Junjyo Romantica, Demon Sacred, Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, their Blu yaoi line-I've had no problem finding titles of theirs to buy

Isn't this a repeat of Sam Goody & CPM? Hopefully TP will fare better.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The Borders near my house is closing.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

That is also the reason why I for the most part stopped most things at B%M stores. If the B&M stores had better pricing to keep up with online stores I would probably buy more from B&M out of convenience.

Borders does have a free Borders Reward program where you get 25%, 30% to 40% off coupons emailed to you which helps immensely, (unless you buy many manga's at a time). I can't tell you how much money I've saved over the years, but it's been alot AND I didn't have to wait to get it in the mail. I'm not as voracious a reader as some people are, but I do have a nice collection and most have been purchased at B&M's at a discount, So don't write them off so easily.
matrixdude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Outch, they should be getting something from the remains of borders though. Won't be much at all, but it'll be something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5