• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Strike a Poser

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@Ragna: I'll have to disagree with you on the 2000's part the first decade of the 21st century had some pretty HORRID toons.

There was still plenty of solid stuff as well. Justice League, Futurama, Samurai Jack, Avatar: TLA, Powerpuff Girls, and probably more but I'm just naming the stuff that comes to mind immediately.

Technically PPG & Futurama started in the 90's, *as did Family Guy & Spongebob * but yeah there was good stuff, but like with media in general around 2005 things seemed to kinda, go down hill a bit. Laughing

Anywho BOT... I've often wondered if people accuse others of being a poser, does that mean they fear that person or just dislike them, or they themselves are a "Poser" who just doesn't want to be outed?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
Don't know why people are using starving children in this argument. The prices are blatantly outrageous. They are still outrageous, if people are still willing to pay those prices. Doesn't make a difference if it is a necessity or entertainment.

I don't agree with those that paint those buying at those prices as villains. If I had the funds, I could be tempted to buy even at those exorbitant prices. The consumers are not the problem, it is Aniplex that is the villain of this play.

They have every right to charge whatever they want for their product, just as we have every right to complain that they are gouging us.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I remember a couple years ago (my Sophmore year of HS in 2010), we were watching "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" in English class for whatever reason, and some girl made a comment later about how "old" the movie was, and I was like "How is a movie made in 2008 old?". Her response: "We're in 2010 boy!" Geez, I never thought a 2-year-old movie would ever be considered "old". Rolling Eyes

As for the dubbing thing, the American entertainment industry is based out of California, so it should make sense that so many anime dubs are done there as well, but the Texas dubs do have dedicated people working on them, and they've established TWO different pools of actors that work more than any other pool around right now. The New York pool always had a problem with loosing people to California. Whenever a Texas VA moves to California (Vic Mignogna, Laura Bailey, Todd Haberkorn, Cherami Leigh, etc), they almost always return to reprise old roles. That's rarely the case in New York. When Megan Hollingshead and Sam Riegel left for Cali, Mai Valentine and Rex Raptor were both recast in Yu-Gi-Oh! Megan's role as Nurse Joy in Pokemon also found way to a new person, and this was before the giant recast. Speaking of that, that was due to budget/contract issues, something that, I admit, seems to be pretty rare in Japanese voice acting.

Anime voice acting in Japan is seen as a completely different thing than here. Over there, they most likely see it the same way we see Western animation. Their dubs of Western animation often have some recasts. Wataru Tagai for instance, quit his role of Eddy in Ed, Edd, n Eddy after four seasons for unknown reasons.

The anime with the worst recasts in Japan are probably Fullmetal Alchemist, Berserk, Saint Seiya, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Kotono Mitsuishi briefly leaving her role of Sailor Moon was also... interesting. I'm not sure what the most controversial US anime recast is. I think it might be Ryoko in Tenchi Muyo. I remember a lot of of people were very angry (and still are) about Petrea Burchard not reprising her role for the third OVA, supposedly due to a salary dispute (Petrea herself refuses to go into details for professional reasons).

I should point out that Toronto and Vancouver get a LOT of animation voice work. Granted, it's mostly western animation, but there's been some anime recorded in both, especially Vancouver, which is pretty much the entertainment capitol of Canada. Calgary also does some anime. I guess that's the Houston or Ft. Worth of Canada. Razz
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I remember a couple years ago (my Sophmore year of HS in 2010), we were watching "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" in English class for whatever reason, and some girl made a comment later about how "old" the movie was, and I was like "How is a movie made in 2008 old?". Her response: "We're in 2010 boy!" Geez, I never thought a 2-year-old movie would ever be considered "old". Rolling Eyes.....

My daughter talked much the same way. Music, TV, and movies depreciate quite quickly with this generation.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
They have every right to charge whatever they want for their product, just as we have every right to complain that they are gouging us.

You don't see any contradiction between saying that the price being charged is scandalous or shocking, and on the other hand that they have every right to charge whatever they want for their product? Where's the scandal if they have every right to charge whatever they want?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The anime with the worst recasts in Japan are probably Fullmetal Alchemist, Berserk, Saint Seiya, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Kotono Mitsuishi briefly leaving her role of Sailor Moon was also...

Yu-Gi-Oh only recast one person, and that was because the seiyuu died from lung cancer. Though no disrespect to her, her replacement was a lot better than her, but I suspect that largely had to do with her struggling with cancer which affected her performance, and her replacement, Rica Matsumoto, is a seiyuu legend; so it's a bit of an unfair to pit them against one another.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
My daughter talked much the same way. Music, TV, and movies depreciate quite quickly with this generation.

I've heard people call games from like 3 years ago old.

Damn. This generation is too focused on the present. Everything is so fleeting, so watered-down and focused on delivering entertainment NOW even if that means being little more than unimaginative pablum like everything else.

I feel so disconnected from my peers. Right now I'm reading House of Leaves--it's from 2000. If I see anyone reading a book (which is a rare sight--books are fundamentally anathema to the "entertainment NOW" model) it's no more than 2 years at best.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

You don't see any contradiction between saying that the price being charged is scandalous or shocking, and on the other hand that they have every right to charge whatever they want for their product? Where's the scandal if they have every right to charge whatever they want?

There is no law that says they can only charge a certain amount. Just because they have the right to charge, the sun and the moon, doesn't mean the rest of us have to like it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
^
Of course you don't have to like it. No-one said you had to. Heck, even I have my reservations with the Japanese pricing system. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean that Aniplex are screwing over their customers. They're not.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Of course you don't have to like it. No-one said you had to. Heck, even I have my reservations with the Japanese pricing system. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean that Aniplex are screwing over their customers. They're not.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
That's not what I was getting at. I don't see any room for two valid opinions here; no-one is being forced to pay their prices. Apart from AoA providing rather sloppily-assembled boxes, and of course the lack of subtitling for some extras, I don't see how AoA could possibly be screwing its loyal customers. As for those who can't afford AoA releases, they're hardly screwing them since they don't target the average consumer anyway. They haven't betrayed anyone's expectations or shafted a previous customer base. Their low-risk strategy involves primarily selling luxury goods to a small group of big-spenders; they don't screw anyone over.

Now, you've clearly had enough talking about this, and I respect your decision. I won't mention AoA or their pricing again in this thread.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There is no law that says they can only charge a certain amount. Just because they have the right to charge, the sun and the moon, doesn't mean the rest of us have to like it.

Yeah, but saying "I don't like that pricing" is one thing. Saying "that pricing is outrageous" is saying the price is inherently scandalous and/or shocking.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

Speaking of anime cons, I've also come to realize I don't fit in with the younger crowd so I'm considering going to New York Comic Con this year. Which is supposed to have some anime but the strange thing is, my husband, who has been into traditional superhero comics, doesn't want to go because there doesn't appear to be enough anime stuff. If anyone here has been recently, how is it?

If ya gonna get NYCC tix, get it soon after the type of tix ya want becomes available. Last year, NYCC tix sold out months in advance. This year, the VIP tix (that cost several times the regular tix, even $500+) sold out just hours after coming out. I can't even imagine an NA anime con could do that.

Also, now that the years-long re-construction work is done, the NYCC will finally get to use the whole convention center, so hopefully anime gets back its own dedicated ghetto.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

The anime with the worst recasts in Japan are probably Fullmetal Alchemist, Berserk, Saint Seiya, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Kotono Mitsuishi briefly leaving her role of Sailor Moon was also... interesting. I'm not sure what the most controversial US anime recast is.

The boy Ranma one since it's the main protagonist of the #1 NA dub anime at the time, and the fandom literally divided on the original dub voice.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
^ Thanks for the heads up. I hope I can get my husband more interested in going; he's not too enthusuastic about the guests and events so far. But I told him they've just started planning for this year, and maybe there will be something or someone of interest for both of us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4