• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flowers Of Evil (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Flowers Of Evil
Anime Spotlight

Plot Summary: Takao Kasuga was a young boy engrossed in the works of Baudelaire.
Driven by irresistible impulses, he laid hands upon the gym uniform of Nanako Saeki, the girl he secretly had a crush on. But that act dramatically shook his fate, at the hands of Sawa Nakamura, the girl who caught him in the act…
Where will such building passions unique to youth lead in their small, insular town?
This is a tale everyone has or will experience in their lives, a forbidden tale of youth recorded in the valley between anguish and joy.

13 Episodes
Drama, Romance, School, Psychological

Ep. 1

As a huge fan of the manga this is how I feel right now. I mean, going from this to this is a bit of a shock to the system. In fact, it really hurt the feel of the entire episode for me.

Alot of what made the manga for me was the art and facial expressions and how well they helped convey the atmosphere of the series. Especially Nakamura. And I actually feel like this is going to hurt that throughout the series. I just didn't feel that same atmosphere from watching this.

To be honest, I might actually just stop watching it right now. I absolutely loved the manga but I don't love this.

I usually admire people for trying something different. However, I already felt like AnH was something a little different. Something to capture the boredom of people tired of seeing the same high school romances over and over again. I don't feel like there was a reason to try something else a little different with something that was already a little different.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
So... why not live action? I mean, if you want to emphasize the realism... why not just take pictures of reality?
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
As a huge fan of the manga this is how I feel right now. I mean, going from this to this is a bit of a shock to the system. In fact, it really hurt the feel of the entire episode for me.

I haven't read the manga so I don't know, but: did the anime capture her attitude perfectly? I can't see that attitude coming from the girl in the manga.

I can understand your reluctance to willingly destroy your view of that character.

I haven't seen enough yet to form much of any opinion about the anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Laughter stock of the season. I've seen rotoscoping done well better than this.

I watched the episode twice and it had the same effect. Oh and the pacing is terrible too. I have read the manga and that's how I felt. The artwork is terrible along with the pacing and the expressions on the characters' faces.

This is a terrible pilot episode imo. Shame I had so much expectations from this originally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

...I don't think their mouths should disappear every other step, should they?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

...I don't think their mouths should disappear every other step, should they?

Imo, it's just the way it's being handled with the artwork in terms of not staying consistent with the character designs. Plus, I didn't find them appealing even if this was an original work although it's not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Volibear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Volibear wrote:

I haven't read the manga so I don't know, but: did the anime capture her attitude perfectly? I can't see that attitude coming from the girl in the manga.

I can understand your reluctance to willingly destroy your view of that character.

I haven't seen enough yet to form much of any opinion about the anime.

Here is what should have been the "iconic" image of the first episode, based on what they actually animated. And this is how the anime delivered it.

To me, I feel like all the impact was lost with the anime's style. And it's not just her design, it's everyone's.

Also, I forgot to mention how off the pacing feels. It only covered just under the first 1/2 chapter in 20mins. There should have been plenty of time to cover at least the first chapter and get to the point where people understand more of what is going on.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ye, and the pacing. I think about only 18 pages was animated from the chapter.

It was just literally going nowhere without that sense of psychological thriller-like feeling imo.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Volibear wrote:
And this is how the anime delivered it.

I guess they just wanted her to look like Light from Death Note Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Whoa... is that a girl with manface, or a man with wierd hair? I was going to say Volibear was overreacting, but... well...

Still, Volibear, just using "this" as a descriptor is pretty weak. IMO you'd be better off saying how you feel, and then using the links as a way to reinforce it, instead of just letting the links carry the whole weight. Plus, some people don't like clicking on random links. Just my 2 cents.

And that is one ugly... uh... well, it's ugly.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 1

I guess watching Trapeze last year had inadvertently prepared me for the rotoscoping. Except that show utilized it as a form of "visual collage" by combing CGI, textures, live-action shots, and photography, to give the series some visual flare. Here, my only concern is how flat the characters look; there's no shading to indicate depth or shadows on their faces so they end up looking like blobs which is a shame since the movement of their bodies are fine.

Pacing is the major issue with the show. There will only be 13 episodes but, at this rate, the show might either have an original or open-ended ending. The entire first volume easily could have been animated in the pilot, since that's when Takao steals the panties but, we probably won't even get to see spoiler[him wear Nanako's gym clothes on their date] until episode 5 or spoiler[trashing the classroom] until ep. 10, let alone the spoiler[infamous rape] scene. Unless they expect a squeal, I'm guessing the show will differ completely from the manga.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The animation style was extremely distracting, but it did deliver a creepy atmosphere, which I liked.

If it was rendered at the same frame rates as regular anime, I have to appreciate how conventional anime techniques can achieve a sense of fluidity with such low rates. I already knew that it was less than 24 fps, but man, this episode demonstrated how an insufficient technique can result in extremely jerky animation.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Whoa... is that a girl with manface, or a man with wierd hair? I was going to say Volibear was overreacting, but... well...

Manfaced girl is manfaced.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Still, Volibear, just using "this" as a descriptor is pretty weak. IMO you'd be better off saying how you feel, and then using the links as a way to reinforce it, instead of just letting the links carry the whole weight.

I get what you mean, but I think showing what she looks like in the manga vs anime conveys things pretty well.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Plus, some people don't like clicking on random links.

Random links are the backbone of social interaction.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Now that was distracting, honestly I can't even see why they bothered with this being an anime when they could have just done live action if this was the way they would make it look. I am not familiar with the original like some people seem to be, so it won't affect my opinion. But the animation was really clunky, the characters don't move fluidly, features disappear as they go into the distance, and there is not really much interesting features when they are up close.

It did deliver on being creepy, it was mentioned that they barely did anything from the source material, but I found it a rather interesting idea of how it was done here. Although on that note I could not figure out what it wanted to do from the slow pace not presenting direction. I was wondering if I was supposed to expect some sort of zombie or something. The ED itself was creepy, but next to the bland characters it just feels off.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
The rotoscoping used with the series is definitely rough, but I'm liking the mood the show is giving off. It looks like the show is trying to make as realistic a mood as possible with its presentation and it shows with the show's efforts with rotoscoping (people actually looking Asian instead of having anime big eyes and wacky hair colors), its seemingly tense mood and minimal use of music throughout its run. I haven't read the manga, but I think I'll be sticking with this show for the time being.

At least feedback on the show here (even from those who read the manga) isn't as ridiculously out of proportion as what is going on at MyAnimeList.net right now. Enough folks giving it low ratings only from the first episode alone and is currently ranked among the worst titles on the site. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 26