• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flowers Of Evil (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldPilot

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
This show(Kasuga) is pretty painful to watch. And that is why I keep watching it. Kasuga just keeps digging his grave deeper and deeper. I cringe with all of his choices.

Episoide 8: spoiler[Walking, Walking, Walking! This was painful in the wrong way. I know this is probably supposed to be artistic and profound. Somebody posted some pretty good theories a few posts above about what this march is supposed to symbolize. I just can't figure out kind of metaphorical mumbo-jumbo on my own. Couldn't they have shown them walking but faded them from spot to spot to move it along faster? ]

It's been along time since I watched a show week to week as it came out. It really gives you perspective on how well and episode is put together. This one was a bit of a let down for me.

I can't wait to watch Kasuga fail at life more! Even though I hate Nakamura for tormenting Kasuga, I believe I enjoy the show because of the hell she is putting him through.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I might just throw this out as my theory of what may happen next, that way I can look back at this and see how wrong I was. But I don't think Saiki will necessarily spoiler[hate him about this, instead she might have an interest. She already expressed some frustration over people considering her perfect, or having big expectations for her. I think that there is the real possibility that she may want to rebel a little bit.] Slightly based my idea on that Nakamura was saying that spoiler[Saiki wanted to do the dirty].
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the long walk home was just as it should have been. spoiler[It really drives home how much closer and more real the relationship between Kasuga and Nakamura is than Kasuga and Saeki's dating. It emphasizes Kasuga's palpable dread that his life as he knows it is over, and he wants to hold onto this one moment as long as he possibly can. Did you watch how, when he and Nakamura parted, Kasuga stretched out his arm as she was walking away to hold contact with her as long as he could.

Then there's the question of how much his breakup with Saeki is his guilt over what he's done to her, and how much is his budding realization that she can't give him what Nakamura can. I don't think he even realizes the latter coming into effect here.

I don't think Saeki will expose Kasuga. Besides being curious as to why he did it, I think she's almost as afraid of the public reaction as he is. The book may not have affected her the same way it affected him, but it has got her thinking, and it seems to me like she's struggling with these new concepts, and even the association of being the victim shames her similarly to the way being the perpetrator shames Kasuga.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Nakamura is the one you were told you couldn't play with anymore.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:I would definitely agree with the rest of you that scene at the beginning was great.spoiler[I think for me it worked because I had this sense that characters were liberated.They walked slowly around town covered in ink whilst holding their hands,it really seemed like they didn't care about anything at that moment.]
Also when Kasuga was again walking to school, I was reminded of screenshot that DKL posted back when first episode aired.It was just Kasuga looking around with a bored expression on his face.When he was walking in this episode his eyes were fixed on his shoes,implying that he was really scared.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Also when Kasuga was again walking to school, I was reminded of screenshot that DKL posted back when first episode aired.It was just Kasuga looking around with a bored expression on his face.When he was walking in this episode his eyes were fixed on his shoes,implying that he was really scared.

Yeah, I found that contrast with the first episode really interesting... on its face, it looks like the same scene (I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually shot during the same time lol), but there's obviously something very different about how he's conveying himself now.

EDIT:

Also, this scene x_x

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/dklreviews/tumblr_mnhfztgRRo1qijytbo1_500_zps52d97f7f.gif

There's something... oddly erotic about it...

Like she's spoiler[briefly reminding him of the kinky behavior they engaged in just a few hours ago that only they have the privilege of knowing about.]

Tumblr da bes
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
OldPilot wrote:
This show(Kasuga) is pretty painful to watch. And that is why I keep watching it. Kasuga just keeps digging his grave deeper and deeper. I cringe with all of his choices.

Episoide 8: spoiler[Walking, Walking, Walking! This was painful in the wrong way. I know this is probably supposed to be artistic and profound. Somebody posted some pretty good theories a few posts above about what this march is supposed to symbolize. I just can't figure out kind of metaphorical mumbo-jumbo on my own. Couldn't they have shown them walking but faded them from spot to spot to move it along faster? ]

It's been along time since I watched a show week to week as it came out. It really gives you perspective on how well and episode is put together. This one was a bit of a let down for me.

I can't wait to watch Kasuga fail at life more! Even though I hate Nakamura for tormenting Kasuga, I believe I enjoy the show because of the hell she is putting him through.

That scene of them spoiler[ walking for 5 min with no talking or anything other then the score playing is meant to be the calm before the storm. It's to build the suspense before they get back to class and things really start to blow up.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

I know that they were going for a building tension in this episode, but it was just awfully done. I literally skipped minutes of the episode because it was just a spoiler[slow walk from the school with them holding hands], it was not until like 8 minutes in he reached his house. Half the episode was over by the time he got to school

It just felt like a terrible attempt to pad out the show (on a show that has enough pacing problems) until they got to end it where they did. They could have conveyed whatever message in a much shorter time. Maybe 3 minutes of this show really mattered, and it really knocked my out of caring, it felt like they were trying too hard.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

I know that they were going for a building tension in this episode, but it was just awfully done. I literally skipped minutes of the episode because it was just a spoiler[slow walk from the school with them holding hands], it was not until like 8 minutes in he reached his house. Half the episode was over by the time he got to school

It just felt like a terrible attempt to pad out the show (on a show that has enough pacing problems) until they got to end it where they did. They could have conveyed whatever message in a much shorter time. Maybe 3 minutes of this show really mattered, and it really knocked my out of caring, it felt like they were trying too hard.

It had nothing with trying to hard or pacing problems. It simply was build up before everything comes crashing down on them. As i said the Calm before the storm. It's very obvious of what they were trying to do throughout the whole episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
And I said that I knew they were doing that, but it was still terrible. I have a lot of patience, you will see people badmouth shows and I will still try and find the upside, but this was 8 minutes, 8 minutes the characters slowly walking with bare animation. As far as I am concerned it is like 8 episodes of the same summer vacation. this combined with the amount of still shots in the episode (something people usually complain about but I don't have too much of a problem) was an example of how low budget this episode, and how much they padded out.

People were going nuts over a few still shots in Attack on Titan, why are so many accepting with this episode, I would argue Attack on Titan used the limited budget for atmosphere better.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Comparing limited animation in Flowers of Evil to Attack on Titan is misleading because the latter is an action-heavy series, while the former relies heavily on establishing shots and subtle visual cues.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Those still shots they you complain about here,aren't really limited budget as much as they are a stylistic choice.They are quite commonly used in Japanese live action films and heck even Grave of the Fireflies uses them.I think if this was live action series it still would have used those shots.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Actually, if anyone has seen the live-action footage for episode 3, I was surprised to learn that a lot of the show's stills are actually based on photos as opposed to setting the camera down or whatever (or, to the very least, the camera isn't actually shooting... it's just on pause or something).

I was initially under the impression that there would actually be footage there, but then they don't animate it.

The differences between the live-action footage and the animation is interesting in general: for example, in the live-action version of classroom, you actually don't have a very good view of the outside and it seems like this is something that they just added in later... there would also be people with boom mics standing in some of the shots lol

(which kinda makes sense given that a lot of the shots in this show are ridiculously wide...)
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And I said that I knew they were doing that, but it was still terrible. I have a lot of patience, you will see people badmouth shows and I will still try and find the upside, but this was 8 minutes, 8 minutes the characters slowly walking with bare animation. As far as I am concerned it is like 8 episodes of the same summer vacation. this combined with the amount of still shots in the episode (something people usually complain about but I don't have too much of a problem) was an example of how low budget this episode, and how much they padded out.

People were going nuts over a few still shots in Attack on Titan, why are so many accepting with this episode, I would argue Attack on Titan used the limited budget for atmosphere better.

so far episode 7 and 8 were by far my favorites. I really don't think your invested (emotionally)nearly as much or enjoy the series as much. Emotionally it was a very powerful episode. Just because there is not much in plot or even really much happening there were some really strong emotions involved and was very tense up until the classroom.

Also As I've pointed out many times previously anything that comes off as limiting or low budget is intentional. They are not cutting corners or trying to save money, they are intentionally trying and going for a specific look to convey emotion and and a feel for the story. You say you understand but I really do not think you do. Yes it was slow but it was all for a reason. If really you are complaining this show is slow, then honestly I'm not sure why you are watching it still. Sometimes it's just nice to take things slowly and smell the flowers and not rush into everything.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
I agreed that how tense it was with him going to school was good, but 8 minutes of nothing is crazy. I like to see what happens next, and as I stated before, it was obvious that spoiler[his name would turn out to be covered], and obvious that spoiler[Saeki would figure out that he was the one who did it]. For that reason it felt like there was little value in the plot.

I am coming across as whiny with little patience, and little interest in the artistic side of anime, but that is not true. I do tend to get upset when anime try to be artistic purely to make themselves look artistic, and just end up wasting a lot of time. That may be why I disliked Tatami Galaxy so much, but this series had mostly been tolerable to me until it pulled this stunt of wasting so much time purely for artistic. So people can be smug and say they creative enough to "get it".

Personally I would much prefer it if instead such limited shots the series would instead use something like the symbolism that they used earlier, especially like the scene having him sink into a black abyss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 26