• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Flowers Of Evil (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:

Who said she was the "hottest" in the school?

Yeah, I didn't really think it was like this too...

(she's not like that silver-haired bitch from Oreshura, for example, where everyone stumbles as they fall head over heels for her)

I really enjoy the sensibility in which the show conducts itself... there's just so many interesting details that they try to convey to the audience that feels very much like it was done beneath one's breath.

I actually have to think lol
ssandulak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that might have been the worst first episode I have seen in a long time. Having not read the manga I wasn't really expecting any particular style. I had heard pretty good things about the story (though no actual details) but there is none of that here. I get the pacing may have been on purpose, doesn't change the fact we basically watched 20 something minutes of bland on top of bland. I don't usually drop series after one episode...but now with this, 2 shows this season have nearly caused me to break that rule (Photokano did, and I regret nothing).

There has to be a hook in a first episode, it doesn't have to be big, but it has to be SOMETHING. Character? Nope. Animation? ...*crickets followed by swearing* Pacing? Purposely done, but awful (imo of course). I don't even know if I can muster up the will to watch the next one. This one drained me of enthusiasm...we'll see how I feel next week. I might just check out the manga instead. So if the point was to drive one towards the source material...this may have been a success.
The turnaround this one will have to pull to keep me watching...well I'll be too busy trying to catch a leprechaun riding a unicorn.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
So after marathoning the manga....

Yeah the anime suits. In fact I think the anime does a better job at painting the atmosphere and I think it's going to have greater impact with the story. I'm really interested to see what else they change. To be honest, there were some glaring issues with the manga that I think the anime could do better at.

Already I get the feeling like the characters in the anime are more fleshed out than the manga, even at the end of it. That's saying something.

There's always going to be haters when there are adaptations. You have to judge the anime on it's own merits. I do agree that it lacks the hook for some people. And the pacing definitely could have been faster and I think would have solved that hook issue.

At any rate, I'm excited to see how it goes.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Is the manga's atmosphere as creepy and off-putting as this?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe? I didn't find anything creepy or off-putting about the show. I just saw some high school kid go about his day through a blurry camera lens. And sure, maybe you could argue that it's the point, but if so, I don't think I care to use up my time see this particular incredibly dull and mundane, point portrayed.
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Is the manga's atmosphere as creepy and off-putting as this?

Yes. That is basically the attractive quality of the manga.

After seeing the episode and letting it go around in my head, I can't really think of any other animation style that would suit the manga better. It definitely adds to the atmosphere. As for characters, no, they are nothing special........ yet. Just you guys wait. It gets real. Plot? Eh........ it was a little too slow for my liking. It didn't even finish the first chapter of the manga, so I am a little worried that they won't be able to capture the story. The best thing about the episode is the atmosphere it creates. The PURPOSELY grotesque animation and character designs(people don't seem to understand that the character designs and the animation are made to look ugly on purpose.), coupled with the music (ohhhhh, that ED song) really set the mood for me.

Gotta say, I am really intrigued.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
While I'm particularly interested in Nagahama's storytelling choices (I can't think of an episode of anime that depicts adolescent life as detailed as what I've seen here... kinda reminded me of Gus Van Sant's more experimental work), I'm not gonna lie: fan outrage seems more interesting than the show itself.

Sodium levels so high.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I wish people would stop comparing so much the anime adaption to the manga. I thought this thread was supposed to be about the anime.

Personally, I liked the first episode. It felt intriguing and had a very mysterious vibe. The art style is interesting, but it did not detract from my viewing experience.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I wish people would stop comparing so much the anime adaption to the manga.

At this point, I don't think it's possible... it'd be like trying to get in the way of a freight train.

That said, I really like the anime on its own merits.

People complain about the "look", but I actually like the level of detail regarding body language: in the opening sequence, you see the main character walking and he's in the middle of the frame... there's nothing out of the ordinary going on, but I end up paying attention to little things like how he restlessly looks around... which is interesting because I'm to understand that he walks this same route, day in, day out.

Nagahama mostly has a "hands off" approach to storytelling that's pretty compelling to me.

I'm hoping this continues, but it may (or may not?) depend on how capable the rest of the staff is.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I wish people would stop comparing so much the anime adaption to the manga. I thought this thread was supposed to be about the anime.

Personally, I liked the first episode. It felt intriguing and had a very mysterious vibe. The art style is interesting, but it did not detract from my viewing experience.

I think when that happens you actually find those are the best stories and often times the best anime or manga.

This one in particular is going to be controversial. Guaranteed. There's one part in particular that I'm very interested in seeing how they depict it. And whether or not it even makes it into the anime. And that fact alone (whether it makes it or not) will likely be a massive point of contention between the fans.

But again, that's what makes it good.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
From Tumblr, Vertical Inc. has posted this: http://vertical-inc.tumblr.com/post/47480925580/blog-post-on-the-flowers-of-evil-anime

Here's a sample of it:
Quote:
For established fans of the manga, the first episode of The Flowers Of Evil, presents quite the departure. Not in terms of the story, so far the events have occurred essentially the same. As I’ve already explained, the character designs are completely different, but the departure doesn't stop there.

This show goes out of its way to present itself as strange. Not weird, not quirky, and not random, but strange. The pacing has been slowed down a considerable amount, and the anime uses a considerable amount of time to build its atmosphere which is one of unease. Plenty of establishing shots of rather gorgeous background artwork paired with strange but fitting ambient music that help set the mood and tone of the show. Of course, how the rotoscoped animation fits into the entire piece is important too.

These characters don’t only have a realistic quality to their design, but their movements are, due to the nature of the animations, lifelike as well. All of these factors come together in a neat package to make The Flowers Of Evil an interesting show on its own merit. The creators didn’t just want to create a straight adaption, nor did they want to create something that the market was already flooded with.

I would argue that for these reasons alone The Flower Of Evil anime is worth checking out, of course the fact that it adapts a fantastic manga only helps.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Feeling a little lazy tonight, so rather than come up with a new way to say what I already posted in the Preview thread, I'll just c'n'p:

So finally caught the first eppie of Flowers of Evil and I'm digging it. Thank God the decision was made to go with the rotoscope style. That was just about the only thing that was carrying me forward until spoiler[Nakamura utters her show-stopper 17 minutes plus in] (that and the gorgeously rendered background/insert artwork). The show was being just a little too successful in replicating the banality of high school existence up until that point. Without something novel to look at, that first two-thirds would have almost been unbearable.

Anyway, by the end, I was hooked. Oh, and major kudos to the score for driving home the impending sense of dread.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Banality is right, I watched this at 1.5x playback. It serves to lay the opening characterization, but I hope it picks up in story and we don't wind up with another Texhnolyze. There are other anime I've enjoyed with extremely lackadaisical pacing, mostly Oshii stuff, but they were stuffed with meaning that I don't believe is as realized here. It's really hard to make any kind of initial judgements, we'll need more show, but it does have me intrigued after a second watching, just to see what it's leading to. I have to say, I didn't really get the atmospheric or creepy vibes, just the dullness until the little crescendo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have to say, I didn't really get the atmospheric or creepy vibes, just the dullness until the little crescendo.

Don't know how you missed the creepy vibes. If nothing else the score editorialized rather pointedly on that element. But it was there in the editing and repetition of certain images.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have to say, I didn't really get the atmospheric or creepy vibes, just the dullness until the little crescendo.

Don't know how you missed the creepy vibes. If nothing else the score editorialized rather pointedly on that element. But it was there in the editing and repetition of certain images.

Guess I just didn't find it creepy. Weird, maybe, but nothing remotely unnerving or unsettling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 26