• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces Second Quarter Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote
Everything the above poster said? I agree.

What annoys me the most about their name changes is how completely random they are. For one thing, it's confusing when a ton of people get to keep their names on One Piece (particularly "Japanesey" ones - Nami, Sanji, Zoro, and Vivi come to mind) and then suddenly they're calling a Sandai Kitetsu a "Master Sword", or Nidai becoming Supreme and Shodai becoming Ultimate...

And for another? Well, let's look at Tokyo Mew Mew. They changed Ryou's name to "Elliot". In Shaman King, they call Ryu "Ryo". The crap? "Elliot" knows Spanish, so why not just call him Rio? Seriously, where the hell did they get "Elliot"?

Smoker (One Piece) being changed to Chaser. The reason for changing his name I can understand, but Chaser? Did they take a dartboard and put on random nouns that end with "er"? I mean... at least they TRY and get it close in Pokemon, but even then they screw up some times. Homura and Izumi to Harlan and Isabelle? Good. Then they found out that Nintendo called them different names, so they renamed them "Tabitha" and "Shelly" the next time they appeared instead of sticking to their original names, causing confusion for people who just watched the show. They (oddly) changed Kenta and Marina to Yoshi and Dani, when they actually show up they're called Jimmy and Marina... Jun'ichi is changed to Joey when he shows up for a second time, the first time he was called Jackson. Etc. etc.

If 4Kids is able to make a tolerable name change... well, they'll fudge it up later anyway.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
My Broker gave me a heads up to a listing on Wikipedia that he overlooked:

Quote:
Kahn stated, concluding his interview with the Anime News Network, that "I think they have to understand that because the price of these acquisitions is so high, that if they want this programming to come to the United States then they're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to be available in two styles. Because the only money that can be made that helps pay for the acquisition is obviously whether or not we're able to outfit it for the masses. And fitting it for the masses requires editing. And if we didn't do that, it'd be very difficult for us to afford to bring it in, just to release it to the anime fan who would be looking for the uncut version. I think we're trying to satisfy both sides of that by having it both ways so that we'll be able to afford them."

Now my question is: Why can't Al Kahn do both (Edited for TV AND Uncut) at the same time, or do a staggerted release, where the Edited DVD would come first, and after maybe 2 or so months, the Uncut DVD would enter, thereby giving the kiddies a chance to buy the Edited DVD??
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Exactly. Stagger it, I don't care. Waiting YEARS after the show premieres is just awful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5