• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4 (episode 29)

Whoa boy this was a full reminder that That incredibly terrifying. It got really heavy in this episode.

Going off the episode, that there are words that most of the people cannot understand for resources and what the Beast Titan acted like, I theorise that the language is that of an (or the) outside group that have some responsibility for titans being sent to attack people within the walls. And on that, it would seem that Ymir understanding it has me feeling that she may have a connection to that group, if only for something to do with her being to into protecting Christa for whatever her part is. Reiner does not seem to be able to read it, but the fact that he realises whatever the implication that is with Ymir does leave a question, plus whatever Bertholdt meant by saying Reiner used to be more of a solider apparently different from what he did.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
The new batch of recruits is a bag full of surprises, first Anna is outed as a Titan in deep cover and now Ymir is also revealed to be similar. Quite a few implications given what was revealed last week, so I'll just list a few points and see what others think (at least those who don't already know the answers having read it for themselves):

1. Christa is a powerful scion of the church and has a status far above those of ordinary recruits. She's allowed to talk about church secrets which the high priest from the last two weeks absolutely refused to do.
2. The church has assigned Ymir to chaperone Christa after she joined the recruits. Once she elected to join the scouts, Ymir tagged along despite her stated preference to stay with the Imperial Guards.
3. Ymir can read and understand a language that Reiner and the others are unable to. This combined with the fact that the old fort ruins have unknown provenance despite their proximity to one of the great walls.
4. Ymir is actually a Titan (not as big as Annie but based on the trailer she's not a stranger to transformation) who the church knowingly or unknowingly assigned to guard one of their precious scions. What does that say about the church and the secrets it holds?

Conny is more or less convinced his mother changed into a Titan rather than my older theory that it was a random small titan tossed against the house. The early scene with Titan infighting was somewhat unusual since it expands on what was seen late last week. If Eren's father figured out something about the Titans and how humans are able to transform into them, then that secret is something which probably won't be revealed in this adaptation since the main trio are nowhere near reclaiming the village where Eren's house was.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
Loving these new episodes and all the reveals. I do miss Jean a little bit, he's my favourite character.
Reiner... he's a fun character and I love his 'I gotta marry her!' remarks, but ever since the female Titan appeared I lost my trust in him. It seemed that he hinted at Annie where she had to go. Also, she had him in his grasp and he totally survived. This episode again shows how tough he is. I don't buy it.
It may be a case of severe tunnel vision, but until the last second of the last episode is done, I will be cautious about him.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote

If Christa isn't lying when she claimed ignorance of Ymir's true nature, what was it Ymir said to her during their 1-to-1 at the winter camp?

The animators made it clear in this episode Ymir was the titan responsible for chewing up Reiner's buddy, but it appears neither side realised the identity of the other until this episode. Not sure if Reiner considers the grudge settled since that same Titan kept him and the others alive, if anything next week's episode seems to indicate the contrary.

Based on the first season, Eren's titan form has regeneration and if he's extracted whilst in control he doesn't lose any limbs. Does the system work differently for Ymir? It looks like the group of Titans more or less ate her alive including the all-important nape which might explain why her missing limbs seem to tally with those she lost as a Titan.

As for Ymir herself, she's now very dead so no secrets to be gleaned from her. What's curious is she claimed she was an unwanted child in a similar vein to Christa (Historia). Does that mean she was born a human but with the ability to transform or she was born a Titan but with the ability maintain human form and intelligence making her a pariah amongst Titan-kind?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Well for what I think what Ymir could have meant about her past I am thinking about what I consider the facts from I understand from watching the Attack on Titan Junior High anime. That I have theorised that two of the most important pieces for it all, is the spoiler[identity of the Colossal Titan and Armoured Titan], that the two most likely candidates based off of only anime would be spoiler[the two people who apparently had their buddy chewed on by Titan Ymir]. Which creates the odd timeline that spoiler[Ymir was in a situation that she killed someone, the survivors somehow got the power to turn into Titans, then they brought down the wall, Ymir then considers herself unwanted and abandoned, and is stealing from things from among other places the churches, which know that Christa has some sort of special connection to the truth of the walls].
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

As for Ymir herself, she's now very dead so no secrets to be gleaned from her. What's curious is she claimed she was an unwanted child in a similar vein to Christa (Historia). Does that mean she was born a human but with the ability to transform or she was born a Titan but with the ability maintain human form and intelligence making her a pariah amongst Titan-kind?

What makes you think Ymir is dead,do not over-look Eren's capability to recover from loss of limb and massive internal injury.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well for what I think what Ymir could have meant about her past I am thinking about what I consider the facts from I understand from watching the Attack on Titan Junior High anime. That I have theorised that two of the most important pieces for it all, is the spoiler[identity of the Colossal Titan and Armoured Titan], that the two most likely candidates based off of only anime would be spoiler[the two people who apparently had their buddy chewed on by Titan Ymir]. Which creates the odd timeline that spoiler[Ymir was in a situation that she killed someone, the survivors somehow got the power to turn into Titans, then they brought down the wall, Ymir then considers herself unwanted and abandoned, and is stealing from things from among other places the churches, which know that Christa has some sort of special connection to the truth of the walls].

From the first season to the current run,AoT has not been trying awfully hard to hide the identities of the Colossal and Armored Titans.-Remember that with the exception of Ymir,Annie and Eren both bear a striking resemblance to their repsective Titan forms.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:

What makes you think Ymir is dead,do not over-look Eren's capability to recover from loss of limb and massive internal injury.

She doesn't show in the trailer for next week when they move back to Trost. So I assume she's dead given that big scene at the end.

Not that it matters to you since you're bursting with enthusiasm to spoil it for others with your source material knowledge.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

She doesn't show in the trailer for next week when they move back to Trost. So I assume she's dead given that big scene at the end.

Not that it matters to you since you're bursting with enthusiasm to spoil it for others with your source material knowledge.

Well the AoT's anime adaptions do not exist in a bubble,can not deny that,but I've not replied with any such "spoilers".

Ymir may be alive my contention-Ymir may be dead is your contention.

My argument did not stress Ymir being alive or dead, given what the anime has shown she could be alive or she could be dead.
Eren has been clearly shown(in the first season he also lost a leg and arm) to survive because of his titan abilities, and ,this is my assumption,Krista did not burst into tears as Ymir closed her eyes.

"As for Ymir herself, she's now very dead so no secrets to be gleaned from her."

That is a very strong statement,Ymir being dead would not stop her from providing Hange information,given what we know about her zeal for fact finding,as portrayed in the anime..
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

I haven't read the source material and even I think that it's possible that Ymir is still alive since they didn't actually confirm her death this episode. Her absence from the preview doesn't necessarily mean that she's actually dead. Plus, I noticed that Ymir has the ends of both severed limbs tied off to stop the bleeding. Her closing her eyes at the end of the episode can just be as simple as Ymir losing consciousness. Either way, I'm sure we'll find out next episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Assuming shock from blood loss doesn't kill Ymir, next week should hold all the answers I suppose.

As noted before, some viewers don't care for the source material and are happy enough watching what comes each week. I've been given grief myself from other users for giving source material spoilers or dropping overly heavy hints on what happens on these threads, so limiting the discussion to what has been aired seems fair since there are other outlets for fans of the whole franchise to blag about.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Source material aside (which I haven't read), I think it's a pretty big leap to assume that Ymir is dead. As mentioned, humans able to become Titans seem pretty hard to kill, judging by Erin's recuperative abilities. While it's true that Ymir *might* be dead, I don't think that's the case. Basically, with a show like this one, they'd better show me a body before I assume anything in a definitive way.

I did like the episode, and wonder what Beast Titan thought once he saw his trap torn apart. Perhaps those Titans were just bait to draw the Human Titans in... but then if they're going back to Trost, I guess that wasn't the case. I still do wonder what he was up to in setting things into motion the way he did. He definitely has some sort of goal in mind.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
And Harleyquin notice not one peep about episode 6,I offered a counter to your bold statement "Ymir is dead".

At this point of the arc I'am not giving out "spoilers",not even the well intentioned "just wait till next week" kind.

I will say this the manga is far enough ahead,that the anime could continue for another two arcs-without a 4 year drought inbetween them.

for episode 6,I found the 2 minute recap a bit redundant, lol, I doubt many viewers forgot much from last weeks episode Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 31

Wow. It's funny, even before I saw this latest episode, the old NBC catch phrase "event television" was in my mind. And that's how I view Attack on Titan. It's not just a show, it's an event. My excitement level is always high as I'm about to watch an episode and I'm almost never disappointed. They just keep bombarding you with stuff. So, yeah ... wow.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I knew it Reiner. I KNEW IT.
Normally I'm not observant at all. Having a Sexy Titan avatar apparently helps.

Well... I hope Eren's stupidity won't kill him. Or maybe I do. Would be funny if the 'protagonist' dies. I mean, I could see the Titan squad kill him if he'd refuse to kill humans.
Eren is simple minded enough not to lie and stay true to his motives about freedom for humanity and all. I wonder where his ruthless crazy side comes from and I'd like a flashback of it sometime. Eren isn't exactly a favorite character of mine, but the way he killed the soldiers without batting an eye as a kid always intrigued me. He's far from a shounen hero like in other shounen series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 91 of 107