• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
I love this show, plain and simple.

They have a tendency to be a bit too blatantly obvious at times, but that does not diminish my love for it.

I thought this was a very intense and well made episode - again. The horror and cruelty of this world really are terrifying (that crazy titan - holy ...), and spoiler[Armin's reaction and behavior] felt very real and was heartbreaking to watch. That was actually the first time I started caring about a character in this show. The world and storytelling managed to terrify and engage me before, but the characters were not on the strong side of things. I felt that changed for me with this episode.

spoiler[Both Armin's and Mikasa's realization of the true nature of this world and their place in it, and Eren's impact on their decisions and characters] felt very real and well drafted. I am finally beginning to value them as characters and starting to care for them.

This show is also a perfect example of why I don't like watching currently airing stuff. How frustrating is it to have to wait a whole week for another episode.

And this opening is still glorious.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
I LOVE the opening too. It is just so epic... as was the rest of the music this episode! When Mikasa spoiler[realized she had to kill to survive...] Beautiful.

Really didn't expect spoiler[Eren to act like a weak boy while hiding a knife.] The relationship between Mikasa and Eren is an interesting one. At first I thought it could be a sibling relationship spoiler[(in terms of attachment, not being blood related), but he's basically her hero. Mikasa asking her parents in the beginning of the episode how children are made, must be a clear hint too.]

As for the rest of the episode, agreed with the posters above me Wink.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:32 am Reply with quote
Armin was totally shell shocked.
It was hard enough to deal with Titans, now even humans are giving them crap.
Flashback to Mikasa's past was interesting.
No wonder she is this way now...
Wonder if they'll show us Eren next time..
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
Mikasa is a badass. Liked her backstory and how she and Eren came to know each other. No wonder she's so attached to him.

And my god, are there some weird ass Titans out there. I wonder what kind we'll get to see next.

spoiler[If I don't find out if Eren's dead or not (HE CAN'T BE) in the next episode, I don't know what I'll do.] Because I'll be on holiday when episode 8 and 9 air and the wait will probably drive me insane.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote
Like i said last week, as a fan of the manga i really approve of how they've done the show thus far.

I see the sales in japan have been decent too, im really hoping that they adapt more stuff like this because talking to a lot of the folk who used to be into anime one of the main reasons i hear as to why nobody watches anymore is a lack of shows like this.
Miranox

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what's wrong with Crunchyroll. They announced they're going to release Attack on Titan earlier, but instead they're doing it later. They did the same thing last week too.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
^ According to FUNimation it's another "materials delay" so I assume it's the same with Crunchy. Not surprising given the recent news of unfinished episodes and differing deadlines. I imagine Crunchy and FUNi are towards the bottom of the priority totem pole. It is what it is, just have to be patient.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yawn. This show has some serious pacing issues. >.>

Maybe it's because I already read the manga.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:

It probably is. I've only read the source material for an anime adaptation once and it was one of the most distracting watching experiences ever. Lots of stuff got stuck in the back of my mind while I watched each episode. Constantly comparing/contrasting the two media critiquing what they moved around, cut, censored etc. It made my impression of the anime worse that I probably would have thought otherwise. In the end, I decided that I won't do something like that again. I don't care about being a fair/objective critic or whatever. I just don't wanna distract myself or make my personal experience worse.

Anyway, I thought this episode was pretty great overall. It helped build up the background of the two main characters and gave us insight on what goes through their heads.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:
ScumbagYoshi wrote:

It probably is. I've only read the source material for an anime adaptation once and it was one of the most distracting watching experiences ever. Lots of stuff got stuck in the back of my mind while I watched each episode. Constantly comparing/contrasting the two media critiquing what they moved around, cut, censored etc. It made my impression of the anime worse that I probably would have thought otherwise. In the end, I decided that I won't do something like that again. I don't care about being a fair/objective critic or whatever. I just don't wanna distract myself or make my personal experience worse.

Anyway, I thought this episode was pretty great overall. It helped build up the background of the two main characters and gave us insight on what goes through their heads.

I don't do any of those things. Razz
BeetleBuzz

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I wanna know what's gonna happen to the main character. Looks like the next ep isn't going reveal anything it seems.

*MAD FACE* Mad

As an aside, it's been a long time since I actually watched and enjoyed anime. There just hasn't been anything out there that I care for. This is refreshing. Main character has resolve! None of that beat round the bush mentality.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:

I don't do any of those things. Razz

If you believe that reading the manga somehow made you feel like the show had some "serious pacing issues," then there must have been something you did (or thought about) that made you feel that way, right? It may not be anything I've listed in my personal experience, but I imagine that your statement does indeed have something to do with your comparing and contrasting between the manga and anime. If you want to see pacing issues, watch Chihayafuru 2. Very Happy
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ScumbagYoshi wrote:
Yawn. This show has some serious pacing issues. >.>

I doubt that's the case.

I've read the manga too but I wouldn't categorize what's going on now as "pacing issues." It's just that you know what's going to happen and can't wait to see it animated. Wink

When reading manga, you can read at your own pace. With anime you have 24 minutes and then need to wait a week to see what happens next.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
In a a show that has been delightfully troll-tastic so far, episode 6 took the cake:

spoiler[

It maybe started around the time they get into it with the leading merchant dude and how, when the random small girl in the crowd suddenly notices something, they cut to a shot of a random soldier standing in the middle of the frame (logically, you'd think that they'd cut to a giant slow walking Titan in the distance), only to be followed by this one Titan (with this goofy walk cycle) walking into the frame and bopping said soldier.

The funniest part about all this for me is that all the soldiers chasing down the Titan commentate on how they're completely powerless to catch up to it, despite the fact that it doesn't look like the Titan is doing enough efficient movement to warrant such speed (looks like he has the benefit of having a fast-forward button).

Then they go into the flashback and, after a conversation between Mikasa and her parents that establishes all the members of the family (and, interestingly enough, Mikasa's seeming childishness about not knowing anything about sex, which is later contrasted with the idea that maybe she knew what the real deal was given her observation about how life in the Titan show really works), there's a knock on the door and a subsequent cut to Eren and his father standing outside, who we assume are the people knocking at the door...

After a brief period of non-response, they walk into the house and discover people to be dead, which completely defeats our expectation given the scene presented to us just a few seconds ago.

Then they later cut back to the scene of Mikasa's father opening the door and they don't waste time having the bandit dude randomly stab the guy in cold blood.

Forward to later, Eren randomly shows up at the bandit house (maybe hints were dropped, but I have absolutely no idea how he found this place).

After Eren stabs the guy who answers the door, the other bandit in the room starts yelling in rage/panic, but then Eren does this weird thing where he simply closes the door (complete with this creepy facial expression). The bandit guy then follows through the door, only to be ambushed by Eren who was lying in wait.

This is hilarious to me given that the bandits seem to have fallen for tricks that they used earlier (knock on the door, kill the guy while he's stuck in the startup animation of opening the door).

So they get over the whole thing where Eren murders two people and, shortly after Mikasa is untied and everyone thinks the day is saved, Mikasa suddenly remembers that there were three people who kidnapped her... surely enough, this is followed by the third bandit randomly walking into the room and discovering everyone else to be dead.

The whole episode was like... irony overload: Mikasa is initially presented as this innocent character who seems like she knows nothing about the real world... turns out that she actually knows what the score is and uses this to save the day (and randomly crush the floor boards she's standing on).

]

The long line of trolling was too strong.

The show has awesome tricks.
Miranox

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why you're calling it a "troll". It's just really good at staying unpredictable. Someone already explained how this show crushes the souls and hopes of all the characters, no matter how cute or innocent or main-characterish they may be. That's what makes it so refreshingly different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 107