• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
The only thing I've wondering now is, if Marcel (Jaw Titan) was eaten by Ymir many years ago (So Ymir then inherited the Jaw Titan), then how did it end up back at Marley today, as seen with their battle with the Mid-East Allied Forces? I must've missed something.

They mention how Ymir was eaten by him in this season. They even comment on how unfortunate her name is.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:28 am Reply with quote
63:

Aha, some history lesson.

Apparently, Eldia used to be a terrorizing Titan-ruled nation. Marley, with Tybur as their ally, defeated them and annexed them. They were enemies before. That explains the existing enmity between them. And apparently there was a hero named Helos who paved Marley's way to victory. Now, after glomping the nation of Titans, it's their turn to terrorize other nations. Hurray.

Yeah, all the telltale signs of a fascist regime... with some peculiar Olympian-VS-Titan Greek vibe thrown in there. If you think Marley's "history lesson" reeks of untruths, then hey welcome to History. You know what they say: history is written by victors. Marley is calling the shots on what's true and what's not. And what's this? The Marley higher-ups brushing off Reiner's advice? Hubris that inevitably will cause the empire's downfall? Oh where have we seen this history lesson before? A play just before going to war? Propaganda 101!

And Willie Tybur, whose family is the one pulling the strings in the background, proposing the one solution that will save everyone, which in short he's saying "I'm the one who can save you all!"? Hmm, when have we seen this kind of oration before?

This episode is basically the calm before the storm. Like I said before, this grand finale is going to be Reiner on one side and Eren on the other, with Falco and his friends caught in the crossfire. I'm still wondering what kind of role Falco is playing here.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
The last episode of world-building and character exposition before a big reveal next week. Eren has officially confirmed who he is to viewers who haven't already guessed, he's even asked for a meeting with Reiner before the grand reveal. With an episode title of "Declaration of War", only thing remaining for those who don't follow the source material is who's the one declaring: the Marleyan Empire? Or Paradise Island with Eren as the envoy?

Eren lost limbs and an eye over the four years he and Reiner last met. With this week's episode, it becomes clear that he's been acting as a spy for his compatriots. This is interesting, since the Empire has assumed more than one Titan was required to destroy all of the scout fleets sent to the island over the four year period. If Eren is actually in the Empire itself, that would mean Arwin is doing most of the heavy lifting on his own as the Colossal Titan or the islanders have figured out a way to destroy all of the ships without any survivors sending word back to the Empire with or without Arwin.

The clan which hosts the War Hammer Titan may be the power in the shadows, but the head of the clan who ostensibly wields it is clearly not cut out for the role. A wild card, since he's not going to be as straightforwardly brilliant as the late Scout Commander Erwin or as brave as the reigning island queen. As a figurehead, if he falls to Eren or the islanders the shock to the Marleyans is going to be huge.

I liked the part when Eren met his grandfather. Despite the poker face throughout, it must have been complicated to meet the man who had a huge part in his later birth. Too bad senior Jaegar has completely lost his mental composure, if not his ability to observe conversations and handoffs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:50 am Reply with quote
I am wondering what kind of plan Eren in his cohorts might have come up with. Or more specifically Armin, he seems unlikely to have just gone ahead with ruining a tactical advantage of a surprise that the war might already be there.

I might suspect that they could have gone looking for allies, like whether they have gotten to Willie with the idea of freedom of their people, a question of whether he is selfish or not. Or maybe that Asian/Japanese lady might not be a one off element, that is half of Mikasa's heritage. If the people of Eldia want to stop Marley, they could have allies in all the people countries that have been attacked by them, especially if they don't want the rest of the world panicking afterwards and going after them because of a rebellion.

Eren did get to meet his grandfather.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote

The time for talk is over. One last episode devoted to character development, and moving forward there's going to be plenty of overdue Titan action as Eren and cohorts put into motion the plans they have clearly been putting into place for some time since Eren's infiltration.

The Marleyan Empire have sorely underestimated their opposition. Talk about sending an invasion force to the island is grossly out of date; the other side has long since infiltrated the Empire and has amassed enough information to implement a counter-offensive of their own. Pieck thinks she recognises the soldier who tricked them: she would have if she remembered who Armin was when she was briefly with the elder Jaegar during last season's last stand. He's grown taller and is barely recognisable from the short youth brought back to life. If he's in the Empire, then it's two Titans in the Empire's midst and the island must have figured out a way to stop the scout ships permanently without needing Eren and Armin to personally intervene.

The "brief chat" between Eren and Reiner felt like a confessional for the latter, but Eren has never wavered from his ultimate aim of destroying all of the Titans and is happy to inflict casualties of his own to achieve his aim. He heard what he wanted from Reiner, but I don't think his aim is to eat Reiner since the declaration of war has been accepted by the Paradis Island's devil representative. Another thing I found interesting was Eren recognising Willy Tybur for who he was and calling him by his first name: it seems he's also been working with the clan which claims Mikasa as a descendant since they left the scene shortly after speaking to Tybur.

Next week we find out who the Warhammer Titan is. There is little information for even Eren to work on with this new enemy, but if it comes to a Titan duel I expect Eren to win with some difficulty since the Warhammer Titan has never been tested in battle. Even if the Warhammer Titan is better specced than the Assault Titan, the lack of combat experience is probably going to prove decisive.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
64:

DAMN.

How do you sway the world to think that you're the "only one who can save the world"? By telling them you're the "victim seeking help to save the world". Of course! What better way to influence all other nations to become Marley's allies by portraying yourself not as a hero, but a repenting man who's only trying to do what is "right". The perfect propaganda!

King Fritz, remember him? The "King" of the Walls who turned out to be a puppet and the real king turned out to be Historia's father? Yes, that guy. The one who supposedly only wished for overall peace, and will take the fall if Marley wishes to. Splendid! Portray the main figure of the evil Paradis Island also as the "victim" so that all nations won't see themselves as vanquishing evil, but also rescuing the whole island! That's how you brainwash the world: change the narrative and paint yourselves as the hero, not the villain!

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Eren's not the only one in Marley right now. Of course Armin's here too; I wouldn't expect Eren to trash the whole empire singlehandedly. And if the two are here, you better believe Mikasa's here to get Eren's back (and Levi... you know what, there's no telling just how many of the gang are already here).

The whole heart-to-heart chat between Eren and Reiner? I love it. Eren is fully aware that a war is never a black-and-white situation of good versus evil. Paradis Island isn't necessarily good, and Marley's isn't necessarily evil. But the damages are done, and there's no turning back. Eren doesn't care if he's painted as the Devil; the enemy just does what he has to do. Reiner regrets for essentially sparking this war and making it inevitable. Eren doesn't blame him, at least not anymore. He knew Reiner just did what he had to do... so Eren is just returning the favor now.

Now, let the fun begin.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote
That guy looked surprised when Eren suddenly popped up as the attack titan, but my assumption through all of this is that Eren might have been in contact to convince him to release the secret history. It is clear that Eren has agreed with a plan to paint himself specifically as the enemy of the world so that peace can come afterwards. Feels a little difficult to believe that Marley would themselves want it released that their secret is false and the real hero were the people Marley had been fighting against. The end result would probably give Eldians more freedom, which I don't think the Marley want when they could just use them as an under class.

Eren himself seemed to do the talk with Reiner not out of hatred of revenge, but practically an of forgiveness because Reiner was only a child at the time that was brainwashed, and to understand that what Eren is doing is not out of anger to put the same kind of pain onto Reiner that he did to Eren, but to try and minimalise damage as much as possible.

For a series that somewhat looked like it started on a kind of gung ho exciting series with some fascist iconography, it looks to be turning it around by forgoing that kind of satisfying revenge narrative. Although, Eren would probably want to do as much damage to the Maraleyans in charge that are the most responsible for creating the conflict and probably would conntinue to do so after Eren plays his part as the evil villain to be killed by the hero.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
Oh man, the end of episode 64 got my blood pumping for sure! As Harleyquin mentioned above, we are long overdue for some hot Titan action and we're about to get it. Strap yourselves in, folks, it's gonna be a wild ride!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote

If the animators were to include one conversation scene in this episode, it had to be the start. Very important as well, since viewers get to see what the Marleyans were thinking right up to the point of the speech. The lack of intelligence over the four years has really come back to bite them.

With that, the long awaited showdown between the Assault and Warhammer Titans. As I suspected, Eren is outspecced by the Warhammer, but the turning point comes from battlefield experience. In a short time he realised this Titan was different from all the others they had fought since they became soldiers, and that proved decisive. He couldn't have won alone, so for the Scout corps to use the transformation as the signal to attack shows how desperate the Islanders are.

The battle hangs in the balance; it's clear the islanders are planning something with lights. It's unclear what it is, plus a lot is riding on whether Eren can play his part in eating as many sentient Titans as possible. Not sure if he can consume the Tybur Titan, since they never did break through Annie's protective shell after the first season. As for the Jaw Titan, he's always looked down on Reiner for not being capable enough to assume the responsibility and never faced the Islanders in battle. Now he's going to learn why they survived despite years of Marleyan Titan invasions.

Whatever happens, both sides will have casualties. The Islanders are coming in knowing this is a huge gamble.

Mikasa looks barely recognisable now that she's older. Still crazy over Eren, but I wonder if she's made his peace about the fact that both he and Armin will die before her if she's not killed in combat.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
65:
ACxS wrote:
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Eren's not the only one in Marley right now. Of course Armin's here too; I wouldn't expect Eren to trash the whole empire singlehandedly. And if the two are here, you better believe Mikasa's here to get Eren's back (and Levi... you know what, there's no telling just how many of the gang are already here).

See.

Evidently, there's nothing noble about Willy's plans; in fact, it's more sinister than you think. Wanting to paint Eldians as the true victims but not flinching at sending them to their deaths on the battlefield is no different from simply saying that Willy sees them as expendables. It's like Theo Magath mentioned, even if they call the enemies "Devils of Paradis", they're devils themselves. And Mikasa already pointed out to Eren how civilians are being killed in this raid. In short, there are no good or bad people in war. Too late to talk about rules of engagement at this point.

Now where's Reiner? Home boy's cowering somewhere and missing out on the fun? C'mon, we ought to see a rematch between him and Eren, right? They have a score to settle!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:15 am Reply with quote
Somewhat surprised by how apparently the rest of Eren's friends don't know what Eren was really up to, that he apparently left them some time ago, with Mikasa having wanting him to return. I did totally notice that the Warhammer titan was feet first and thus she must not be in the nape.

Pretty cool seeing the gang, and all in new equipment. Even if they look kind of like war criminals, although what is happening is somewhat nothing compared to what had been put on the people of Paradis.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:09 am Reply with quote
If the second to last episode provided the awesome jolt of Eren going Titan, this one had the thrill of seeing the Scouts in their new badass uniforms and weaponry, with Queen Misaka being her usual kickass self! WOO-HOO!!!

It was sad to see Eren become what he hates, though. Here we see the endless cycle of violence, retribution and war. Your side did my side dirty, so now we're gonna do dirty to you, causing new victims and new bloodthirsty revenge seekers. So it goes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote

Effectively all action this episode. One aspect which people love about this series is back, and the change in studio does not appear to have diminished the visual spectacle.

The flow of battle is still in flux. Once the Marleyans regrouped, it was only a matter of time they would have the upper hand over Eren and the deployed Scouts. Unsurprisingly it takes the intervention of Armin and the Colossal Titan to temporarily turn the tables. I'm half-surprised by the reaction when Armin transformed: it appears the Marleyans gave Bertholdt up for dead but did not completely discount the possibility that the Colossal Titan would fall into the Islanders' hands.

Armin's role was just to transform and eliminate the reinforcements by sea. Unsurprisingly if he's used in this role there's lot of collateral damage. It seems he's come to terms with this like his childhood friends: the carnage does affect him but he's willing to shoulder the burden for however long he still has to live. Levi's decision to choose him over Erwin looks to be justified as well since the zeppelin evacuation idea was his. I was wrong about him being the lure for the Cart and Jaw Titans; that would have been Jean in disguise (the height should have alerted me, also Jean's comment in this episode when he engages the Cart midway through settled it).

After this episode, it's a done deal Eren planned the whole operation using his letters. Commandeering one of the empire's blimps as a means of escape would not be possible if it wasn't planned beforehand. When Mikasa wants Eren to return to his friends, it's a plea asking him to cease his long undercover operation rather than something impulsively thought up.

Regardless, the Islanders will have at best a Pyrrhic victory if Eren, Mikasa, Levi and the other elite scouts are not evacuated. Eren somehow managed to absorb the War Hammer's powers using blood alone, and if Reiner had not intervened he would have had the Jaw as well. If Reiner is still up for the fight, a diminished Eren won't be able to hold him off in his current state. The Cart Titan may or may not survive, but Eren and the others are clearly happy with her dead since the Scouts did not hesitate with their rockets. The Beast Titan is clearly not part of the absorption plan either, but it's unclear if he's still able to fight.

It looks like Gabi might have a chance to kill Eren Jaegar in his human form. I doubt she'll succeed, since Eren's role in this saga is too important to let a child soldier kill him by surprise by this juncture. The aftermath of this surprise attack is one I'm looking forward to: the die has been cast and the Marleyans will definitely try to retake the island even if most of their prized assets are gone or temporarily out of commission. The islanders on the other hand are clearly not done with their adventures in the Mainland: they need Eren for some grand plan he's come up with in his long exile and are willing to see it through despite the heavy cost.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:10 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Now where's Reiner? Home boy's cowering somewhere and missing out on the fun? C'mon, we ought to see a rematch between him and Eren, right? They have a score to settle!

Took you long enough.

Quite ingenious to use the Jaw Titan's teeth to break through the protective shell even if, now that I think about it, it would make perfect sense.

But more importantly here is how Eren and Co. clearly have a plan to retreat. In other words, this isn't the final war; it's just one battle for them. Chances are, their mission for invading Marley is to capture/kill as many Titans as possible. Not all, but as many as they can because 1) they're still inferior by numbers and technology, and 2) it's a strategic war of attrition.

Essentially, this is Guerrilla/Asymmetrical Warfare 101: cripple the enemy's military base, isolate them (that's what Armin did), and neutralize their assets.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Man, that last episode was like something straight outta Hellsing. I had a hard time getting into this season at first (I hate time skips, and there’s too many new characters) but the crazy spectacle now is making up for the slow start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 101 of 107