• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say I am enjoying seeing Marley get its ass kicked. For pure, edge of your seat action, you can't beat this franchise. My heart goes in my mouth every time I see Sasha (potato lover) on screen because I don't want her to die but of course with this show, no character seems safe. No manga spoilers regarding Sasha, please.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the season's going to explore a thing or two about what has transpired in the last 4 years.

Though I just learned from MAL that this final season is supposedly 16 episodes long. That's an odd number of episodes for a series; I'm not sure where it got that number from, either.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:02 am Reply with quote
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:21 am Reply with quote
Righteo!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 am Reply with quote

There was foreshadowing in the previous episodes, but this week was the sucker punch for those not expecting it. For plot purposes, Gabi and Falco will need to survive to the end, but the former is threading very thin ice and could easily die a very brutal death should the others seek revenge for the loss of a dear comrade.

The other twist is what happens on the blimp. It appears the plan was so well thought out because Zeke Jeager was in on it. He too should be dead, and to all intents and purposes he is as far as the Marleyans are concerned. If he's playing the double agent, he needed some way of keeping in touch with the Islanders to coordinate everything. Constantly monitored because of his status, how did he escape detection?

Eren himself is in serious trouble with his former comrades as well. I guessed he made it to the mainland without telling his comrades and without their consent, so the death hits him extra hard since it was certainly avoidable had he not made the journey.

Wrong twice regarding the soldier who trapped the Cart and Jaw. Turns out he's really a she, and she was a member of the original scout ship sent after Reiner and the others were infiltrated. More questions raised; it appears the ranks of the Islanders are swelled by outside recruits won over to the Islander cause. Answers for those should be forthcoming over the coming weeks hopefully.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
67:

Noooo, Meat Girl! But really, there are a lot of revelations here.

What is the primary objective of this mission? Depends on who you ask. I thought it was to attack Marley's port, a military strategy 101. That is, if you ask Eren. If you ask the Scouts though, it's basically to save Eren for nosediving into this mission, successful nonetheless.

But yes, come to think of it, if Eren indeed planned all this and went undercover to Marley on his own, he is a big dick to this comrade. He's the Founding Titan after all; if the Scouts lose him, they would immediately lose the war. Still, if you have to admit: for a rash mission, it was a huge success nonetheless. Too bad they couldn't capture the Jaw Titan along the way; that would've been a huge bonus.

The soldier that Pieck remembered... I admit: I thought he was Armin but I mixed the two up. Who exactly is he? Circumstantially I think he's a Marleyan who defected to the Scouts. Pieck knew him as one of the soldiers sent to attack Paradis Island after Reiner's return, and now she remembered him (too late, unfortunately) despite the terrible disguise. Why the defection? Is it because he's Eldian? Or is it because he's part of Zeke's plan? Or maybe just both?

And speaking of Zeke, now we have the biggest revelation(s). One, Zeke Jaeger... he's Eren's half-brother. The one who turned against their father, apparently because of his treason against the empire. And now, he's apparently committing treason himself by working with the Scouts. Two, why? Why the change of heart? Why work with their enemies (mind you, he's the Scout's enemy all these years)? Because Eldian blood > Marleyan loyalty? Even if the Scouts are willing to work for him (his proposition: work with me, and I will grant Eldians freedom), it's a Faustian bargain: how many Scouts have he killed until now? Three, how the hell is Falco and Gabi supposed to take all this? Reiner's words to Falco is essentially foreshadowing: how is Gabi going to respond when all her undying loyalty to Zeke is dashed when she learns that he's a traitor? Like I said before, the two kids are key characters in this season; I just don't know what kind of role they're playing.

For all the answers we've got so far, and ironically more questions raised as a result, we have only one thing to ask: WTF happened in the last four years?

On a separate note, I can kinda feel that this show is taking on what I would call "The Last of Us Part II" approach. For all the previous seasons, we the audience have been told only the story of Paradis Island. They're the heroes and the martyrs. Naturally, we will root for them. But now, the final season is aslo focusing (and trying to make us empathize) with the Marleyans. Why? As peppered throughout this episode, you can guess it's about the moral of the season: war is bad, no side is exactly good, and many people will die regardless of good intentions.

But The Last of US II got a huge backlash: why the hell would we want to empathize with the enemy? Why empathize with the Marleyans? Likewise, and like many gamers who hated the game, I rooted for Ellie despite her controversial choices, and I'm gonna do the same for AoT: Final Season. Not because they're the good guys; they're the people we've been raised to support from the very beginning.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:50 am Reply with quote
So sad for losing Sasha, our potato girl.

Harleyquin wrote:
Wrong twice regarding the soldier who trapped the Cart and Jaw. Turns out he's really a she, and she was a member of the original scout ship sent after Reiner and the others were infiltrated.

Considering that this show also has Hanji, I am holding off assumptions on Yelen until we see a bit more, with being called "she" limited to what they might be assigned at birth. They do seem at least a little masculine or androgynous.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
Ugh, what I feared would happen, did. I sort of got spoiled about Sasha because I googled her character name last week and my search bar helpfully threw up the phrase "Sasha Blouse's death" thank you very much. But I already had the sinking feeling she was on the chopping block.

I actually don't blame Eren for her demise. The in-world explanation for it showed that the Scouts were extremely sloppy at the end of their mission. They knew the last of the Scouts were on board so why was dude still outside in his harness? Why was nobody at the door to make sure he had some covering fire? Sloppy soldiering.

I also thought Sasha's death was oddly staged by the show. Dude drops in his harness and conveniently stays stationary on the ground while the airship is still moving? Did he have some ridiculously long cable that just kept unspooling? Seems unlikely. Also, Sasha seemed to be in the middle of a group of Scouts, yet she's the one who got shot? I haven't gone back to check so maybe I'm just remembering that wrong.

Ah, the whole thing just blows.

The show seems to be moving in a "finding a way to break the cycle of violence" direction as opposed to the more nihilistic "we'll just continue war forever" thing, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
I got spoiled about Sasha more than a year ago and I wasn’t even on an anime related website (I wouldn’t dare google any character’s name at this point unless they’re already long since dead). Nowhere is safe...
That said, I think the last episode would have had more impact if it hadn’t been so long since I’ve watched the earlier seasons where you spend more time with those characters.
Anyway I’ll admit I am still pretty confused by a lot of what’s going on, it’s hard for me to keep track of and remember a lot of the little details that seem to be important despite having rewatched season 3 prior to starting this one. Hoping next week’s episode gives some insight as to what happened over the past 4 years as the preview seems to indicate.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
After reading your post from last week regarding Sasha, I immediately thought, "Uh, oh boy, Blood-'s really gonna be disappointed next week!".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
And you were correct! *sigh*. It's just part of the cost of watching the Attack of Titan franchise. Only a tiny handful of characters have death immunity and I'm not entirely sure about them, either.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:49 am Reply with quote
I am an episode behind, so trying no to read the comments about the latest episode...

So far the last season was a mixed bag for me, it was cool to see the 'other side' in Marley, but I kept wondering how and where has Eren been sending his letters- who was receiving them? Maybe it was explained but i missed it. I presume there were restorationist spies within Marley who wanted to bring it down, and that Willy and co got a whiff of it.
Not sure what Willy's game was- he sort of revealed the truth to the people, who instead of scratching their heads and thinking maybe the whole thing was pointless started cheering for another war idea... but this time supposedly justified?
And how on Earth did such a huge technology jump happened on Paradise Island in 4 years to all of a sudden have transportations/flying ships, knowing 4 years prior there was nada and they saw the Ocean for the first time.

That being said I really enjoyed the action. Aside from annoying brainwashed kids, Attack on Titan has always been great at delivering a satisfying ripping off arms and legs galore, this was no different.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote

There won't be any action for a while, since there's an aftermath to deal with from the orgy of action the last few episodes. I'm happy with that, since this episode answers very important questions regarding the gap between the events of the present and the end of the last airing.

It took Marley a year to send ships to the Island after Zeke and the others beat their retreat. According to Eren, it was pure coincidence which allowed them to seize the scout party and subsequently the ships and their crew. Technological transfer between continents and islands has always been done through people and this series is not making any exceptions for this. It took the captives three years, but the expertise and military intelligence they provided surely proved the catalyst for Eren's eventual infiltration of the continent.

Interestingly, Eren's opinion of the Marleyans was much like Gabi's of the Islanders prior to his infiltration. If he wasn't lying during his session with Reiner, then he's softened his view of the Marleyans but not enough to give up his original aim of exterminating all of his enemies whatever the cost. Turns out the grand plan is the equivalent of causing a nuclear winter on the world the inhabitants live in, so I'm hoping Armin retains sway over Eren and the others to try to stop Zeke Jeager from getting what he wants.

One gesture that particularly struck me was Nicolo inviting Sasha's family to eat his cuisine (naturally for free). I was impressed Sasha's family accepted, it took courage to make that offer and magnanimity to accept. If offers like that can still be made, perhaps it's not set in stone that the series will end with the Eldrians either destroying the world or holding everyone else to ransom as its overlords.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:23 am Reply with quote
68:

I'm starting to miss Potato Girl so much already ( ;_____;)

Basically, almost everything I speculated in my previous post is quite on the mark on what basically happened the last 4 years. Zeke became a traitor of Marley for the sake of Eldians. Yes, Eldian before Marleyan... or is it? From the meeting, you can tell how hostile the reception is when it comes to Paradis Island working with the Beast Titan. Dealing with him diplomatically is just a nicer way of saying making a deal with the devil. His deal makes sense—the next episode's title "Sound Argument" is an apt indicator—but in war, can you really just rely on rational thinking? Like Levi and many others on the island, my gut feeling tells me that Zeke has an ulterior motive. We can't tell for sure if he does or doesn't, or what his motive is, and that's the scariest part.

The other elephant in the room: Yelena and Co. As I suspected, she's a Marleyan defector and I had to wonder what made her do it. Simple: it's revealed that she's not even Marleyan by birth, but by forced citizenship from an annexed nation. Yeah, rationally speaking, her defection makes a lot of sense. But still, I can't blame Commander Pyxis for treating her like an enemy even after 3 years of alliance.

On the topic of working with the enemy and rational thinking, imagine this: you've been at war with an enemy since time immemorial. One day, two people from the enemy's side decides to work with you. Just like that. Offers you all the intelligence you need, the kind that your home country would hang them for. How would you feel about them? Happy? Sure. Skeptical? Definitely for me. How am I supposed to take a person who instantly turns her back on her country, captive or not? Rationally, I'd think of her of a godsend. Instinctively, I'd be suspicious of her the most out of all the enemies. Biggest issue for me about people like Zeke and Yelena who betrays their country on a whim: how do I know they won't betray me? The most dangerous enemy is the kind whose motives are questionable.

Really? Reeeeeally?

Last edited by ACxS on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:53 am Reply with quote
For Eren, he does not have a huge amount of time left, makes sense why he is not super hot on just letting time take its course.

Do hope that the talk of religion and stuff is not like some sort hint at a revelation that there is like some cult around seeing the founding Titan as a god, and Zeke really does want to bring his god around against the non-believers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 102 of 107