• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gantz Gantz Revolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
All I can say about Gantz is my brother ordered the old ADV DVD's as I guess Rightstuf was trying to clear them out and we got about 2 episodes in before we declared it one of the worst things we'd ever seen. I think he eventually threw those DVD's in the garbage which was probably for the best.
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
When I got my driver's license in Ohio you had to pay a few hundred dollars to got to Driver's Ed. and then had to have your temps for like 6 months before you could take the test(written and driving) for those under 18. People over 18 didn't have to get temps or do classes, they just took the test.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As far as I can tell actually, she seems like she is trying to be relatively objective in how she reviews the anime. I've seen reviews before where she indicated something was not her favorite type of anime, but she still gave it a shelf-worthy rating, ostensibly because it met her criteria. ...
Calling it objective is still asking for trouble.

Her subjective view on where the anime stands against explicit criteria is still her subjective view, its just easier for readers to get an idea if they are likely to share her assessment than if it was a "gut feeling" for each specific anime without any explicit criteria.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
All I can say about Gantz is my brother ordered the old ADV DVD's as I guess Rightstuf was trying to clear them out and we got about 2 episodes in before we declared it one of the worst things we'd ever seen. I think he eventually threw those DVD's in the garbage which was probably for the best.
Your brother has bleh taste, then. Laughing

IAS, though, the show rubs some peepz the wrong way. Guess he just couldn't handle it. Twisted Evil
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Banken wrote:
I think loanability is a valid criteria.

Especially when it comes to people who don't watch anime. Is an anime good enough to serve as a gateway title, or do we simply forgive the cliches and bad parts because we are anime fans?

Because there are a lot of series that we personally like, but would never want to show to a non anime fan, or a very casual fan.

I don't know about you, but I don't go to an anime specific site to read anime reviews that factor in how non-anime fans, or very casual anime fans, might feel about a title. That's just stupid. And why assume that the only reasons why somebody may be reluctant to lend a title is because it is cliched or has bad parts? Serial Experiments Lain is probably not a great lend for a non-anime or casual anime fan - does that make it a potentially unshelfworthy title?

Anyway, time for me to drop out of this conversation. Nobody will ever convince me that lendability should play any meaningful role in a title's rating and I don't feel like continually repeating myself.

OK, for example Cowboy Bebop is pretty much the perfect gateway anime for adults. It doesn't have any of the silliness and cliches that anime fans understand are normal in anime, and it's quality as a series is some of the highest the industry has ever seen.

Thus, it has excellent lendability. This is a series you want other people to see, and not just anime fans.

Therefore, lendability is a valid criteria for a review.
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
"loanable" is in my opinion very hard to make into a blanket term. It would depend on each individuals set of friends ex: how open or closed minded, how well they take care of the goods, etc etc.

So "loanable" shouldn't factor in at all unless everyone here has the same set of friends with the same set of pre-drilled in hollywood / U.S. entertainment values.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5