• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting an Anime store.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I have always wanted too start an Anime store since i was a kid and now that i am an adult i would like to make it a reality.I am currently looking into starting one but the problem is i don't know what distributer's to go through for my merch.I have no idea how much it cost for the merch.I would like too sell Anime dvd's, Blurays, Manga,Body Pillows,Visual novels,Figurines and other odds and ends.I understand how to purchase a building and start up the business i just don't know where to go through for the merch itself.I would also like too know in order to make my business Sustainable would i have too charge msrp or could i charge and in-between price in-between Rightstuff.coms prices and msrp prices?
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
▼Yeah, probably not at all. Sorry.

Last edited by GDFan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Is that necessary?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
First things first. Where are you located? How big is your market likely to be? Are there other stores in your area with which you would have to compete? Most anime fans, those the spend money at least, buy online. How will you compete against online retailers?

Before you start worrying about suppliers and pricing, you need to spend some effort on market research. Unless you are living in a college town with lots of anime viewers, or in a major West Coast city with a large Asian population, I fear you won't be very successful.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
The first thing I suggest you do is improve your English writing, judging by this thread at least. Not many, if any, companies will take you seriously if they get an email which reads like it was written by an overenthusiastic 15 year old.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
First things first. Where are you located? How big is your market likely to be? Are there other stores in your area with which you would have to compete? Most anime fans, those the spend money at least, buy online. How will you compete against online retailers?

Before you start worrying about suppliers and pricing, you need to spend some effort on market research. Unless you are living in a college town with lots of anime viewers, or in a major West Coast city with a large Asian population, I fear you won't be very successful.
Thanks for the information sir it was alot of help.I am fortunately in a college town and in an area where no other anime stores exsist.I also figured everything else out.Next i just need too know where to get merchandise and how much it generally cost.I am also looking into market research.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
Do you have an independent anime store in mind that is serving as your model/ideal? If so, why not get in touch with them and ask if you can come and talk to the manager, spend a day helping out or something?
In my experience (of independent bookstores at least), people can be very kind and collegial — and especially if you're not thinking of going into business in their own town as a direct competitor!

You might strike it lucky and get yourself a mentor, or at least learn something useful.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
The first thing you need to obtain is a wholesaler's license. You can't just call up distributors and say, 'hi, I own an anime store and would like to purchase your merchandise at cost please,' otherwise EVERYONE would do that. You need to set up your business and file the necessary paperwork to become an LLC before you can even think about obtaining your product at a price that will allow you to resell it for a profit.

My advice would be to set up a webstore before you invest in an actual brick-and-mortar endeavor. It's FAR less expensive to get going and there's way less risk involved. The best part is that you can still become an LLC and obtain wholesale merchandise without worrying about monthly rent, utility bills, insurance, etc. Find someone who can develop a professional looking website for you and get things going that way. If you find yourself turning a decent profit, then I'd consider speculating potential storefront opportunities.

Good luck!
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
You may also want to figure out how you're going to be profitable. Not trying to sound sarcastic. Having a brick and mortar store is tough.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
You may also want to figure out how you're going to be profitable. Not trying to sound sarcastic. Having a brick and mortar store is tough.

Tough is an understatement. Unless you have investors wanting to look into you business and think it can be profitable and not to mention even getting a loan to be able to open to open your own store. Banks these days are very strict with giving loans to anyone. Opening a business is very risky and not something one feels like just does. You have to be committed and willing to lose lots and lots of money.

The merch is the lest of your problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
I have always wanted too start an Anime store since i was a kid and now that i am an adult i would like to make it a reality.

Why are you asking this question on an anime forum that talks about anime, not business?

You seem to have very little understanding of what it takes to start a business, let alone run one.

Sorry to be factually blunt, but you shouldn't allow your passion of anime to run your business. It's foolish, since many stores are closing as people use the internet to make purchases.

But I'll do you a favor and play along here, just in case you're "serious" about this.

First and foremost: you need to register your business with your state, who'll then provide you with the necessary paperwork you will need to interact with other businesses. Without it, you won't even get the time of day from them.

Second, you'll need capital, and judging by the extensive catalog you wish to offer, you'll need $100k, minimum, to start out. If you're going to do a physical store, make that $250k.

This will get you off the ground for a few months, so if you don't have this kind of money, you'll need a business loan, and this means you'll have to make a business proposal in order to convince the bank to lend you money.

At most, you should have at least $25k ($50k is recommended) as a down-payment. This will show sincerity you're willing to risk your own money to your business.

Assuming you have everything set in stone, you'll need to contact vendors, and there are two ways to do it:
You can contact the manufacturer directly -or- you can work with a local wholesaler, such as AAA Anime or Great Eastern.

When you do such, they'll outline a purchase agreement, and you'll be required to buy "X" units at "Y" cost. There is always a minimum purchase, so be prepared to market these items to your customers.

As for pricing, know your market. If you can swing selling merchandise at a reasonable price above wholesale cost, then go for it! It's about making money, so you want to offer prices less than MRSP (which is a bullshit price to begin with).

But this will come down to how much it will cost to run your business. If the costs are $2000/day, then you need to make sure you can generate enough sales to cover that cost.

Also, don't think you'll work for "free" to run your own business. It's against the law not to pay yourself a reasonable salary, so don't forget to include this in your business costs! You'll be surprised at how many people forget to do this and if you get audited, that's a very costly mistake to make.

I concur with starting an online business rather than a shop in your college town where there's less than 1% market penetration. With an online shop, all you need is a web site and a storage/working facility (such as your garage, but I do not recommend using your own home as a business as this will affect your mortgage and any credits you get!).

The costs will be much lower, and you won't be required to have as much capital to get the business going, and it may be more attractive to a bank to offer you a loan.

By the way: who will be doing your accounting? Make sure you keep track of every red cent you earn, because new businesses have a higher risk of audits.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
I have always wanted too start an Anime store since i was a kid and now that i am an adult i would like to make it a reality.I am currently looking into starting one but the problem is i don't know what distributer's to go through for my merch.I have no idea how much it cost for the merch.I would like too sell Anime dvd's, Blurays, Manga,Body Pillows,Visual novels,Figurines and other odds and ends.I understand how to purchase a building and start up the business i just don't know where to go through for the merch itself.I would also like too know in order to make my business Sustainable would i have too charge msrp or could i charge and in-between price in-between Rightstuff.coms prices and msrp prices?

If you haven't already, I suggest hitting up your local community college and seeing if they have a business course you could take. I imagine it would answer a lot of your questions and maybe give you some tips on how to make yours successful.
BTLshow.org

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Granted, there is a great deal of research and paperwork you must follow through with, from a legal standpoint. You should start with finding out what it takes to open a business under state and municipal law. Even online-only businesses have their share of laws to abide by.

I've seen quite a few business plans put together, shops open and close and a very few successful shops remain in business. Recession doesn't help your ambitions either.

ailblentyn has the right idea. Why not start with a simple "internship" or apprentice under an existing vendor. I'm sure you could find any number of them at conventions, but don't work for just any of them (find a reputable vendor, there's also a lot of the not-so-reputable kind).

With an existing and "successful" vendor, you might get a better feel for what it takes to make it in the business.

First wrap your head around what it is to operate a business, then start thinking about the market you wish to pursue and whether it's feasible. It's not that you can't pursue this dream, but you're gonna have to really want it and prepare to sacrifice.

The response from Mesonoxian Eve offers an idea of what it could take; there are even more variables than what was outlined in the response.

If you have the drive and put forth the effort, do your research and consult with successful business owners and you may find success in your endeavor.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:
I have always wanted too start an Anime store since i was a kid and now that i am an adult i would like to make it a reality.

Why are you asking this question on an anime forum that talks about anime, not business?

You seem to have very little understanding of what it takes to start a business, let alone run one.

Sorry to be factually blunt, but you shouldn't allow your passion of anime to run your business. It's foolish, since many stores are closing as people use the internet to make purchases.

But I'll do you a favor and play along here, just in case you're "serious" about this.

First and foremost: you need to register your business with your state, who'll then provide you with the necessary paperwork you will need to interact with other businesses. Without it, you won't even get the time of day from them.

Second, you'll need capital, and judging by the extensive catalog you wish to offer, you'll need $100k, minimum, to start out. If you're going to do a physical store, make that $250k.

This will get you off the ground for a few months, so if you don't have this kind of money, you'll need a business loan, and this means you'll have to make a business proposal in order to convince the bank to lend you money.

At most, you should have at least $25k ($50k is recommended) as a down-payment. This will show sincerity you're willing to risk your own money to your business.

Assuming you have everything set in stone, you'll need to contact vendors, and there are two ways to do it:
You can contact the manufacturer directly -or- you can work with a local wholesaler, such as AAA Anime or Great Eastern.

When you do such, they'll outline a purchase agreement, and you'll be required to buy "X" units at "Y" cost. There is always a minimum purchase, so be prepared to market these items to your customers.

As for pricing, know your market. If you can swing selling merchandise at a reasonable price above wholesale cost, then go for it! It's about making money, so you want to offer prices less than MRSP (which is a bullshit price to begin with).

But this will come down to how much it will cost to run your business. If the costs are $2000/day, then you need to make sure you can generate enough sales to cover that cost.

Also, don't think you'll work for "free" to run your own business. It's against the law not to pay yourself a reasonable salary, so don't forget to include this in your business costs! You'll be surprised at how many people forget to do this and if you get audited, that's a very costly mistake to make.

I concur with starting an online business rather than a shop in your college town where there's less than 1% market penetration. With an online shop, all you need is a web site and a storage/working facility (such as your garage, but I do not recommend using your own home as a business as this will affect your mortgage and any credits you get!).

The costs will be much lower, and you won't be required to have as much capital to get the business going, and it may be more attractive to a bank to offer you a loan.

By the way: who will be doing your accounting? Make sure you keep track of every red cent you earn, because new businesses have a higher risk of audits.
Well i'll have you know i finish Highschool in 2 months so yes i know nothing of how Business works..I want too start this business perhaps before i go too college or just skip college all together and just start it..That's why i asked on here they're are alot of smart individuals who understand how the brick and mortar anime store works.Excuse me for asking a simple question you apparently have nothing better too do then sit on the internet and be rude too people who have serious aspirations because your own miserably failed.

Last edited by Hiro94 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiro94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:

If you haven't already, I suggest hitting up your local community college and seeing if they have a business course you could take. I imagine it would answer a lot of your questions and maybe give you some tips on how to make yours successful.
Thanks for the advice!Ya my father recommended taking some business courses before i try starting anything.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2