• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Gets 5.7% & 5.9% Ratings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
It's a shame this isn't getting streamed officially.
I thought FUNimation might have licensed this and streamed it considering they licensed the Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection movie.
Ah well...
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Why wasn't this reviewed in the Preview Guide? Is it an OVA, or does one have to see the original to understand it?

Its an airing of an OVA from last year.

For the record, it's still listed in the Spring lineup: animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2013/spring/#short

It might come down to either a lack of time, or a lack of access to the episode.

vulcanraven01 wrote:
It's a shame this isn't getting streamed officially.
I thought FUNimation might have licensed this and streamed it considering they licensed the Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection movie.
Ah well...

There very well may not be any announcement of a licence for this series outside of Japan for quite some time. They're selling the Blu-Rays region-free with English subtitles so it's likely that they want to maximise their sales overseas of the Japanese discs before they'll entertain eating into that with any overseas licences. If any company does have a licence agreement now, it may not be contractually allowed to disclose its possession before an agreed-to date.
yuhsaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
If you have seen the original 1974 series, how better is Yamato 2199 compared to the original?

It moves faster, it actually has a budget, and there's far more depth written for the characters. The cheesier elements have been removed too, so it's all around a much more convenient anime to recommend to Yamato newcomers, since it's difficult to recommend a 39 year old series, even if it is out of BD now. Even to someone accustomed to watching older anime, there comes a limit when things just become too archaic, and the early 70s television anime straddles that line. It's not the same as watching Tom & Jerry on BD or the Looney Toons, which basically become timeless. Truly old anime is just...rough, but Yamato does avoid a lot of that with the unchanging Leiji designs of people and ships.

Yes, the story does move faster. I really like that the characters are given more depth and improved upon. For example, Yuki has specific functions now instead of all-knowing all-around role. Those roles are now given to the new girls on board.

More attention are given to details (for example, maneuvering thrusters , impact of weapons etc). They retained most of the original sound effects and modernized them. Not to mention that they retained the music and introduced new ones. They want a remake that doesn't lose most of the atmosphere of the original series.

Basically, it improved on the original Yamato series. I can't wait to see the next episodes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
A spokesperson for MBS said that the largest demographic of viewers of the show were those between the ages of 35-49, followed by viewers 20-34 and children 4-12.

How do they know this so far Anime hyper kinda scary

No doubt the same way The Nielsen Company here in the United States would have the same data on any broadcast TV show; via a sample of selected people that consented to be monitored.

It could also be done via something as old fashioned as a telephone survey of a small percentage of households.

Either way, nothing scary about it at all.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:12 am Reply with quote
I hope Funimation gets this for simulcast even if it's a late announcement.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks to all who replied about my questions on how Yamato 2199 compares to the original. I already suspected that it had a better executed, more tight story telling. I am glad about that. As much as I love the original series, I feel that certain elements could have been done better.

I have seen several clips and trailers of 2199, and two things stand out to me. The first is having more female protagonists. I am especially intrigued by Kaoru Niimi and Akira Yamamoto (I think she is the white haired girl). The other thing that also attracts me is that the Gamilus side of things seems to have been better fleshed out.
Gambeno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
This show is amazing! I have been importing the BD volumes and they look fantastic. The video quality is top notch and the story and music, everything is amazing. I love that they kept the 70's style music just arranged it. Really amazing.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Gambeno wrote:
This show is amazing! I have been importing the BD volumes and they look fantastic. The video quality is top notch and the story and music, everything is amazing. I love that they kept the 70's style music just arranged it. Really amazing.

The people running the show know their audience. The bulk of the target audience are the original show's fans. They want to see something that keeps very very close to the original but has improved animation and storytelling. That they have delivered without problem.

The music is a very big part of delivering that. The show wouldn't be the same without the original music (for me personally the Yamato soundtrack is my favourite soundtrack of all time of anything, to me it eclipses even Star Wars), so they kept it pretty much the same as the original. The big reason it sounds so much like the original is that it was arranged by Akira Miyagawa, the son of the original composer Hiroshi Miyagawa. The younger Miyagawa has already added a few completely new pieces to the series. The first volume of the soundtrack has been available since late last year, and the second volume of the soundtrack will be released in late May around the same time as the fifth Blu-Ray/DVD.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big Yamato fan, but I haven't yet gotten to the new series in any real way, aside from clips here and there. It seems as though, and I could be wrong, that they've added some blatant moe elements to it, which I feel doesn't belong in Yamato.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm a big Yamato fan, but I haven't yet gotten to the new series in any real way, aside from clips here and there. It seems as though, and I could be wrong, that they've added some blatant moe elements to it, which I feel doesn't belong in Yamato.
Leiji Matsumoto's way of drawing beautiful women, including when working on the early Space Battleship Yamato anime, can be considered moe, depending on how the eye shapes were treated and their state of innocence(Be Forever Yamato's Sasha Kodai for example).

Hopefully, this show will continue going strong in the ratings. And I hope that commercial successof this series will convince Enagio to get back to working on a sequel to 2009's Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection (the fifth theatrical film set in the original SBY Universe) spoiler[since the story that began in that film isn't yet complete as Susumu Kodai still has yet to find his missing wife Yuki Mori (note the text shown at the end of the film's end titles)]. It would be a dumb idea for Enagio to not go back to the original SBY Universe's timeline spoiler[while the Yamato Resurrection story is left unfished].

Last edited by stararnold on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Leiji Matsumoto's way of drawing beautiful women, including when working on the early Space Battleship Yamato anime, can be considered moe, depending on how the eye shapes were treated and their state of innocence(Be Forever Yamato's Sasha Kodai for example).

Hopefully, this show will continue going strong in the ratings. And I hope that commercial successof this series will convince Enagio to get back to working on a sequel to 2009's Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection (the fifth theatrical film set in the original SBY Universe) spoiler[since the story that began in that film isn't yet complete as Susumu Kodai still has yet to find his missing wife Yuki Mori (note the text shown at the end of the film's end titles)]. It would be a dumb idea for Enagio to not go back to the original SBY Universe's timeline while the Yamato Rresurrection story is left unfished.

This is how spoiler tags are used. Kindly use them when revealing the plot of a movie that many in the forum won't have seen yet (largely because Funimation are yet to release it).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:

Granted, and I'm glad you brought that up. But I feel like there was more of an elegance there rather than just a warm and fuzzy "I want to protect this woman" ideal. I guess you might consider Yamato Nadeshiko (pun intended) to be a kind of moe, but I don't find any compulsion to see Yuki Mori as being necessarily a subject of feelings of protection any more than any other character in the show, other than being the main protagonist's love interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

How can you even stand to watch Evangelion? You should be hating Asuka and Rei for their blatant moe qualities. Will your rebuttal be: "No, that's different because I say it is!" ?

Yamato added more women and stopped being as sexist, what is your goddamn problem? How dare they add women?
stararnold

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
stararnold wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Hopefully, this show will continue going strong in the ratings. And I hope that commercial successof this series will convince Enagio to get back to working on a sequel to 2009's Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection (the fifth theatrical film set in the original SBY Universe) spoiler[since the story that began in that film isn't yet complete as Susumu Kodai still has yet to find his missing wife Yuki Mori (note the text shown at the end of the film's end titles)]. It would be a dumb idea for Enagio to not go back to the original SBY Universe's timeline while the Yamato Rresurrection story is left unfished.

This is how spoiler tags are used. Kindly use them when revealing the plot of a movie that many in the forum won't have seen yet (largely because Funimation are yet to release it).

I apologize for the error. I should have stopped to think about the Funimation part, even though it did get shown at the Fanatsia film Festival 2010. I guess for a while, I was starting to lose hope on the R1 DVD release ever occuring so as to explain my error in this forum. Again, sorry.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

There is only one character who comes across as particularly moe in design or personality (the 17 year old Misaki), but that's about as far as it goes as far as I can tell. It's made pretty clear that the female characters can look after themselves and don't require protection - they're members of a fighting force with the same duties, responsibilities and abilities as the male complement. The show's not even particularly fanservicey, save for the uniforms and one or two specific moments. They've also completely eliminated Analyzer's skirt-flipping tendencies, which is a welcome change for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4