• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Red Data Girl TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
<sigh> I was interested in RDG (while knowing nothing about it beyond some _very_ basic concepts and the studio involved, since I've seen none of the trailers, promotional art, or synopses), but my interest level in streaming it drops significantly with the news that Funi's picked it up because of their lousy service... ;_; Although I really don't like to blind-import from Japan, since that can lead to a costly mistake, I have done so before. Hmm...

There's always the (rare, due to learned pessimism) chance that I might purchase a future Funi complete-series BD set (I don't even know if this is one or two cours ^^; ), _if_ they can provide a release that's up to NISA/Nozomi quality as far as on- and off-disc materials are concerned. I'm sick of the standard bare-bones releases from Funi and ADV, and I usually avoid them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
There's this magical thing called "fansubs", you know.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sweet, now I don't have to watch fansubs Very Happy
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
BRB, going to tweet about it and make Reading thing that I'm tweeting about FUNimation owning the rights to them.
mckg1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
might check this one out.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
There's always the (rare, due to learned pessimism) chance that I might purchase a future Funi complete-series BD set (I don't even know if this is one or two cours ^^; ), _if_ they can provide a release that's up to NISA/Nozomi quality as far as on- and off-disc materials are concerned. I'm sick of the standard bare-bones releases from Funi and ADV, and I usually avoid them.
It's one cour (6 2-episode volumes) and there's not going to be a lot of on-disc materials, so Funi will have their typical release extras: "textless OP/ED, trailers, Eng audio commentary, Funimation trailers" Given the issues they've had with brightness issues, I wouldn't blind-buy a newer Funi release without screencaps.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There's this magical thing called "fansubs", you know.

I'm well aware of them, and have been watching them for a couple of decades. They're just not my preferred way to watch a show these days.

I watched the first episode via fansub last night. It was pretty intriguing, and looked pretty good, too (well, not so much the CG cars and helicopter). ^^

ultimatemegax wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
It's one cour (6 2-episode volumes)

Yeah, I came across that bit of info somewhere, last night.
Quote:
there's not going to be a lot of on-disc materials,

I'll keep an eye on the Japanese release info for both discs and packaging.
Quote:
so Funi will have their typical release extras: "textless OP/ED, trailers, Eng audio commentary, Funimation trailers"

So their usual bare-bones, no-effort release, but if there's not much to the Japanese release, I might not hold that against Funi this time.
Quote:
Given the issues they've had with brightness issues, I wouldn't blind-buy a newer Funi release without screencaps.

I definitely don't blind-buy Funi or ADV releases these days. I'm not likely to bother with half-series sets for their two-cours titles, either. There's no need to spend more than I have to with those two companies (whereas I will still pre-order/readily buy the single-cour sets from NISA and Nozomi, and singes/boxes from Aniplex).
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
agila61 wrote:
... and AFAIU the source of the rumor is identical to the rumors that Funimation would be streaming Red Data Girl, spelunking around the nooks and crannies of their site for pages being readied for an announcement and running across announcements or series pages for RDG and AoT.

STOP! I'm trying to hold onto my positive vibes regarding RDG being streamed on CR. And You Are Ruining It! I'm going to blame you guys for all my bitter tears of frustration if CR doesn't get it!

But wait... Isn't this article saying RDG was picked up by Funimation? I suppose I should just assume you meant AoT and not RDG in your post... Otherwise your powers of denial are stronger than mine. LOL

Anyway, while I would have preferred CR for streaming, I am glad that Funi picked up the series, since that means it will most likely get a dubbed BluRay release and not be outrageously priced with only subs, no matter how much I would have loved an NISA art book from the show.
RedRidingHoodie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I got a big question. How many episode are there in this whole series? I'm really hoping there isn't just like 13 episodes..):

Crying or Very sad
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
RedRidingHoodie wrote:
I got a big question. How many episode are there in this whole series? I'm really hoping there isn't just like 13 episodes..):

Crying or Very sad
At the moment it's listed as having 12 episodes total.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
But wait... Isn't this article saying RDG was picked up by Funimation? I suppose I should just assume you meant AoT and not RDG in your post... Otherwise your powers of denial are stronger than mine. LOL

Anyway, while I would have preferred CR for streaming, I am glad that Funi picked up the series, since that means it will most likely get a dubbed BluRay release and not be outrageously priced with only subs, no matter how much I would have loved an NISA art book from the show.

Yeah, I was pretty exhausted when I wrote that. I did mean AoT. Still holding out (a sliver of) hope that it'll be on CR. But, yeah, Funi probably picking up the license to release it here in the US would be the silver lining if they do end up streaming it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2