• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release 1st 2 Madoka Magica Films in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

If this was an official English release, they would likely rid the commentary extras in the first place (like they did with the series' release), either to discourage reverse importing or because it's a bit harder to translate and sub them than the series itself. This, however, is the Japanese release being imported to the West, so the commentary is going to be on there, but translating it would take way too much effort for what it's worth--especially in all the other languages as well.

Wait, it's hard to translate the commentary? Isn't it scripted?

Forgive me if you're being sarcastic and I can't tell... but just in case you're serious, I'll answer the question anyway.
The commentary is not scripted here. They may have a few scripted questions or concepts to talk about, kind of like an interview, but the commentary is basically a bunch of the voice actresses and creators sitting down and talking over the movie while it is playing (they are watching it on their own screen during the recording session). Because it isn't scripted, the speech is far more casual, and thus, much faster and denser, making it much more work to make subtitles and time them and everything on a BD/DVD.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Forgive me if you're being sarcastic and I can't tell... but just in case you're serious, I'll answer the question anyway.
The commentary is not scripted here. They may have a few scripted questions or concepts to talk about, kind of like an interview, but the commentary is basically a bunch of the voice actresses and creators sitting down and talking over the movie while it is playing (they are watching it on their own screen during the recording session). Because it isn't scripted, the speech is far more casual, and thus, much faster and denser, making it much more work to make subtitles and time them and everything on a BD/DVD.

So that's why...

Dunno if this can be dubbed though (will probably be on DVD). It will probably require the Blu-Ray to sell out...
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
So that's why...

Dunno if this can be dubbed though (will probably be on DVD). It will probably require the Blu-Ray to sell out...

Well, let's put it this way...
If Aniplex USA sees potentially great money-making out of releasing a domestic product, we will probably get one. If they see money-making out of the concern for a dub, we will probably get one.

And this is only MY uneducated guess (it just seems reasonable to me at this moment), but they may actually wait to release a domestic product until all three movies are out and they can advertise the previous movies with the new content.
Then again, their business model itself seems to contradict that, since this would be the perfect release for the fans. But... considering that's what this imported release it doing, I feel like it's reasonable that they'd wait.
ssandulak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Trying to predict Aniplex is like trying to catch a unicorn mounted by a kindly old leprechaun. Only there's less likely to be any awesome unicorn rides, or gold...just heart break Very Happy
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ssandulak wrote:
Trying to predict Aniplex is like trying to catch a unicorn mounted by a kindly old leprechaun. Only there's less likely to be any awesome unicorn rides, or gold...just heart break Very Happy

What if I said I've done it before?
ssandulak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Then ride that lightning good sir or madam, because I want on that magical fairy boat of awesome.
bhl88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
bhl88 wrote:
So that's why...

Well, let's put it this way...
If Aniplex USA sees potentially great money-making out of releasing a domestic product, we will probably get one. If they see money-making out of the concern for a dub, we will probably get one.

And this is only MY uneducated guess (it just seems reasonable to me at this moment), but they may actually wait to release a domestic product until all three movies are out and they can advertise the previous movies with the new content.
Then again, their business model itself seems to contradict that, since this would be the perfect release for the fans. But... considering that's what this imported release it doing, I feel like it's reasonable that they'd wait.

If they did about dubbing, they would have dubbed the movies.

They will probably leave the movies out as usual on Blu-Ray but the DVD is expected to be dubbed
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
If they did about dubbing, they would have dubbed the movies.

They will probably leave the movies out as usual on Blu-Ray but the DVD is expected to be dubbed

Forgive me if I misunderstood your grammar/typo, but are you saying something like,

"If they did care about dubbing, they would have dubbed the movies.
They will probably leave the dub out as usual on Blu-Ray, but the DVD is expected to be dubbed."

...?
If that's what you meant to say, then I think you might not understand what this is. This release is an imported release. It is the release coming out in Japan, at the same time as Japan. They have no dubs for the movie right now because they've had no time to dub it in the first place and this is meant to be an early release (copy-pasting the dub from the show wouldn't work because the timing in the movie is slightly off and some lines were changed very slightly or added in very briefly).
It's separate from a domestic release in the West, which, if it happened, would most definitely have a Blu-Ray release that includes the dub (especially if it were to be re-dubbed, since the sound quality would be higher than a DVD). It would also likely be a good decision to release a DVD for a cheaper price as well, like they did for the series itself.

Aniplex is, as was just said before, very hard to predict. In a way, their business model (selling high-priced, but collectable goods to dedicated fans) is a good one because it just about guarantees sales that will bring them their expected profit. At the same time, they're not completely ignorant to the crowd who wants some of their shows, but can't afford limited collector's editions of everything they release, so shows like Madoka are given a cheaper DVD release as well. Since these movies are, at least for the Western audience, just an upgraded version of an already-released show, we may not see the same kind of treatment given to them due to lower sales expectations. But maybe they're confident they can release them anyway, due to their exact sales model.
We won't know until there is an announcement.
bhl88

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

...?
If that's what you meant to say, then I think you might not understand what this is. This release is an imported release. It is the release coming out in Japan, at the same time as Japan. They have no dubs for the movie right now because they've had no time to dub it in the first place and this is meant to be an early release (copy-pasting the dub from the show wouldn't work because the timing in the movie is slightly off and some lines were changed very slightly or added in very briefly).
It's separate from a domestic release in the West, which, if it happened, would most definitely have a Blu-Ray release that includes the dub (especially if it were to be re-dubbed, since the sound quality would be higher than a DVD). It would also likely be a good decision to release a DVD for a cheaper price as well, like they did for the series itself.

Aniplex is, as was just said before, very hard to predict. In a way, their business model (selling high-priced, but collectable goods to dedicated fans) is a good one because it just about guarantees sales that will bring them their expected profit. At the same time, they're not completely ignorant to the crowd who wants some of their shows, but can't afford limited collector's editions of everything they release, so shows like Madoka are given a cheaper DVD release as well. Since these movies are, at least for the Western audience, just an upgraded version of an already-released show, we may not see the same kind of treatment given to them due to lower sales expectations. But maybe they're confident they can release them anyway, due to their exact sales model.
We won't know until there is an announcement.

I was mentioning Gurren Lagann movies. They should have enough time for that...
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Kara no Kyoukai's abbreviation is particularly obtuse

I'm not certain that I've even seen it mentioned before. "Kara no Kyoukai", I expect. Heck, even "KnK" I'd probably recognize after a moment or two... ^^; "Haganai" is almost as bad. ^^

I bought the KnK BD set via TRSI, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the product (except for still not having watched the last movie or two ^^; ).

Kara no Kyoukai - there's the etymology for you :)

Yeah, I can see that. Once I know what title the shorthand's referring to, how the title got from point A to point B is obvious...
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Will wait for a NA domestic release.

If it never happens, so be it.

Mark Gosdin

13 months later...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred if they offered all three movies in one set.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Unless my eyes are deceiving me, is the store price actually *HIGHER* than the SRP? Shocked

http://madokamagicausa.com/movie.php
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that's a typo. I'm assuming it will be $10 cheaper than MSRP, the way the DVD versions are. Assuming that's true, $70 ain't bad for the BD/DVD LE. By AoA standards.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm guessing that's a typo. I'm assuming it will be $10 cheaper than MSRP, the way the DVD versions are. Assuming that's true, $70 ain't bad for the BD/DVD LE. By AoA standards.

Has to be...in the same announcement, the Gurren Lagann Movie Blu-Rays have the same MSRP and that's $69.99. Although I will admit...I find it confusing how the Gurren Lagann movies continue to get the shaft with regards to its potential English dub, when they're selling the Madoka recap movies at the same time...with an English dub.

I may get around to double-dipping for Madoka. I'll probably also wait until the US release of Rebellion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9